Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Beta

A couple of RDM 12 BETA (11.9.0.0) questions

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Thanks for the effort that you all put into updating RDM to keep it a great product.

I updated to 11.9.0.0 this morning and it looks OK (I noticed a few changes immediately, especially the SQL database upgrade requirement). I do have a question about the DB update. Do all of our RDM copies need to be upgraded to the newer RDM 11.9 when we update the DB to version 280? Can some of our admins continue to run RDM 11.7 after the database has been updated to 280?

With 11.9, the tabs (in the Navigation Pane) are now down at the bottom of the navigation pane. Is there a way to put them back on top of the navigation pane? I didn't see an option for that (did I miss it)?

Can RDM be configured to open the Favorites tab on startup in the navigation pane?

When I launch RDM now, the ribbon is hidden (across the top) and I have to double-click the blue bar to display the ribbon. Is there an option that turns that feature off (so that the ribbon is displayed like it was in RDM 11.7 - at startup?). With the ribbon hidden at startup, there are no minimize or maximize buttons shown.

Thanks again

Clock3 yrs

Hi,
Thank you very much for your post. I have to be honest RDM 12 is a huge update for us. There is a lot of changes in the internals.

The database upgrade is mandatory but it's backward compatible. This means that we only add new columns, tables and few indexes to improve the performance. Someone with a the 11.7 will be able to use it without any problem but if it's not the case let us know please. However we have few new types and to fully use it you need the beta. For example the new synchronizers (Hyper-V and VMWare).

I can't do much for the navigation pane. We have updated the third party and they mimic Outlook 2016. Could you please give it a try and let me know after few days if it's really a pain.

About the favorite, I could add an option to remember the last navigation section at startup. For example it could be the private vault or the favorite. Do you think it's a good idea?

For the ribbon just make sure to pin it.

PinRibbon

By the way I will release another beta soon with few fixes in the deployment of our new PowerShell module and the Wayk Now integration.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

PinRibbon.png
Clock3 yrs

I can't do much for the navigation pane. We have updated the third party and they mimic Outlook 2016. Could you please give it a try and let me know after few days if it's really a pain.

Nah, it isn't a pain at all with the tabs at the bottom, no worries there. I was just accustomed to them being at the top.

About the favorite, I could add an option to remember the last navigation section at startup. For example it could be the private vault or the favorite. Do you think it's a good idea?

Yes, that would be helpful. Every time I start RDM, it defaults to the "All Entries" tab (which has hundreds of entries in it) and I manually switch to the Favorites tab like 98% of the time (which only has like the top 40 connection entries that I use). BTW - nice that there is an option to automatically collapse the tree in the All Entries screen, thanks.

For the ribbon just make sure to pin it.

I don't see a "pin" for the ribbon. When I launch RDM, the application starts full screen. There is no ribbon at start, only the blue bar across the top (and the blue bar only appears when I hover over the area with my mouse). There are no minimize, maximize, close buttons (only the three buttons in the upper right corner). See attachments (sorry, it isn't inserting them inline with the message).

If I click the ribbon, it expands. When I click another area of RDM, the ribbon collapse back to the blue bar. I have to change RDM from full screen to window then back to full screen to get the desired result (ribbon menu showing but not expanded - and the standard minimize, maximize, close buttons in the upper right corner). Still don't see the "pin" in the ribbon (even when it is expanded).

Thanks

RDM 11.9.0.0 ribbon area when started.jpg
RDM 11.9.0.0 upper right corner when started.jpg
RDM 11.9.0.0 ribbon area preferred.jpg
Clock3 yrs

Hi,
Could you try the shortcut Ctrl+F1 to pin the ribbon? I think that you need to exit from the full screen mode.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Yes, I just tried it. Same thing, no matter how the ribbon is when I exit RDM (ribbon expanded, hidden, etc.), it always starts up with the ribbon hidden (auto-hiding the ribbon is a nice feature actually). For me, the ribbon isn't necessarily really but the buttons in the upper-right corner to minimize, close, etc. RDM itself, I miss those. For me, when I press Ctrl+F1, it expands the full ribbon. My hope is to have it like it was for me in 11.7 (just the ribbon menu), similar to the "preferred" image I added in my earlier post. Like if I click on Home, it expands the Home ribbon, I use the shortcuts that I need and when I click elsewhere in the application (or on Home again), the ribbon collapses. That's how it worked for me in RDM 11.7.

BTW - When I press Ctrl+F1, should the ribbon remain even after I exit RDM and start it back up? Or is it that Ctrl+F1 will need to be done each time I start RDM?

Clock3 yrs

Could you verify in remotedesktopmanager.cfg the setting RibbonExpanded?

It should be set to true or not in the file.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

It was set to false. I changed it to true and tried again. I got the same result (sort of) but now I have a better understanding of my issue. When I launch RDM, it opens full screen with the blue bar across the top (and three dots in the upper right corner, etc.) like I had mentioned previously in this thread. When I switch RDM to a "normal" window (not full screen and not minimized), the menu always appears (no matter what the setting is). The ribbon will appear (expanded) if the setting you mentioned is set to True or not there otherwise if the setting is set to false, the ribbon is hidden.

I may have described my issue incorrectly earlier in this thread (I was previously thinking that the ribbon and menu were one object in RDM but I now realize that they are separate objects within the RDM application). To better described my situation, when I used to start previous versions of RDM (i.e., 11.7) full screen, the menu was always there and the ribbon was collapsed (which was how it works best for me). Now with 11.9, there is a blue bar across the top and both the menu and ribbon are hidden (missing). If I click on the blue bar one time, the menu/ribbon appear and they disappear when I click elsewhere (auto-hide). If I double-click on the blue bar, it changes RDM from full screen to a normal window and the menu appears. My hope is to have RDM start like it used to in 11.7 (no blue bar), showing the menu and the ribbon collapsed. Is that possible?

Thanks

Clock3 yrs

Could you try to change this setting for anything else than full screen?

Fullscreen

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Fullscreen.png
Clock3 yrs

Setting it to Maximized did the trick (no blue bar, the menu appears and the ribbon is collapsed), exactly what works best for me. When I changed it back to Full Screen (which is what it was set to originally), the blue bar shows up again and the menu/ribbon is hidden.

So I will just leave it set to Maximized, that works for me. Thanks very much!!

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

The latest beta now has an option to put back the navigation tabs on top;

You can download it here;
http://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thanks Mark - made the change and the navigation bar is back on top. It makes things much easier for me.

Good work!!

Clock3 yrs