Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Best practice sharing credentials on same machine

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I am running RDM on my Mac both in the native OS and in Windows 8 under a VM.

What is my best approach to share the same credentials database between the two ?

Suggestions most welcome.

Clock5 yrs

Hi atakacs,

If you are a single user of RDM, you can configure you a Dropbox data source to share your connections between your 2 computers (http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/datasource_dropbox.htm).

If you are working in a team environment, you can use an advanced data source to share your connections between your Mac, Windows and the other members of your team (http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/datasources_advanced.htm).

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks

Trying to setup a dropbox data source generate an "Exception of type 'DropNet.Exceptions.DropboxException' was thrown" error.

The error submission mechanism hangs and reports "Error report failed to send".

Pasting the error report create a asp.net error in the forum software: "A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$AspNetForumContentPlaceHolder$tbQuickReply="...51c47d3e24<A.cdd520c65dd8e9225...")." - I'd say you should catch it to present the user something nicer...

All 3 point 100% reproducible. Macbook running 10.0.1

Clock5 yrs

Hi,

Thank you I'll look into that

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Anything I can do to test / debug ?

Clock5 yrs

Hi,

I'm sorry I forgot to notify you.
We released a new version that fixes the Dropbox issue yesterday afternoon.

You can download it here http://mac.remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download

Hope it fix your issue

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks

There is an improvement to the effect that the app does not crash... but I just get an empty dialog:

10.10.1 dropbox 2.10.52

Clock5 yrs

Try closing the dialog and reopening it.
We are using the dropbox web api and some times the web site is taking to much time to respond.

Also, make sure that you can reach the drop box website.

Tell me if that doesn't work

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Tried - does not help
Dropbox website loads just fine

Clock5 yrs

BTW just tried on the Windows side (running in VMWare Fusion) and there... nothing happens at validate - no error message, no pop up, just hangs... Dropbox itself just load fine in browser. Direct Internet connexion (no proxy).

Clock5 yrs

Hi,

What is version number of your Windows edition?

Thank you for the info.

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Hi again,

I talked with the guys from the Windows version and it looks like there might be an issue.
Could you try to check the Manual authentication in the advanced tab?

When you click Validate with Dropbox you should have a window that will load a screen from the the Dropbox website.

Tell me if that works for you

Thank you

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

i am running Win 8.1.1

Manual authentication allowed to to have the UI to (successfully) validate the Dropbox link.

Interestingly enough I could then setup the Dropbox data source on the mac side without any problem (it actually reported "no validation required").

Bit kludgey but it works now smile

Clock5 yrs

Hi,

On the Mac, normally the "No validation required" message only appear when the Always ask password checkbox is checked in the advanced tab.

Did you checked that box?

If it's checked it means that you should see a window asking you your dropbox credential when you select your dropbox datasource on the main screen and that anytime you quit the app you will need to fill your credential again.

The dropbox web api we use has sometime been a little bit unreliable. Let's hope you only went to a rough patch and it won't happen again.

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs