Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Linux Port of Remote Desktop Manager

My company recently purchased RDM and I love it. I finally am able to consolidate all of my various logins/etc into one centrally managed location using the Enterprise edition. Great work!

My question is are there any plans to port this great application to Linux? I use Ubuntu on my laptop and have not had any success in finding an equivalent with all of the great features that I've come to depend on (RDP, SSH. VNC. URLs, FTP, etc). If this is already in the works, great and I can't wait! If not, I would like to ask that you please consider this for a future release.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
There is not short term plan but it's not impossible if everything goes well in 2010. It's developped in .NET and with the Mono project, it's could be possible. The problem is the huge todo list that I got. I really want to expand the features of the Windows version before.

Thank you for your comments

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Hi tymbrwlf,

I'm an Ubuntu guy as well. A worthy alternative to a Linux port is a virtual machine running XP or Vista (ok, forget I said Vista) running RDM. I use VirtualBox and run the VM in seamless mode, which is awesome because the VM doesn't clutter the screen and you get complete Windows compatibility integrated into your Linux desktop.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in since I've been in the same situation.

Clock10 yrs

Funny that you mention using a VM as an alternative. I manage a datacenter with a lot of physical servers and a VMware ESX 4 Infrastructure with several hundred VMs. That is what prompted me to identify a solution from which I could centrally manage different systems through a variety of methods. I have Windows Servers, Linux Servers, Cisco Switches, etc. I know about the VM option; I would just prefer something that I could use natively. I don't often need to manage things from my laptop but if I'm offsite or traveling, it makes life a lot easier if I don't have to jump through hoops to do my job.

Vmware has not released a native linux Virtual Infrastructure client yet either so I may need to rethink things for the time being.

Thanks for the input!

Clock10 yrs

still no linux port. Would love to be able to use it on ubuntu.

Clock6 yrs

We need to complete the mac and mobile versions before.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

We need to complete the mac and mobile versions before.

Hi David,

Have you an idea of when the mac version will be released ? I'm really interested with that one. I'm searching an equivalent of RDM on mac since many years, and don't find anything good...

Thanks wink

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
The development is going very well. We hope to release a first beta next month. RDM and PVM contain a lot of UI and this is what takes time. Don't worry we will let you know when this will become available.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Any new updates on the linux port?

Clock4 yrs

Nothing new for now. The development is not even started yet.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

This seems to be an old thread, but its exactly the question i'd like to ask. Are there any updated plans for a linux client release?

Clock3 yrs

There is plan for that but now we are experimenting Windows Universal Platform before.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

I also would like to put in a vote for this, we have everyone in our team using RDM now on all supported platforms except for Amazon.
The only ones left in the dark are our Linux and Voice engineers who run Ubuntu.

Clock3 yrs

As a system admin that prefers Linux over Windows, but has to support all flavors of platforms, I would love to see a Linux version of Remote Desktop Manager.

Considering that your target audience is server admins, I would think they would be more appreciative of a Linux port over a UWP version. Since the last reply to this feature request was 8 months ago, can you provide an update for us Linux geeks?

Thanks.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Timm,
I can tell you that the UWP version of RDM is a dead project. Linux should be our next port but we are not ready yet to begin.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Perfect product and loved it since day 1. Been using RDM for 2 years now for both work and my labs. Now, running linux on my personal workstations full time, but sadly no RDM greatness. Awesome to hear the linux port is in the future smile

Clock2 yrs

We are using it now for three years and all employee of our company really love it! smile
But sadly we now have to switch to linux clients because of much better support for developing python applications.
So we really hope for a Linux version. I think we could wait again for some months but at the end of the year we really need a linux based solution. Otherwise we have to resort to a worse solution upset

Clock2 yrs

We are using it to for 2 years but we need to switch to ubuntu.
So we hope also for a linux version !
please !!! wink

Clock2 yrs

I want to +1 this request.
I've been using RDM for the last +5 years and i love it.
I have a Win and Linux workstation.
Any of the remote desktop alternatives dont come anywhere close to what RDM does.
I cant stress how important it is for me to have RDM on my linux workstation.

Keep up the good work !!

Clock12 mths

Hi,
I have a good news. We are working on porting our Android application on Linux. It will not be as simple as an installer but it seems to work fine. Here is a preview of what is coming soon.

RDM Android Linux

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

RDM_Android_Linux.png
Clock12 mths

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
I have a good news. We are working on porting our Android application on Linux. It will not be as simple as an installer but it seems to work fine. Here is a preview of what is coming soon.

Looks awesome!!
How can I join in the beta for this?

Clock12 mths

We will post the instruction soon for this.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

I'm still VERY interested in this but I'm also curious about an OSX version as well. You mentioned that previously (a few years back) but I only see a Windows download. Did OSX get shelved?

Clock12 mths

tymbrwlf wrote:

I'm still VERY interested in this but I'm also curious about an OSX version as well. You mentioned that previously (a few years back) but I only see a Windows download. Did OSX get shelved?

The Mac version is already out.
https://mac.remotedesktopmanager.com/

Clock12 mths

+1 for the beta test. Would be more then happy to run it on Debian 9 smile

Clock12 mths

Here is the blog:

https://blog.devolutions.net/2017/08/running-remote-desktop-manager-on-linux.html

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

David Hervieux wrote:

Here is the blog:

https://blog.devolutions.net/2017/08/running-remote-desktop-manager-on-linux.html

Hi David,
it looks like "Shashlik" is not actively being developed.
You guys should probably look at Anbox - https://anbox.io/ if you're using a third party way to run android apps.

Clock12 mths

A Roth wrote:

David Hervieux wrote:
Here is the blog:

Hi David,
it looks like "Shashlik" is not actively being developed.
You guys should probably look at Anbox - https://anbox.io/ if you're using a third party way to run android apps.

Hello A. Roth,

Unfortunately, Anbox is incompatible with our APK as of now. I am a big container fan and Anbox is based on Linux containers (https://github.com/anbox/anbox/blob/master/docs/runtime-setup.md), so I have high hopes for it. We are actively looking for solutions as they develop. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask! smile

Have an excellent day,
Gilles

Clock12 mths

It looks like the blog is gone.. Any news on the Linux front?

Clock4 mths

Hello,
The blog is still available:

https://blog.devolutions.net/2017/8/running-remote-desktop-manager-on-linux

We have nothing new yet.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths