Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Launch CMD Line Connection as another user failing

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I have create a CMD Line session that launches SCCM Console, however I need it to run as another administrator. This is a team connection that uses Pleasant Password as the credential repository. This being the case I cannot set the credentials within the root settings of the connection. I can have it prompt for Pleasant Password credentials, however the connection fails once the credentials are selected.

How would you recommend setting up this session so that the SCCM console .exe runs against credentials from Pleasant Password successfully?

Session information:
Credentials are set to inherit by default.
Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\bin\Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe"
Run As tab: None

I have tried the credentials and "Run As" in different settings but they usually come back as failed. The users set their session credentials in the "User Specific Settings".

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I think that this issue is caused by the fact that the User specific setting won't allow you overwrite the content "Run As Tab" field.
CommandLine

In order to make this work, I think that you will need to use the dropdown menu in the "Run As" section of your CMD entry to select of the following (depending on your scenario):

1- Select "My Personal Credentials" if the "Admin User" is different for each of your users and point it to your Pleasant Password entry.
CMDPleasant

2- Select "Credential Repository" if the "Admin User" is the same for everyone and that you already have a Pleasant Password entry created in your Vault.
CMDCredRepo

3- Select "Credential Repository" and point it to a credential entry within your Vault. Once this is done, you will need to do a User Specific Setting on that entry and check "Override Credential" and then select "Private Vault Credential". This will allow you to have your "Run As" use the Admin credential stored in your Private Vault.
CMDUserSpecific

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

CommandLine.jpg
CMDCredRepo.jpg
CMDPleasant.jpg
CMDUserSpecific.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Options 1 and 2 ended in a failure to open the session, and option 3 still opens the app under my local user account and not the correct Admin account.

i know i can create a short cut on my desktop with the C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:domain\username /savecreds "mmc \"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\bin\Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe"" in front of the run line, which I am assume this is what RDM is trying to do (or something along those lines). I am correct in that or is RDM leveraging another way to "run as" a different user?

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience. It seems that this issue is caused by a bug.
I just opened a ticket and it has been assigned to our engineering department.
I will notify you as soon as I have any update n that matter.

For further reference, the ticket number is WIN-1098

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks James

Clock2 yrs

has there been any update on the resolution of this issue? I have been updating RDM when the update role out but i am still seeing this issue.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I will get in touch with our engineering department and I will notify you as soon as I have any update on that matter.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

So i've been a bit busy and have not had time to get back to this issue. I did have a screen session time setup with an engineer a while back but they never showed up, and i never heard back about a rescheduling. We are starting to roll out RDM to our entire IT team, and I would like to have this resolved if it all possible.

Clock13 mths

Hello,

I have verified and indeed, the remote session was rescheduled a few times and we didn't heard back from you then.

One of my colleague will contact you soon via our support mailbox to schedule a remote session today or tomorrow to have a look at this issue.

Sorry about the confusion.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock13 mths

Hello,

After a discussion with our engineering department, I created a feature request in order to add the "Private Vault Search" in the dropdown menu of the "Run As" tab of a Command Line entry.

I will notify you as soon as I have more information on that matter.

For further reference, the ticket number is Devo-739.

Best regards.

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock13 mths

I posted the same thing in the feature request forum yesterday. great minds.

Clock13 mths

Hello,

Glad to see that we had the same idea haha.

That being said, thank you for the remote session today. I am happy to see that everything is now working as you wanted using the workaround that we provided.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock13 mths