Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Bug Report

RDM Randomly Stops Reponding when Connecting or Logging Off to Windows 2012 servers

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello!

It seems that I'm having issues with RDM freezing and getting an beach ball at random times. I noticed this usually happens when logging in to or out of a Windows 2012 or Windows 2012R2 server at random times. I have to force quit the application and relaunch it and I can resume my work for about an hour before it happens again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Hello Devin,
I'm aware of this issue but it's very hard to reproduce. However earlier this week I worked a lot on this issue and I did a lot of tweaks and fixes. I was unable to reproduce it any more.

All my fixes are available in this beta if you want to give it a try:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/ThankYou?f=RDMsetupBeta

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi David,

Thank you for your quick response. Since I'm on a Mac, however, the link you gave me cannot be executed. Would you happen to have applied the same fix to the Mac version? As always I appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

We had a few users who had an issue similar to yours.
We added a setting that helped them. Do you mind trying it?
It's called Enable Action Queue under the Advanced tab of Remote DesktopManager Preferences.

2016+06+09+07+25+39

Best regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

2016-06-09_07-25-39.png
Clock4 yrs

Hello,

I tried this but it's still freezing like crazy. It's probably happening about once an hour. It's usually only when I connect to or disconnect from Servers running 2012 and up. That's really the only commonality I've been able to find.

Thanks,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

Is the Sandboxing Activated on your session? You can find this in the Advanced Tab of your RDP entry configuration
2016+06+10+07+03+38

If it's set to default try setting it to true just to make sure the RDP session is independent of the app.

You can also Sample the process via Activity Monitor when it freezes it might help me find what is going on.

Best regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

2016-06-10_07-03-38.png
Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Thanks for the response. It was set to True already. It froze again after closing a Server 2008 connection. I sampled the process after waiting for about 5 minutes to see if it would start responding. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Sample of Remote Desktop Manager.txt
Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

It seems that there is an issue with The Enable Action Queue setting I mentioned earlier. In your it might be the problem.
Would you mind trying to turn it off?

We are working on fixing this issue and another version will be released with a fix as soon as possible.

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

We just released a version with the performance fix.
You can download it here: DownloadDmg v3.5.4.2

With this version, you don't have to turn Enable Action Queue off

Best Regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I've installed the newer version and it seems the crashing happens more frequently now. Before the update, the app would crash when opening or closing a session after RDM was open for ~2 hours, now it's happening once RDM has been open for ~30 minutes. So I need to Force Quit and re-open the app every 30 minutes upset. I've unchecked "Enable Action Queue" but the issue still persists.

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

I apologize for the inconvenience, it seems you have a completely different issue than what our other users were experiencing.
I wasn't able to identify what was going on with the sample process you sent me.
There is definitely something wrong but the trace file is not clear.
Would you ming sending me your application log? Follow the instructions here: Application Logs
Is you issue still happening when you either connect of log off from a server?
If it's the case, would you mind configuring the RDP session log, as describe here: How to enable and send RDP Logs, and send me the log of a session that freezes your app.
Take a note of when the app freezes and when you Force quit it.

Best regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for responding. I have attached the Application Logs to this response. The issue here is that we have over 1,700 servers and since the app crashes randomly when I log on/off, it's hard to know which server to enable this on. Is there any way I can apply the RDP logs globally?

Thanks,

Devin

RemoteDesktopManager.log
Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Any updates on this? It's crashing ever 30 minutes or so which is incredibly impeding to my productivity as my job requires the use of this product over 90% of the time. Looking forward to your findings and a solution.

Thanks,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. Our office were closed yesterday for an Holiday in Canada (province of Quebec). Benoit will help you as soon as he get back to the office.

Could you try to change the Codec level to 6 in the meantime?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

I apologize for the delayed response.
Unfortunately, there is no way to set the RDP logs fields quickly for a lot of entries. We will look into that.
But you might not need it.

You application log seems to suggest there is an issue with your Devolutions Server data source. I will need to investigate it further with the DVLS team.
Could you tell me what version of Devolutions Server do you use?

