Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

RDM on MacOS, what ...

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I recently installed the RDM Enterprise 2019.1.6.0 on my MBP.
I do not find/understand the BAD working under mac os...

• I want to open the website when I double click an item, not the item itself. Like in my windows RDM. Where to change?
  • Hide the application, so that just the menu bar icon is visible. (Like in RDM Windows). Now you will have to keep the app open, it stays in the open applications at the bottom...
  • When I click an item in the menu from the taskbar it opens the item, in the app, instead of the link of that item? What is the use then of that menu bar icon? Now you to right click an item, it already opens the item of the app (=BAD, RDM application window pops out), and then choose Naviage URL...
    This is terrible behavior!
    How to solve this?

In MacOs AND windows, the taskbar item cannot select a vault. It only shows the items of the selected vault from the full app?
Devolutions video's encourage to use vaults but also make it possible then to choose the vault from the taskbar menu.

A lot of work to do Devolutions ...

Clock5 mths

Hello,

I have moved your post into the RDM Mac section and I assigned it to our engineering department as well.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi skor,

For your first point, this is most likely because you are using Website Information entries instead of Web Browser Session entries. That being said, you are right, the default behaviour in RDM Windows seems to be to open the Website entries when double clicking it. This must have changed at some point and the change never was applied to RDM Mac. This should be easy to fix.

As for you second point, I beleive I understand what you want but I am not entirely sure this is possible in the macOS ecosystem. Usually (in macOS) for an application to not have an app icon in the Dock, it would need to apply such a settings when building the application and this is not supposed to be changed at runtime later on. At least this was my initial assessment. I've found some promising lead with a quick search, so this might be possible in the end. I'll file the improvement feature for this.

And for your last point, I'm assuming this is the same issue as your first point. That is, that you'd like the click on a Website entry in the RDM menu item to open the website and not the entry information tab. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I understood you correctly, this should be resolved with the first point fix.

As for the Vault selection, I've mentionned it to the RDM Windows team lead. This should be simple to add.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

You need to use website and not web browser session entries because only these have Equivalent URL's!

For the second point:

That's possible in MacOS. Others do it as well. (1password, ...)
Hiding the app icon is not a major problem as long as it does not open every time I open an item from the menu bar icon.

The extra annoying thing is that (point 3) you first have to right click and then directly a window opens with that item. I don't want that screen. It bothers me a lot because I have to click it away every time then.

And indeed the menu item icon should show the entries, AND you should be possible to change vault (also a problem in windows), and last but not least choosing an item opens the site directly without opening anything else.

BUT ALSO FOR BOTH MAC AND WINDOWS (VERY URGENT):

YOU're people/video's encourage to use different vaults.
I did that, it's fine, BUT this gives a lot of problems like described above, the taskbar icon in windows and menu icon in mac has forgotten this, which is bad.
BUT ALSO, the Chrome EXTENSION is not foreseen to work with different vaults.
RESULT: If I open a site it does find/fills in the credentials if you RDM program has not to correct vault selected.
THIS IS REALLY A MAJOR problem.
You now have to open RDM application, search or select the correct vault where the wanted site is in, and go back to chrome, open a new tab/window again, ...
This is too difficult.
Also creating a new item, starting from chrome: you have to watch out where he creates the item. It creates it in the last selected vault of the RDM application... Not good. Ask where or think of a general place to store this.

I hope you these problems solved ;-)

Clock5 mths

Hi,

I should be able to resolved all the issues you've mentioned that refer to RDM directly. As for the issue with the web browser extensions, I'll redirect them to the relevant team.
Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Here are the fixes done that will be available in the next release of RDM Mac:

• The default action of a Website entry is now to launch the URL through the configured mode (External, Embedded or Undocked). This applies for both the double click action on the connection tree in the main window of RDM and the single click action on website entries in the Status Bar Item menu of RDM.
  • A Preferences option was added to hide the Dock icon of RDM. The location of this setting will be as follow: Preferences -> User Interface -> Menu Bar and Dock -> General -> Show icon in Dock.
  • As the default action of the Website entries has changed, a single click should be sufficient to open said entries in an external browser (given that they are configured for it). I've made additional adjustments to prevent the application main window from being shown in those instances.
  • The Vault selector menu item was added to both the RDM Windows trayicon menu and the RDM Mac Status Bar menu. You'll find it just below the menu for the Datasource selector.

As for the issues relating to the interaction between RDM and Devolutions Web Login, there are restrictions in our architecture (especially concerning the application of the security settings) that prevents us from fetching individual entries from Vaults that are not loaded (selected). I do not believe it is forecasted to change in the near future. Note that I have informed the relevant team though.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Great, thanks!

I will test it as soon as it becomes available.

Do you think the vault selector will be available in the windows version in the near future? (ask your colleagues...)
I already have 10 vaults (printers, servers, telephony, switches & routers, ..., so I need to change quite a lot.)

Korstiaan

Clock5 mths

Hi,

This will be in the RDM Windows 2019.1.40 release. Though there is no ETA for it yet, I'd suspect somewhere in the next few weeks.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Thanks, no problem!

As I told already in another forum topic:

I now that Devolutions works very FAST on resolving issues like this!!!!

Clock5 mths