Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Hostname field

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We predominantly use RDM to access network devices (firewalls, switches and routers) and I can not find an obvious location to store the "Hostname" of the device. Most of the connections are SSH connections which use the device IP address so the $IP$ and $HOST$ both just return the IP address.
I have looked for somewhere to store the hostname in the Information panel - but there is nowhere obvious. There does seem to be a variable $INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME$ - but I cant find where this is entered.
The actual entry names we use contain other details (e.g. FIREWALL - PRIMARY/ACTIVE) so these can't be used either.
I could use the "Custom fields" area - but we are already using these for various IP addresses on the devices.
Would it be possible to add an extra field somewhere for the device HostName in the information panel or point me in the right direction if I am missing it?

Cheers,
Steve

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

What version of RDM are you using?

Could you please post some screen shots of what you would like to see exactly?

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

Clock2 yrs

We are using the latest version, 12.5.4.0
If a new field were added to the Info dialog to include Hostname - then we could use that.... (unless there is already somewhere??)
I have attached a mockup with the new field....
Additional custom fields would also solve the problem - and this would allow us to store more custom data as well. However, a specific field seems to make more sense. Both would be great!
Cheers,
Steve

RDM_Info.png
Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion!

This has been assigned to an engineer.

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

Clock2 yrs

Hello Steve,

The host name field has been added to the information tab and should be available in the latest release of RDM.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I have been testing the latest release (12.5.6.0) and can now see the host name field.
But what is the variable name for that field?
I have tried "INFORMATION_HOST_NAME", "INFORMATION_HOSTNAME", "HOST_NAME" and "HOSTNAME" - but all just return the variable name.
I also tried "INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME" but this just returns blank?
Thanks,
Steve

Clock2 yrs

Hello Steve,

I have tested it on my end and everything seems to work properly when using $INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME$.

In what context are you trying to use this variable ?

Did you make sure that the Hostname field saved the value you gave it ?

Best Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Ok. I have just retested with $INFORMATION_MACHINE_NAME$ and it now works.
I think the problem was that although the value was saved, it did not work until I restarted the session
(I was just using NOTEPAD for testing and it displayed nothing until I closed the notepad session and restarted it just now)
Anyway, working now so thanks!!
Cheers,
Steve

Clock2 yrs