You could also try to switch the Service type to Web API client under the Advanced tab of your data source configuration.
2016+06+27+07+51+38

Best regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

2016-06-27_07-51-38.png
Clock4 yrs

Not sure if it the same issue as me, but I have a similar issue where RDM seemed to randomly crash when logging off of a Windows Server session. For me, it always seemed to happen when I changed the Windows "focus" to a different application before the RDM logoff process had completed. In my situation, it is as though RDM needs to be the focus until it completes the process on the remote Windows session. Not sure if that is what is going on behind the scenes in RDM, but once I figured it out, I know now to wait until the process completes before switching to another app. When it crashed, it would almost close the session completely but it would leave the session tab on the Navigation bar and crash. Since I started waiting for the remote session to complete the process, RDM doesn't crash like that any longer when connecting to my Windows Server sessions.

Best of luck

Clock4 yrs

@STGdb

Do you have this issue on Mac or on Windows?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

For me, it occurs with Windows. Not sure if the issues are related or not, it just seemed too coincidental that someone else experiences random RDM crashes when connecting to or disconnecting from RDP sessions.

Clock4 yrs

Hello STGdb,
Thank you for the tips. I have made a change in our code that could fix the problem. The clue you gave us was really useful. It could be related to the automatic content focus while the dialog was closing.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in response, I don't work Mondays and therefore I didn't get this update until now. I set the connection to use the Web API client which resulted in the below error. Would you be able to tell me how I'd go about finding the version of Devolutions server? I don't have much experience with anything other than the client.

http://screencast.com/t/EJwtnu93Kr

Thanks,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Thanks for the update. I upgraded to the new BETA (11.5.11.0) and I no longer seem to have an issue with RDM locking up when changing focus (during session connect/disconnect). Good fix for me, thank you!!

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

For your error, I would like to get your Application Log to see what happened exactly.
For your Devolutions Server version number simply copy your server URL in a browser.
You should get the login screen with the server version:
2016+06+29+08+23+38

I reviewed you application log with the Devolutions Server Team and our main concern is that you have a lot of connectivity error.
You even seem to get Access Denied error which should not happen if you were able to connect in the first place.
Are you using a VPN to connect to a certain server? Maybe it's hijacking all of your network traffic and preventing you from connecting to the Devolutions server.

Best regards,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

2016-06-29_08-23-38.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

There is a better way to send your Devolutions Server version and other information.
Go to the File Menu and click My Data Source Information:
2016+06+29+08+55+33

Then click the mail button at the bottom:
2016+06+29+08+59+48

Fill with your information and click Send

This way I will have the information I need about your Data Source

Sorry about my mistake,

Benoît Sansregret

signaturesignature

2016-06-29_08-55-33.png
2016-06-29_08-59-48.png
Clock4 yrs

Hello,

I sent off the requested information. Yes, we do use VPN when we're out of the office but we do not use it when we are in office. The crashes happen in both instances. I'd like to note that Windows users do work just fine, it is only the Mac version that is impacted. Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Devin Walker

Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

Forget the last post I've made (I deleted it), support forwarded me the information you sent. Weirdly the Devolutions Server information doesn't seem to be in the generated HTML (I'll look into this). Could you use the other method mentioned by Benoît to find your server version.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi again,

You can instead send me a print screen of the My Data Source Information View like so:
DataSourceInformation

You can send it to me through private message.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

DataSourceInformation.png
Clock4 yrs

Hi Devin,

I've somewhat reproduce an issue that could be similar to yours and I might've come up with a fix. Alas, it is very hard to reproduce and is therefor hard to debug. I've built a version that might improve it for you but I have no guarantee. Would you be willing to test it and come back to me?

Here is the said version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lytnagvmzg24qki/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Mac.3.5.4.3.dmg?dl=0

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Xavier,

For some reason it says it can't connect to my data source. I'm PM'ing you the logs.

Thanks,

Devin

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

And it does this only with the version that I just linked you? I'll look it up.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi again,

I've resolved the issue with DVLS connection. Here's a new version that should work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1exm1yyyds6s8sq/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Mac.3.5.4.3.dmg?dl=0

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs