Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

DNS/Host IP Cache & Show Password Option..

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Using DNS names for hosts is all well in good until your remote and the name resolution doesn't work and your HOSTS file isn't maintain, so as a suggestion, do you think RDM could save the last IP address used to connect the session? I can understand you can't determine a successful connection from all session types, but even if you just capture the IP that resolves the last time it tried to connect and save that with the session (as long as its a valid IP and not one of the default Windows "I can't find the address" IP's) then that's a good start to fall back on.

Also, it would be nice to have the option to enable a "Show password" button next to RDM saved passwords (like other credential managers). If this could be enabled at the security group/folder level that would be great smile

Thanks, TJ

Clock8 yrs

This is actually a really good idea #sexy-trousers.
I could sure have used this function at times.
The DNS name could be resolved each time you connected successfully and written to the log.
Something like this:
Connection established via RDP 6.0 to DOMAIN\HOSTNAME (resolved hostname to IP: 172.18.10.10).

This way one could also look up old log (IP) information for documentation purposes.

I'm of course just brainstorming here! But the end deal is, that this would be really useful information in some situations, especially the logging function.

Thank you.

//Brandur

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I added your request, I will see what I can do.

For the show password, it's on my todo list, they only thing is the security. I have to set an option to disable this option because many of our user does not have the right to see the password.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Thanks, that's all I can ask for smile

TJ

Clock8 yrs

I agree it's a good idea. I almost ALWAYS configure mine to use IP addresses because sometimes I don't have good DNS resolution through the various VPNs I connect to. But still, this is good.

Clock8 yrs

* bump * - curious if there are any plans on adding this anytime soon... Thanks, TJ

Clock8 yrs

Which one? The DNS or the Show Password?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

DNS/Cache smile

Clock8 yrs

It is still on the plan but not before the end of the year.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

* another bump * - just checking in on the "cache last ip address resolved" suggestion, I had a look in 7.5.0 and didn't see anything obvious. There was the alternate host thing, but that's manual and not self updating like a simply remembering the last ip address the host name/session connected with...

Thanks, TJ

Clock7 yrs

Hey TJ,

As stated by David this is in the works however it will not be something that will be implemented before the end of the year. A simple (assuming windows based) resolution is to use a TS Gateway, thus DNS will be resolved externally smile

-Brendan

Clock7 yrs