Forum

Posts by Ferd (Ferd)

Ferd
Ferd

I uninstalled and put back 13.6.7.0, didn't restore the database, and all is well again.

2 yrs Beta 13.9.0.0 - Unable to upgrade MySQL database
Ferd
Ferd

This update is NOT COMPATIBLE with the latest stable database of MySQL and it's not recommended to use it in production if you plan to keep the last stable version during the beta.

What exactly does this mean? Should this beta be able to upgrade a MySQL database because it's not working at all for me. I don't care about needing to go back, I have plenty of backups.

I've attached screenshots, can't submit the schema as it fails but I can definitely access the database and the account it uses has full access.

2 yrs Beta 13.9.0.0 - Unable to upgrade MySQL database
Ferd
Ferd

Can someone explain, if it's possible, how to create ad-hoc remote PowerShell sessions for any one my saved RDP entries?

I see can add sub-connections but I don't want to have to go through all my saved connections doing this. I'd like to simply choose one of my connections, then using its context menu spawn a remote PowerShell session to that server. I thought I would be able to use the "Macros/Script/Tools" menu, but there's no option there for this.

2 yrs Executing remote PowerShell session for saved RDP entries
Ferd
Ferd

FYI, I just performed the latest update and confirm the new option "Download this version and install now" worked perfectly. Many thanks.

2 yrs Installer/updater annoyances
Ferd
Ferd

Well it never used to do it until a few months ago (I think as I never got around to reporting it until recently), plus it's not optional. Sorry, you either don't do it or you ask the user first. I don't have a single other application that forces any icons to my task bar, the desktop maybe (as annoying as that is, but is usually an option), but nothing else forces itself onto my task bar.

Ferd
Ferd

I just updated and can see from the changelog that the new option when updating should be present for the next update - will let you know how that works out.

I did however notice that the installer once again pinned the 32bit shortcut to my taskbar.

Ferd
Ferd

That's great news, thanks - I'll be sure to feed back my experience.

Ferd
Ferd

The option you are showing, "Download this version and install....". Here's the scenario:

• You close down RDM with open sessions
  • You re-open RDM and are prompted for an update
  • You choose "Download this version and install....", it downloads and the dialogue closes
  • The dialogue for restoring previous sessions appears so you have 3 choices: 1. Press OK, wait for all the sessions to re-open then close down to apply the update, 2. Press "Cancel", you lose the sessions, close RDM and apply the update, 3. Press "X", the sessions remain saved, close RDM and apply the update
  • 1. can take too long having to wait for all the connections especially when credentials are required, 2. loses the sessions, 3. emulates the old behaviour except that you have to start the update manually by closing down RDM, but isn't obvious and at least does not lose the sessions

The old behaviour would start the update after it downloaded then prompt to close down RDM. Saying OK would close RDM without losing the sessions and automatically resume the update.

Ferd
Ferd

Hi thanks, but for the first point it's more that it keeps pinning a shortcut I don't want - it never used to pin anything before.

Ferd
Ferd

The recent betas have in my opinion introduced a new annoyance to the updater, but it also reminds me of another that's been around for quite some time.

• For a long time the installer keeps pinning the 32bit shortcut to my taskbar even though I have never had this, I always use 64bit, and even after I have deleted it umpteen times before, it still comes back. Windows 10.
  • For the last few updates the update notification options changed and now it no longer behaves as before. The current option to "download and perform the option of closing" makes it too easy to lose the previous sessions status if I don't forget to hit close "X" on the list (not OK or Cancel) before then closing the application to perform the update. The old behaviour of the option to download then automatically close RDM to update always did this. I do think the additional option to go the website to download is a welcome addition.

Ferd
Ferd

I confirm same here but I'm on v13.0.12.0

2 yrs Update to RDM 13.0.6.0 caused Windows Defender trojan alert
Ferd
Ferd

Sorry for the delay, the prompt works perfectly, many thanks smile

3 yrs Lastpass keeps asking to enter dual factor authentication
Ferd
Ferd

Looks like the new option has simply added an extra step I need when approving, now I have a two-min counter that I also have to hit "Approve" on. However this still doesn't help the short timeout if my phone is not at hand, and I have to grab it etc. Isn't it possible for RDM the first time LastPass is used in a session to pop up a simple "Please have your authenticator to hand before proceeding" or something appropriate.

Ferd
Ferd

Apologies for not reporting back sooner on the update for 2FA.

It's definitely more reliable and works every time, however that's only when I remember to be ready on my phone to approve it. Two things that would improve its use:

• A prompt to remind me to be ready to approve the request before RDM actually does so, that way I'm not panicking to find my phone, unlock it, find the prompt and choose approve then finally authorise with my finger print. Would be especially useful when re-opening multiple sessions.
  • Some way to authorise RDM so it only asks once - not sure if this one is possible but I know when I switch to 2FA like this with LastPass, on my more secure machines I was able to do this on various websites.

Ferd
Ferd

Thanks Hubert, at least this should be better than we have now.

Once released I will obviously test and report back how it goes.

Ferd
Ferd

David Hervieux wrote:

You can send me a private message

Regards

Done

Ferd
Ferd

David Hervieux wrote:

Do you have anything in the log?

Regards

Yes, I exported the entries for today, where can I securely upload it to?

Ferd
Ferd

Not sure exactly I'll try and time it next time, but it's around 10-20 seconds maybe. It then pops up an message about "out of bounds authentication". I'll try and screenshot it next time.

Ferd
Ferd

I'm having similar issues. I enabled the LastPass authenticator some months ago after having used Google authentication, and now every time RDM wants to access my credentials I have to approve it on my device. That's ok except that if I'm not holding my device ready to approve, RDM times out and I have to start again. It's very annoying.

Is there also no way to get RDM to request trusted access this way so I only have to approve once like before with the Google authenticator?

Ferd
Ferd

I'm now running 11.9.1.0 (same for previous beta) and the old problem of the tabs no longer re-opening in previous order when starting RDM has come back.

4 yrs Tabs no longer re-opening in previous order when starting RDM
Ferd
Ferd

I'm glad to see that this was already sorted, as I think the tabs have gone a bit screwy with this release as I also see the tab order being lost on application start has reverted as well.

4 yrs RDM 12 Tab jumping
Ferd
Ferd

The second ZIP with the correct older DLL also fixes this problem.

4 yrs Upgraded from beta to 11.7, cannot rearrange tabs
Ferd
Ferd

The renamed ZIP does actually now contain an earlier DLL and does fix the problem - before the ZIP contained the same version of the broken DLL we already had.

My only workaround before was to right-click the server and then choose "Open with parameters", then I choose "Open (Select Credential Entry)" and this is the default for the folder the server is located in and hence should be inherited - I then choose one of my LastPass entries.

4 yrs After upgrade to 11.7 RDP no longer uses inherited credentials or jump setting.
Ferd
Ferd

How so, a) it worked yesterday and Windows has not updated (I've been on Anniversary since release), b) that thread makes no reference to the Anniversary update and only state you cannot reproduce it after the latest update, just not what update that refers to.

Ferd
Ferd

I can't downgrade as the installer won't let me, and the dll you provided in the RDP thread doesn't fix this either.

Ferd
Ferd

David Hervieux wrote:

Here is the patch

I applied the dll and it's still the same - not using the inherited credential

4 yrs After upgrade to 11.7 RDP no longer uses inherited credentials or jump setting.
Ferd
Ferd

As per subject, and once again a broken release that was fine in beta and hence was never tested.

Ferd
Ferd

Confirmed here as well - was working fine in the previous beta so how did this get into release without going through another test version? Someone needs to look at your release policy.

Ferd
Ferd

Yes, that's the same option I changed

4 yrs [RESOLVED] Reconnect not always working
Ferd
Ferd

Thank-you for the new update, the option works perfectly.

4 yrs [RESOLVED] Reconnect not always working