Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

Some remote session entries open in Microsoft Remote Desktop(MRD) 8 others in MRD 10

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I have RDM 4.5.0.0 installed because that is the latest version I can use to be compatible with the data source. Anything newer requires the datasource to be upgraded and Im told that is not possible at this time.

So do we know that RDM is compatible with MRD10?... And why do some entries open with MRD8 and other MRD10? Is there a setting somewhere that lets me tell RDM which MRD to use?

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I suspect the operating system of the remote server(s) that is allowing you to connect with RDP 10 and/or RDP8.
Are they having all the same operating system?

You mentioned that RDM 4.5.0.0 is the only version that is working with your data source. What type of data source are you using?
Is it MS Access?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jeff,
It does not get that far. I click open session and RDM will either open MRD 8 or MRD 10...before I ever connect to the remote server.

...as for Data Source, SQL Azure.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Are you using RDM Mac and launching your session in external mode?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

yes to both.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for the confirmation that you are using RDM Mac.

I may think that RDM is guessing which version of Microsoft RDP would be use to open the connection.
I think that we would need to add an option to select which version of Microsoft RDP you would like to use when both are installed on your mac.

I am transfering your post into the RDM Mac feature request section and I will assign it to one of our dev.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Tip Ramsay,

Version of RDM prior to the 5.0.0.0 should not work with Microsoft Remote Desktop.app 10.0. You can see the resolved entry in the change history for the 5.0.0.0 version: https://mac.remotedesktopmanager.com/release-notes

To find the Microsoft Remote Desktop client we're using the macOS provided method (NSWorkspace.fullPathForApplication) on three different application names in that following order:
1) Microsoft Remote Desktop.app
2) MicrosoftRemoteDesktop.app
3) Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta.app

It is then going to run the following command open -a "<Application Name>" "/Path/To/File.rdp" with a generated .rdp file.

NSWorkspace.fullPathForApplication always return the same output for the same input (so in my case, for Microsoft Remote Desktop.app, it will returns /Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app), or at least it should. So this is unlikely to be the issue, unless I'm unaware of some hidden mechanism.

Can I have the installation path of both of your applications and their names to see if I can reproduce?

Additionally, is there any reason why you have both Microsoft Remote Desktop app installed? Removing the version 10.0 (for compatibility with RDM 4.5.0.0) would easily fix this. You can alternatively rename the Microsoft Remote Desktop.app 10.0 to something else to prevent RDM from finding it (e.g. Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.app).

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs