Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Mac version so much slower/less responsive than Windows version

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Some in our company use the Windows version, and some use the Mac version.

The Windows version is much more responsive than the Mac version - feels like using a single threaded application versus a multithreaded one.

Is there plans to improve the performance of the Mac version? Or is there a setting to toggle on the Mac version to make it perform better?

Also, secondarily, everyone who uses the Mac version has the same issue where when first launching, they are forced to login again. The prefilled username and password apparently is wrong or has invalid credentials, because each time mac users attempt to log in it says the username and password is wrong.

Clock3 yrs

Hello Danny,
I will assign this thread to Xavier. It's our Mac expert. Unfortunately he is on vacation but I'm sure he will be able to investigate your issues.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

By the way, we are working on porting RDM to 64 bit. This could make a difference on MacOS.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Danny,

We always try to work on improving general user experience. What could help us in this situation is if you could go into specifics. Could you give examples of what is slower and less responsive? This will help us prioritize and focus on what matters the most.

Also, secondarily, everyone who uses the Mac version has the same issue where when first launching, they are forced to login again. The prefilled username and password apparently is wrong or has invalid credentials, because each time mac users attempt to log in it says the username and password is wrong.

Now this definitely sounds like a bug. That being said, I'm lacking some crucial information to start investigating this. The credentials of what exactly are you referring to? Is it the credentials of the data source? If so, what data source are we talking about? Or the credentials of the DOD account linked to the application? Or are you referring to launching sessions and not the app itself?

As mentioned above, I'm away from the office until the 21st of August. I'll start investigating this as soon as I come back.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Xavier,

I've attached screenshot - every time I launch the application it prompts for the login

I've substituted the email that gets auto filled with <email>. The password has some value pasted in there, but it is incorrect. When hitting Connect to connect to Devolutions Cloud it says invalid credentials.

If I paste the correct password then it works obviously, but the auto filled on start up is wrong. I would expect it to save the correct one so when restarting the application it'll auto log me in, but it always inserts an incorrect password.

As for the responsiveness, it's more of just clicking on a system and seeing the beach ball. I will say after switching to the Classic User Interface things have become much better. Will give that a shot in the meantime and update this thread if there is anything specific that pops up

Clock3 yrs

Hi Danny,

I would have expected a check box at the bottom left of that view offering the option to save the credentials. I'll have to investigate this further.

There is another way to change the Cloud Account saved credentials. Just go in the Preferences under General -> Cloud Account -> "Login on startup" and paste the correct password in the Password field. This should fix your issue.

I'm surprise that switching to the Classic User Interface had such an impact for you. Could I inquire about your hardware? Just send me a print screen of the Overview tab of the About This Mac window. It would be preferable if both of the User Interface modes would be as close as possible performance-wise, regardless of hardware. I'll have to investigate this.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Xavier,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, pasting the correct password under preferences didn't seem to work. It looks like the correct password is already in the field (since it is the same number of characters). The password that is filled in on startup is one character less.

Clock3 yrs

Hi Danny,

Would you happen to be using the Devolutions Online Drive data source? If so, this is probably where the wrong password is from.

DODPassword

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

DODPassword.png
Clock3 yrs

How do you get to that dialog screen?

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

This is the window of a DOD (Devolutions Online Drive) data source.

So, to edit it, you click on the "Data Sources..." button:

OpenDataSourcesSettings

And then you choose the Data Source that was selected in the previous image (left of the "Data Sources..." button) and click on the "Edit data source" button:

OpenSpecificDataSourceSettings

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

OpenDataSourcesSettings.png
OpenSpecificDataSourceSettings.png
Clock3 yrs

Mine doesn't show Devolutions Online Drive, mine just shows company name with a lock icon.

Clock3 yrs

This is possible, I just named mine Devolutions Online Drive (has an example). Does it have the same icon though?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Wait, scratch that. I hit the cog wheel and saw the dialog to enter password. Entered the new one and restarted (had to force quit oddly enough).

Restarted and it remembered the password! Great! May want to update documentation or something somewhere, or maybe save the password to the cloud account once the user logs in successfully?

Clock3 yrs

Yeah, could be clearer.

To be fair I would have expected the Cloud Account and the DOD login view to at least have different titles, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Would have been helpful for troubleshooting. We'll keep that in mind.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs