Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Sub Connection Alternate Host

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I am attempting to better organize our connections by having a generic Host entry and creating sub connections for each service available on that host. However, I have host with a main IP and a few alternate IPs based on which network I am connected to. I attempted to use the $PARENT_IP$ variable as the IP address thinking that the software would just use the IP that it detected was available, however, it just defaults to the main IP.

One caveat that I can think of offhand is that I believe the subconnection should determine if an IP is up or not in case the firewall is turned on to not reply to pings so you need to do a port scan. The host session itself would not know which port to check.

Clock5 yrs

Hi

Currently, I favor using plain folders rather than sub-connections because the BatchEdit mode doesn't operate on sub-connections. Most strategies can be implemented using folders except for a few, therefore they're my goto choice.

For your case, the "alternate hosts" feature must be used, and our variable substitution is for static fields, not dynamically resolved fields as would be required in this case. It is an interesting concept though, and we will look in the feasibility.

The port resolution must be performed by the child, you are correct.

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I'd like to bring this request back from the dead. I'm attempting to do the same thing as the OP, and it's frustrating that the functionality for sub-connections doesn't work.

Maurice Cote wrote:

...For your case, the "alternate hosts" feature must be used, and our variable substitution is for static fields, not dynamically resolved fields as would be required in this case. It is an interesting concept though, and we will look in the feasibility...

2 Possible Options:

• Resolve the $PARENT_HOST$ using the alternate host configuration of the parent object, feeding only a single address to the sub-connection.
  • Create a new variable called $PARENT_HOST_ALTERNATE$ that is populated by performing the action of selecting the appropriate address based on the configuration of the parent. Same idea as #1, but leaves the original variable unchanged.

Maurice Cote wrote:
Currently, I favor using plain folders rather than sub-connections because the BatchEdit mode doesn't operate on sub-connections. Most strategies can be implemented using folders except for a few, therefore they're my goto choice. ...

The use of folders instead of hosts is quite undesirable for me as it requires a lot of information to be duplicated. While Batch edit makes it easier, any change to the host or additional connection methods requires an excessive amount of work that could be eliminated by setting the value on a root object, and inheriting that data to down to it's children.

I've figured out how to limit the templates that are available when you "Open" the host session, but it's less than ideal in my organization since you can't seem to open 2 templates on the same connection.

Clock11 mths

@Nealio,

Sorry, but I am not sure to understand your question reported above.

Could you provide us more details on your structure and what you would like to accomplish please. This would be very helpful.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock11 mths