Forum

Posts by STGdb (STGdb)

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yes, thanks for the fix!! I had last had this happen this past weekend (using RDM 11.6.3.0). Works for me in RDM 11.6.4.0.

Thank you!!

4 yrs RDM session focus when one RDP session close
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Sorry for all the post today but I wanted to also follow up on this issue (from another post marked "Resolved") - https://forum.devolutions.net/messages.aspx?TopicID=26186. I still have the problem that was discussed in that thread. Unless I set the “Reconnect mode” option to “FULL” in RDM, whenever I reconnect to a Windows RDP session, RDM doesn’t seem to pass the associated credentials from my password vault to the RDP session that it is reconnecting to. RDM does passes the credentials from the password vault to the RDP session is RDP session is first established. It I set the RDM option for RDP type to v7.0 (versus v8.x or Default), the reconnect feature works like it used to but when I log off of the remote RDP session, RDM leaves the sessions “tab” on the navigation bar (even though the RDP session has closed). I don’t mind switching the option for the default RDP type to v7.0 (so that the reconnect works like it used to), but is there any way so RDM doesn’t leave the session tab on the navigation bar after the session closes?

Thanks in advance,
STGdb

4 yrs RDP sessions won't reconnect properly
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

When I run playlists, I open up to 30 (thirty) Windows Server OS RDP sessions at a time. When I log off of a Windows server (closing the RDP session), RDM always switches back to the RDM dashboard. I log off of a RDP session by clicking on a CMD (batch file) shortcut on the desktop (logoff with a ten seconds delay). By the time that RDP session closes after logoff, I am already working in another RDP session (and when the first RDP session closes, RDM shifts the focus back to the RDM dashboard). Is there any way to get RDM to stop doing that?

Thanks in advance,
STGdb

4 yrs RDM session focus when one RDP session close
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Good morning. Each month, we patch/update our servers, so I have different playlist that connect to a different series of servers (depending on patch schedules, etc.). These are different flavors of Windows Server OS’s and all are using RDP sessions to connect. I decided to check out the macro capabilities (with regards to playlists) as it would offer some benefits to our processes. But I seemed to have some issues running macros against playlists and I wanted to see if maybe I’m doing something wrong. There are a couple of things that I would like to accomplish with playlist macros. When logging on to our Windows Servers, a login banner appears (i.e., legal notice). The macro I created is simple, after establishing a RDP session, press ENTER (to get by the legal notice), open a command prompt and launch Windows Update. I have another macro for post-update server checks (press ENTER and run services.msc) – but I’ll stick with the first macro in this thread. BTW, the DELAY variable is set to 2,000ms.

Macro:
{ENTER}{DELAY}command{ENTER}{DELAY}{DELAY}wuapp.exe startmenu{ENTER}exit

The above macro works 95% of the time when I use it with a single RDP session. Sometimes I’ve noticed that once a RDP session is established (using the macro with a single RDP session), the remote OS “focus” changes before the macro runs so when the macro tries to type in the letters (“command”) and press ENTER, the remote desktop isn’t always the focus so when the macro tries to type the letters in, it doesn’t always work. That is with a single RDP session. That behavior also occurs when I run the macro against a playlist, but it occurs on pretty much every RDP session (nothing beyond the first ENTER is executed).

Q. Is there any way (with a playlist macro) to run these commands using some other method. Or how can I make the remote desktop the “focus” of the RDP session? I tried the focus thing but that seems to only apply “focus” to the local desktops and not the remote RDP session.

Q. Is it possible to press the “Windows-key” remotely via a macro (which might solve the issue for me)?

Q. (issue): When running a macro via playlist, it only runs on the focused window on the local system (not on RDM or the RDP session). While the playlist/macro was executing, I switched to a different program (locally) that was running on my local desktop (notepad) and the RDM macros ran in notepad (not in the RDP sessions). It was typing the letters, pressing ENTER, etc. in notepad. Is there any way to tell RDM to run the macro in the RDM/RDP session itself and not on the local desktop / locally focused window (so that I can do other work while the playlist/macro is running)?

Q. Can I run a script the same way (that would solve my problems)? If I can run a script (instead of just macro commands), then I can have the script run the commands that I need to run.

Thanks in advanced,
STGdb

4 yrs RDM, playlists and macros
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks for the update. I upgraded to the new BETA (11.5.11.0) and I no longer seem to have an issue with RDM locking up when changing focus (during session connect/disconnect). Good fix for me, thank you!!

