Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Workaround Found : Cisco AnyConnect - Detect and Visually Show a Running Session

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have been trialing out the Devolutions RDM software but need to get this cleared up before we can move forward.

When using Cisco AnyConnect we are unable to determine if the session is open or closed. Which makes finding what session to close nearly impossible with all of our different client connections.

It seems through the Cisco VPNCLI.exe there is the ability to identify and check if the session is open.

1. We would like the ability for the Cisco VPN Connection to change color when it is connected and show the Green Play button like the other icons.

Machine show Green Icon

Cisco VPN - unable to tell if it is connected or not

2. Based on the below it seems you should be able to detect if the VPN is connected or not. When using the Cisco VPNCLI.exe cmds

• Before Connection is started in RDM - no active vpn session found

• Opening VPN session in RDM - vpn session is connected

• Closing VPN session in RDM - vpn session returns to disconnected state

VPN Cmds within VPNCLI

Hope you can add this functionality soon.

Clock3 yrs

Hi,
I'm not sure if we can capture the information from the Cisco CLI.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi David,

Thanks, for replying. My colleague was able to figure out a slick work around by using the RDM settings to his advantage within the application.

This is what he did and so far it is solving the problem.

1. He edited the entry edited it so that it would open a blank internet explorer page.

2. He edited the VPN settings of the Session

3. He edited additional settings for the VPN

4. The Best Part - when you launch the Session this creates a TAB. Because this creates a TAB it changes the icon to the "Green Running" icon. So we now know if the VPN is connected or not and are able to disconnect by simply closing the session or closing the tab!

Hopefully this makes sense. Of course not having to do these steps would be great but it isn't that hard to add to each client and we also learned a lot in the process. However, I have to give 100% credit to my colleague for figuring this out.

Maybe this will help others!

Best Regards,
Richard

Clock3 yrs

It seems like a good idea. We could wrap this for you in an integrated way with an option. The only limitation I see is that we can really know if the VPN is actually really opened or if the connection fails. What do you think?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi David,

You may hold off on making any changes on your end. We are evaluating other VPN options within RDM and figuring out best way to go about.

Thanks,

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

I have also been looking at ways to easily identify what VPNs are open since Cisco will only allow one instance of itself to be running at a time. Another option is to use the VPN groups with each client configured with the VPN details.

Manually running the Cisco Anyconnect GUI client will show you what is connected and you can disconnect then exit the GUI (on my machine it does anyway).

Also there is an option in the VPN advanced options that says "use adapter to detect connection". This does not seem to change anything for me.

Could the Remote Desktop Manager not intermittently run the command "vpncli hosts" and read the output?

Thanks,
Ben

Clock3 yrs

That something we could do but we will have to test the performance impact.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs