Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

RDM 10 VMWare Console connection old way

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We did upgrade to RDM 10.0 and now the whole VMWare console connection changed to the bad web version.
There was nothing about that in the release notes about such a big change.

Could you please make an option to use the old VMWare Remote Console as a fallback? (The old functionality)
The installation of that old function was the only problem we ever got. After that it worked fast and very stable.

The web console is a real step backwards for us. The start of the console is slow through power cli.
No possibilitys to start or stop the vm and so on.

The VMWare Remote console connections are mainly used in our environment and with the new version its just starting in the browser which is not really comfortable.

The usability was way better with the 9.X version.

Clock5 yrs

Hello,

We're sorry to have had to change the default mode. The vmware ecosystem is undergoing changes at every release and, since themselves are notifying their customers that the vmware player is not going to be an option in the future, we have used the new PowerCLI method.

Would using a link to the vmx file be better? That is going to be re-instated shortly.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

We searched for a official final statement about the web client but we didnt find any.
The only one we did find was after 5.0 was released and its still possible to use the normal console (5.1 and 5.5).
Reinstalled 9.2 for now.

Since we dont use the web console i cannot answer your question if that would be better.

Clock5 yrs

The standalone remote console is back to a supported stage since 5.5 update 2:
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/10/standalone-vmrc-vm-remote-console-re-introduced-in-vsphere-5-5-update-2b.html

Clock5 yrs

nice, it even has a nice URI invocation method

We will try to assign this to a dev ASAP.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Is this now planned? If so is there a time frame or fixed version in what it will be implemented.

Clock5 yrs

Is there an ETA on when this will be implemented?

I've been using a command line entry, but would like to get away from that.

Clock4 yrs

not yet, sorry about that.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Mark, Hi Maurice,

in the actual version (10.1.4.0 ) there is a way to use the old "VM Ware Console" feature.

You have to Select the VMWare Console Type : VMWare VMRC
But it does not enter the VMID of the VM so its not working until you edit the "Old Entrys" and fix the vmid to the correct value.
The VMID (not the name) actually needs to be manually read from the esx server.
edited by NETCOR on 1/19/2015

Clock4 yrs

A status update would be nice.
We are waiting since 17.October.2014.

I am sure we are not the only one wanting that.

Clock4 yrs

@netcor

you can read your vmids by connecting with rvtools to your vcenter

maybe this helps you?

regards
Markus

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock4 yrs

@Markus
Thanks thats a good tip will try that as a workaround

Clock4 yrs

I cannot get the VMWare remote console working at all with 10.1.9. So i will be doing another version rollback and wait for dev feedback.

Clock4 yrs

i'm facing same problem but its not rdm-related as i get error: vmware player not properly installed.
it seems to be a general problem with vmrc (without webclient) .....

btw: when using vmrc-web it works (but as you stated its slow on connect) by CLI, RDM not working....

Best Regards
Markus

======================

Clock4 yrs

It was working with 10.1.4 on my system with same credentials.

I did also reinstall the new version vmrc 7.0 but that has other options.
So it wont work.

Clock4 yrs

Hi guys,

Have you seen http://blog.devolutions.net/2015/02/calling-all-cars-calling-all-cars-err-vmware-users.html

I definitely want to close the VMware topic and support everyone as best we can.

We are working with a few members of the community that have stepped forward and offered to help. Hopefully we'll be able to support every scenario in a satisfactory manner.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

What to do now?
We have to move to the newer RDM 11 and then no vmware will work.
No eta? No news?

Clock3 yrs

Hi guyz!

I'm not sure how far this VMware thing has gone, so I will ask anyway...

There is nice and easy standalone VMware client: VMware-VMRC-8.0.0. It is easy to use - you simply call link like: "vmrc://server.com/?moid=your_vm_id" and the app opens with selected VM. Besides remote console it offers satisfying list of features:

• VM power management (turn on, shut down, etc.)
  • Change VM settings
  • etc.

IMHO it is the best option when it comes to VMware remote console solution. And it does not looks too hard to implement?

Thanks!

Clock3 yrs

Hi,
Do you know if it's possible to send the username and password?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi David,

you mean username and password for opening a VM through such a uri link?

VMware does that through a other way in theyre api environment.

First you have to get a ticket with a valid username and password and then you can send the ticket with the link so that is correctly authenticated as that user.

But you have to generate a new ticket through the API every opening of a VM.
vmrc://clone:[VC-TICKET]@[VC]/?moid=[VM-MOREF-ID]

Ask for username and password:
vmrc://[USERNAME]@[VC]/?moid=[VM-MOREF-ID]
If you send the username it will ask for username and password on opening.

Clock3 yrs

Hi

Sorry for my late reply, but Netcor has already replied.

Yes it is possible to send different data, including ticket via link. I don't know if any documentation is available, but one way to get some info is to simply create wrong link (i.e. vmrc://nothing:1) and the app will suggest the appropriate format.

So it shouldn't be too hard to implement this with your authorization / SSO system, right?

Clock3 yrs

Btw. just to let you know, I've found one drawback of the console - it looks that it cannot transfer clipboard content. Not only files but also simple clipboard text. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Clock3 yrs