Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Beta

Installer/updater annoyances

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

The recent betas have in my opinion introduced a new annoyance to the updater, but it also reminds me of another that's been around for quite some time.

• For a long time the installer keeps pinning the 32bit shortcut to my taskbar even though I have never had this, I always use 64bit, and even after I have deleted it umpteen times before, it still comes back. Windows 10.
  • For the last few updates the update notification options changed and now it no longer behaves as before. The current option to "download and perform the option of closing" makes it too easy to lose the previous sessions status if I don't forget to hit close "X" on the list (not OK or Cancel) before then closing the application to perform the update. The old behaviour of the option to download then automatically close RDM to update always did this. I do think the additional option to go the website to download is a welcome addition.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,
I will aks Hubert to check for the second point. For the first one, I can't script the installer to remember or let you select which version you want. We plan to eventually change the tool we use to build the application. Sorry about that.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi thanks, but for the first point it's more that it keeps pinning a shortcut I don't want - it never used to pin anything before.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I've been looking at the second point but I'm not sure what you mean by it. Which version of RDM are you using? When we recently reworked the update screen, we made it a combobox with a few choices, like this:

2018+03+13+11+46+08

What option is giving you issues?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2018-03-13_11-46-08.png
Clock2 yrs

The option you are showing, "Download this version and install....". Here's the scenario:

• You close down RDM with open sessions
  • You re-open RDM and are prompted for an update
  • You choose "Download this version and install....", it downloads and the dialogue closes
  • The dialogue for restoring previous sessions appears so you have 3 choices: 1. Press OK, wait for all the sessions to re-open then close down to apply the update, 2. Press "Cancel", you lose the sessions, close RDM and apply the update, 3. Press "X", the sessions remain saved, close RDM and apply the update
  • 1. can take too long having to wait for all the connections especially when credentials are required, 2. loses the sessions, 3. emulates the old behaviour except that you have to start the update manually by closing down RDM, but isn't obvious and at least does not lose the sessions

The old behaviour would start the update after it downloaded then prompt to close down RDM. Saying OK would close RDM without losing the sessions and automatically resume the update.

Clock2 yrs

Thank you, I understand what you mean now. We'll take a look at what we can do to not lose the "last opened" entries in that scenario.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

We'll add in the choices "download this version and install now" which will mimic the behavior that happened in the past. If you choose this option, as long as you don't open an entry, it will keep the "opened entries" playlist for the next time you open RDM (doesn't matter if you press Cancel or the X).

This will be available in the next RDM beta, when it's out it would be appreciated if you could give us some feedback so we know if this works as you expect.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

That's great news, thanks - I'll be sure to feed back my experience.

Clock2 yrs

I just updated and can see from the changelog that the new option when updating should be present for the next update - will let you know how that works out.

I did however notice that the installer once again pinned the 32bit shortcut to my taskbar.

Clock2 yrs

@Taomyn,

Regarding the shortcut issue, this has been addessed last week to our engineering department and they are currently looking at the issue.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

We don't have a solution. We need to change completely our installer tool. I planned to change soon the default pinned shortcut to the 64bit version.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Well it never used to do it until a few months ago (I think as I never got around to reporting it until recently), plus it's not optional. Sorry, you either don't do it or you ask the user first. I don't have a single other application that forces any icons to my task bar, the desktop maybe (as annoying as that is, but is usually an option), but nothing else forces itself onto my task bar.

Clock2 yrs

FYI, I just performed the latest update and confirm the new option "Download this version and install now" worked perfectly. Many thanks.

Clock2 yrs

Has the installer 32bit shortcut issue been resolved yet? I'm on the latest 13.9.0 beta and it's still creating shortcuts in my quick launch and pinned to my taskbar.

Always using the latest beta RDM x64 version.
Local data source.

Clock2 yrs

The shortcut now seems to be the 64bit one which is an improvement, but it's still being pinned to my taskbar each and every update which continues to annoys me.

Clock2 yrs

Latest beta still creating shortcut under Quick Launch....

%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Always using the latest beta RDM x64 version.
Local data source.

Clock5 mths

It's really strange. I've just checked and the setting is unchecked by default. I will investigate more.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

I just updated to the latest beta and lo-and-behold this time the Quick Launch option ticked again. Last update it was unticked and next update it will also be unticked, but the time after that it will get ticked again. It's constantly flip flopping between releases.

Annotation 2019-07-17 175818.png
Clock5 mths