Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

RDM Free - enable Hyper-V connection on local W10 host

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

Please can you add the ability to connect to a Hyper-V host machine on the same machine as RDM (Free Edition) is running on. So allowing connection to machines that are hosted in Hyper-V, but running on a local W10 laptop. This would be preferable to using regular RDP to connect, and I'd like to connect using the Hyper-V internal connection method to the hosted machines (instead of via RDP to them).

Hope this makes sense?

Many thanks,
Greg

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

In an RDP session you can configure the entry to open a Hyper-V virtual machine directly with the following setting:
2017 04 25 9 05 56 AM

If this isn't what you're talking about, could you maybe give us an example outside of RDM?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2017-04-25 9-05-56 AM.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Hi,

I believe that option only works when you are connecting from a remote machine (running RDM) to another computer running Hyper-V.

I'm talking about that option being enabled where RDM and Hyper-V are all running on the same (Windows 10) computer.

Thanks,
Greg

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
We need more detail on how this is done with the other products like vmconnect. Perhaps you could show us the option for that. For now I have no idea what we have to do for that.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I'd guess he's trying to connect to a NAT'd connection, and the name resolution is outside the NAT..

My suggestion would be to try connecting by IP address, assuming your local system has a route to get to it.. (do a route print to see it).

David F.

Clock2 yrs

Hi guys,

Maybe if I explain my setup, you could understand what I mean a bit better: I built my laptop using Windows 10 and then installed the Hyper-V components on it. Then I created some VMs running inside Hyper-V on my laptop.

I know I can use RDP inside RDM to connect to the VMs running inside Hyper-V on my laptop, but the VMs are in their own private network which is not currently routed from the NIC on my laptop. I can connect to them fine using Hyper-V's VMConnect.exe - but this ends up with loads of additional Virtual Machine Connection windows open. I'd much prefer to achieve this all inside RDM, using the 'Open Embedded' option - but using a VMConnect.exe style of connection not Microsoft Remote Desktop connection (in RDM).

Is this possible with the RDM Free edition? If so how, if not - please can you work on adding this to a future release.

Many thanks,

Greg.

Clock2 yrs

Could you post what configuration you need to set in vmconnect to achieve this. We both use the same ActiveX from Microsoft and I would like to know what they do to make it work.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Have you tried the Use enhanced session mode by the way?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

OK, just trying this again - if I run VMConnect.exe (using Run As Administrator) I can select the localhost and then I get my list of VMs that are available on the same machine. I can connect fine using that, so I'd really like to be able to do the same thing inside RDM, using the embedded tabs to keep all the VMs in one Window.

Thanks,

Greg

VMConnect.JPG
Clock2 yrs