Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

ED25519 unsupported

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Ed25519 is a public-key signature system (like RSA or ECDSA) supported by all major SSH clients (like Putty, MobaXterm and other native SSH clients). When I'm trying to authenticate myself with a server using RDM 4.9.1.0 the connection instantly drops (not even asking for the passphrase of the private key) and the log file states the following error:

Unable to load private key (file format error)

Are there any plans to support Ed25519 in the future?

Clock2 yrs

I will ask our team to check this.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes we have a plan to add ed25519, as well as ECDSA, which is also missing. I can't give you a time frame right now, but I hope to have it available within 2 months. We will also add at the same time key exchange as well as encryption and MAC algorithms that are missing from our current implementation and bring it to a level near OpenSSH.

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I also get some near identical error message, when connecting from RDM to a OpenSSH server (on windows server 2016 v1703)
An unknown SSH error was encountered.
Couldn't agree a key exchange algorithm (available: curve25519-sha256, curve25519-sha@libssh.org)
Is this error message relatable to the above subject?

Clock2 yrs

The error above reflect that the Windows 2016 OpenSSH server is configure to accept SHA256 or ED25519 private key.

Could you confirm this is the type of key you are using to connect to the server?

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,
That is indeed the case. Out of the box, Windows Server 2016 v1703 with OpenSSH server only has ED25519 key with SHA256 available.
In the mean time i've found an article which describes how to install other key exchange algorithms which is supplied as beta by github.
I've installed those keys, and now RDM can connect to the tunnel.

Clock2 yrs

Hi, is there a near future ETA for this feature? I know the 2 months number above was not official or anything, but every time I setup a new server and run into this lack of feature parity with (other terminals), I get really frustrated. Deprecating Putty before you had ed25519 support was not a good decision, either. It was a hassle having to configure up a Putty profile to use ed25519 keys, but now its not even an option. Now the workaround is to duplicate a profile that I already had a putty session for the workaround to work.

I thought you had a more rapid development cycle but seems you have 4-5 month development cycles and just put out a free update yesterday. I checked the release notes, and no mention of ed25519 support. (I am looking forward to "Added support for VNC vino's auth 18 (TLS)", if that allows VNC to Ubuntu VNC server out of the box.)

So based on that, and enterprise releases coming after free ones, I wouldn't expect this feature for yet another 6 months. That is really disappointing.

Edit: Saw on another thread to click the ... to show deprecated options. That was a good idea even if I didn't notice it myself.

Clock8 mths

Hello,
The enterprise edition has been in beta for more than a month and it's about to be released this week with a final version. I know that this is on our todo list and it's high priority. I will double check with Denis our main Terminal programmer.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hi,

The support for ed25519 is already available in the enterprise beta version. So it will be available in the next official version as well. It comes along with other algorithms and a brand new terminal. I realize we need an official spec for our SSH support and a way to keep it up to date. Sorry for the long delay...

Regards

Denis Vincent

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

For anyone coming to this thread from google search, ed25519 support has made it into the stable enterprise build.

Thanks, guys!

Clock8 mths