Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Error after upgrading to RDM 13.6.4.0

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Just upgrade RDM from 13.6.2.0 to 13.6.4.0 and I've run into an issue. This morning, RDM 13.6.2.0 worked fine. I upgraded to 13.6.4.0 and once I launched RDM, I received an error "Unable to save the user in the database! Object reference not set to an instance of an object":

I click on "OK" and get a message "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials! Username: ":

I click on "OK" again and the same popups come up again (I'm guessing one set of popups for my SQL datasource and once for my local datasource?). Anyway, it was fine this morning (prior to upgrading) and I had no errors while upgrading. I ran the 32-bit and 64-bit both normal and "Run As Administrator", same results. With RDM 13.6.4.0, I tested the database connection for my SQL datasource and have no issues:

Thanks

Testing database connection.jpg
Unable to save the user in the database.jpg
Invalid username or password.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Hello,

EDIT 2 - NO DATA LOSS, updgrade to our latest release and all should be back to normal.

EDIT 1 wrote:

EDIT - POSSIBLE DATA LOSS!It appears that for some users the workaround causes the loss of the private vault content. Please ensure you have a valid backup prior to any upgrade attempt.There are two choices at this timeBig Grinowngrade to your previous version (RECOMMENDED)Perform the fix at the risk of losing your private vault, obviously with a proper backup we can help you restore its content.

--------------------
Original response wrote:
You do not mention what authentication model you’ve chosen, but in the case of Windows Authentication, a workaround is to edit the datasource and simply press Save.please let us know if that does work for you.

--------------------
best regards

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes, I'm using integrated security. I edited the SQL datasource and selected OK and that resolved the issue. Thanks for the quick update.

Clock2 yrs

One thing that I just noticed is that my private vault entries are gone now. Are they (possibly) orphaned somewhere? They have my credentials stored in them.

Clock2 yrs

hello,

they are tied to the username, so most likely orphaned

in the user list, do you see two accounts with a similar name?s

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No, nothing similar. I added new entries back in

Clock2 yrs

hmmmm

losing one's private vault would be a serious bug. If you have the time, I'd like us to poke around in the DB.

If you agree, just contact us at ticket@devolutions.net and mention this thread.

best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

exact same error for me going from 13.6.2 to 13.6.4.

uninstalled 13.6.4 and want back to 13.6.2 and everything is fine. I don't think I had anything in my private vault as I never used it (there's nothing there now anyway, i used to have 1 item in there but don't recall if i deleted it since it wasn't used in along time)

edit: using MSSQL datasource and integrated security

Clock2 yrs

Exactly the same error ... machines having 13.6.2 work fine.

Clock2 yrs

Also had the exact same issue after upgrade to 13.6.4.0. Edit and resave of the datastore allowed program to run but entries in Private Vault are also now gone. I'd say you have a "serious bug" on your hands.

Clock2 yrs

Thanks for notifying us, I have edited the initial response.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Could you try this patched version. I've have rollbacked another fix.

https://cdn.devolutions.net/download/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.13.6.4.1.zip

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Just tried the patched version and I can confirm that I have access to my private vault again, ty! Also deleted the new user account that was created with a blank name.

Lesson learned - don't be tempted to install beta releases soon after release. (though I must admit I've been running beta for years and rarely have had issues.)

Thanks for getting out a patch on a Sunday - amazing support!

Clock2 yrs

Thank you for the test. This was not a beta version but it seems that a fix another bug broke this one. We will try to find a real solution. I will build a new official version 13.6.5.0

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I can't test the update (but I did update to RDM 13.6.5.0 this morning) and didn't have any issues. Everyone who was impacted by this had already done the initial workaround (edit the datasource and save it again).

After the workaround, I recreated the Private Vault credentials. Would like to test to verify that the original credentials (or the recreated private vault credentials) are gone - basically checking that there is only one set of PV creds. I sent an email to ticket@devolutions.net

Thanks for the great (weekend) support!!

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

As per my tests, the private vault sessions we're not displayed RDM 13.6.4.0, but they we're still there.
If you create a new entry in the Private Vault, the new entry was displayed, but not the old ones.

In RDM 13.6.5.0, the old entries in the private vault are present, but not the new one that I have created in RDM 13.6.4.0.

Have you recreated the same private vault entries?

Regarding the User Specific Settings, are they still functional?

Do you still want to do a remote session with us?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes, everything is functioning fine (as far as I can tell). I recreated the PV entries in 13.6.4.0 using the same names (so that the existing searches would work as they did previously). If I remove RDM 13.6.5.0 and go back to 13.6.4.0, I should be able to remove the "new" PV entries that I recreate then I can upgrade to 13.6.5.0 and the "old" entries should still be there. Is that correct?

Clock2 yrs

I, too, appreciate the expediency of the response to this issue. My private vault entries were all present and accounted for after updating to 13.6.5.0.

Not to add more to the plate, but it appears that the 13.6.5.0 version is no longer pulling credentials from RDM via the browser extension. I'm on 6.0.6.0 of the extension and 13.6.5.0 of RDM and none of my credentials are being populated.

Clock2 yrs

@STGdb,
As per my test, if you go back to RDM 13.6.4.0, you will see the entries that you have created in that version. Deleting them and go back to RD M13.6.5.0 should display the entries that we're present in RDM 13.6.2.0. This is the scenario that I have on my computer.

@ASE IT,
Glad that the private vault issue is resolved for you. Regarding your web login issue, could you open a separate thread please.
It would be easier to follow and provide solutions to you.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks for all of the updates. What I did was downloaded 13.5.6.0 (RDM older versions) and did a fresh install on another PC and connected it to the same SQL DB (I had closed my original RDM). Then I upgraded to 13.6.4.0 on the fresh install and went in and removed the PV creds and verified that they were gone (the new ones that I had created with 13.6.4.0). Then I launched the my 13.6.5.0 install from my desktop (the RDM that I use daily) and the PV creds were still there (which would have been the original PV creds).

Duplicates gone, original PV creds available. Issue resolved.

Thanks again for all of the help!!

(comments updated - originally worded incorrectly)

Clock2 yrs

@STGdb,

Glad that everything is now working has expected.

I will close the ticket that you have opened by sending an email at ticket@devolutions.net as well.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs