Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Bug: RDM randomly minimizes

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

When working/clicking in open RDP sessions I randomly experience a bug where it minimizes RDM. I seems like I'm clicking on the program or desktop that's "behind" the opened RDM and it therefore minimizes RDM in the front.

Some other colleagues have the same issue.

- Riccardo

Clock10 mths

Hello,

Are you using RDM in a Citrix or Terminal Services environment?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais
signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Yes, we're using Citrix with Terminal Servers.

Clock10 mths

Hello,
Sorry to jump in. We already had some reports of this kind of issue in Citrix environment. Unfortunately, our current environment does not allow us to test this properly.
That being said, we have been able to gather various solutions/tests which worked for some of these cases. For this reason, I would recommend testing these solutions in a test infrastructure:
1- Go under File -> Data Sources -> Settings –> set Auto Refresh to 0
2- Install RDM 2019.1.20 and check "Disable tree list DirectX optimization" under File –> Options –> User Interface -> Advanced.
For this step don't forget to export the configuration and transfer it back to the default.cfg file as explained in our online documentation about the Installation of RDM on Terminal Servers https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/installation_terminalservices.htm
3- Under File –> Options –> User Interface try the different theme in order to see if this issue still occurs.
I hope that one of these solutions/tests will work for you!
Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have an "Auto Refresh" Setting in my Data Source options.

I've checked the "Disable tree list DirectX optimization" and will see if there are any improvements.

Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock10 mths

Hi James,

The problem still occurs from time to time.
I've checked the "Disable tree list DirectX opzimization" and set the Auto Refresh to 0 seconds.
My colleague is using the default theme and I'm using the Office 2016 (Dark) theme.

We're planning on updating soon but we have to update our DPS database first.

Do you have any other ideas?

Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock9 mths

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have other tests that you could try at the moment. That being said, since the issue only occurs from time to time now, I suspect that the update might help solving this behavior.

In the meantime, I will see if I can find anything else for you to try.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Hi James,

The issue still occurs from time to time.
Did you find a solution to the problem yet?

Currently version 2019.1.41.0 is installed.
Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Sadly, we still do not have other tests that you could try at the moment. It is unfortunate to see that updating RDM did not solve this issue.
That being said, could you please provide me your Terminal Server version? I will see if I can find anything with this information.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

We're using Windows Server 2016 Version 1607 (Build 14393.3274).
Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock4 mths

Hello,

Sorry for the delay on this, to gather more information on that matter.

That being said, could you please tell us which version of the Citrix Server and Citrix Receiver are you currently on?

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

We're currently using Citrix Version 1906.1 and have the latest Citrix Workspace App installed.

The problem also occurs on the local device.
Therefore I don't think Citrix is the problem here.

Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock4 mths

Hello Riccardo,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Do you happen to know how many time per week this issue occur on your local workstation? Also, does this issue still occur for many users or just you?
In order for us to be able to test this on our end, would it be possible for you to export you configuration file and send it to us? I will send you a link via private message in order for you to be able to send it to us.

For more information on how to export your configuration, please refer to this link:
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/howto_configurationfile.htm

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi James,

I've uploaded the config files.

It depends on how much I'm using tool for working on remote servers.
On a busy day I usually get the bug 3-4 times a day.

We have multiple employees with the same problem.

Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock4 mths

Hello Riccardo,

Thank you for this file. We will perform a few tests on our end and then get back to you with the results.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I just wanted to inform you that a ticket has now been assigned to our QA department in order to see if this issue can be reproduced on our end using your configuration file. We will be in touch as soon as possible.

For further reference, the ticket number is QA-1160.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello Riccardo,

Are you by any chances running RDM in fullscreen in Citrix?

Based on old topic from Citrix: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/347772-why-does-citrix-receiver-minimize-full-screen-applications/ , closing the "Self Service Plugin" would be a workaround for this kind of issue. Would it be possible for you to close it and see if this issue persist? This test would allow us to gather more information on that matter.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi James,

Like I said, the problem also occurs on the local device.

I'm using a lot of other applications in fullscreen in Citrix and don't have the problem with them.

Best regards,
Riccardo

Clock4 mths

Hi,

We've been aware of this issue that apeared the last 2 years here and there on the forums. I've on my part tried to solve it at first without success.
After asking questions left and right all the customer had all that citrix factor in common, this is why our first question that came for your post was to ask if you had that environment.

Knowing this and seeing that all your users are experiencing like you say and on your local computer, this lead to believe It's a problem really specific to a certain environment, or else we would have this forum filled with the same topics. It is a very uncommon issue.

I've spoken with citrix support yesterday and we discussed what could possibly be causing this issue, could be Citrix UI setup, could be RDM component triggering this issue when used, we just don't know. We only know It's a specific environment issue.

I couldn't proceed further with them as they support is paid support, but they told me if the user experiencing this issue that has a paid support license could submit a ticket to review this specific case.

We've been really trying on our side to figure out what the issue is but we just do not have the environment to reproduce this specific bug. We're not giving up either, we're still going to theorise and do what we can to find a fix or a workaround for this annoying bug.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi,

Any news in this case?

I'm experiencing the same issue on both Windows 2012R2 and now Windows 2019(only a couple of times in my test RDS 2019 farm). Not using Citrix but plain RDS solution from Microsoft.
I've got 25 users running RDM and all users are experiencing the issue. Some 10-20 times a day and some only 2 times a day. It even differs from day to day. Where one day it might be very annoying and the next day it only happens twice.

The issue occurs usually when switching between tabs in RDM or when changing to a different program in Remote Desktop.

Microsoft had an error with a fix for Windows 2012R2 a while ago that in the description are equal to my issue. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3103000/remoteapp-windows-disappear-and-screen-flickers-when-you-switch-betwee The fix does not have any effect on my W2012R2 RDS farm. I also experience the issue on W2019. The weird thing is that it is only with RDM experiancing the issue. All the other applications in my RDS farm are working. RDM also used to work until a year and a half ago.

It seems to be irrelevant what Remote Desktop client version the user have installed.

Does it help that I have the same issue with plain RDS? Could it be something with window handling and states of the process when not being active?

Best Regards
Stein-Are

Clock2 mths

Hi @Stein-Are,

Could you tell me how many screen do you have connected to your computer and what thier resolution is?

Also my colleague would like to know if your authentication to your datasource is SQL azure AD and if there's an auto refresh set on it.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

I have the same issue on a local windows 10. 4 screens.

2 * 1920*1080
2 * 2560*1080.
Issue happened on 2560*1080

Data source is Devolutions online drive

Clock1 mth