4 yrs RDM Randomly Stops Reponding when Connecting or Logging Off to Windows 2012 servers
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

For me, it occurs with Windows. Not sure if the issues are related or not, it just seemed too coincidental that someone else experiences random RDM crashes when connecting to or disconnecting from RDP sessions.

4 yrs RDM Randomly Stops Reponding when Connecting or Logging Off to Windows 2012 servers
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

None specifically, the order works OK, just that I'd become accustomed to "Favorites" being the fourth slot in the list (and my RDM panes were sized so that it showed tabs #1 through #4). After all this time, I finally turned off Opened Connections and Personal Connections (#2 and #3) in the RDM options (which I never use anyway), and the Favorites tab went from #4 to #2. I haven't adjusted to choosing tab #2 for my Favorites yet, so I figured it would be nice to be able to rearrange the order of the tabs that are visible (so that I could move Favorites back to slot #4).

Thanks

4 yrs Change the order of the tabs in the Navigation pane
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

DUH @ me. (I didn't even look on the page itself). I checked options but must have missed the option to turn it off (it was too early in the morning). :-)

Thanks again

4 yrs New Welcome message
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Just upgraded to the new BETA (11.5.10.0 I think) and see the new Welcome message (but it is there every time I start RDM). I searched and don't see an option to turn it off. Am I missing something? How can I turn off the new Welcome message that appears when starting RDM.

Thanks

4 yrs New Welcome message
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

FR: It would be nice if we could change the order of the tabs in the Navigation pane. I can turn them on/off, but can't change the order that they are in.

Thanks

4 yrs Change the order of the tabs in the Navigation pane
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Not sure if it the same issue as me, but I have a similar issue where RDM seemed to randomly crash when logging off of a Windows Server session. For me, it always seemed to happen when I changed the Windows "focus" to a different application before the RDM logoff process had completed. In my situation, it is as though RDM needs to be the focus until it completes the process on the remote Windows session. Not sure if that is what is going on behind the scenes in RDM, but once I figured it out, I know now to wait until the process completes before switching to another app. When it crashed, it would almost close the session completely but it would leave the session tab on the Navigation bar and crash. Since I started waiting for the remote session to complete the process, RDM doesn't crash like that any longer when connecting to my Windows Server sessions.

Best of luck

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yes, you are correct (sorry, my bad). I'm having IT issues at work and wasn't paying full attention. When I connected to RDP sessions, the setting for the sessions were (are) default and the options were on default (at the time I connected). I changed them to RDP 7.0 after I had already connected (so it was still using RDP 8.x) for the already connected sessions that I was testing with.

I changed it to RDP 7.0 and established connections to a few systems (2008 R2, 2012 R2, etc.) and they work properly (except it leaves the tab behind on the dashboard still). I've had that issue occur previously for about a year now, but it was very random (that may not be a new issue except with RDP type 7.0, it leaves it there every time). I traced it down (I think) to closing a RDP session and switching to another Windows app (on my local PC) prior to the RDP session closing completely (at least that it what it seemed to be).

Anyway., I tested the smart reconnect again (just to be sure) and it still requires me to choose the user name and log on manually to reconnect.

Thanks

4 yrs [RESOLVED] Reconnect not always working
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Good morning. Sorry to report (for me at the moment) that this is still not working (as of 11.5.8.0 BETA yesterday and the new one today). I just upgraded to the new RDM 11.5.9.0 (BETA) and tried the same tests (switching RDP type to Default and/or Reconnect mode to default) but the same issue occurs. If I set Reconnect mode to Full, it reconnects properly like it did prior to 11.5.8.0. However (new in 11.5.9.0), now RDP type 7.0 doesn't work (with smart reconnect). With 11.5.8.0, RDP type 7.0 worked and passed the credentials, but with the new BETA it now prompts to select the user (having to manually enter the credentials) for RDP type 7.0.

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

The individual sessions (RDP) are set to Inherit (which the parent folder is set to use personal credentials). If I change the RDP session to use my personal credentials directly, I get the same results.

I did remember something like this once before (several RDM versions ago) so I did something similar this time and set the Options (RDP version) to version 7 (instead of default). Reconnect didn't have an issue using RDP v7 but the problem with RDP v7 is that when you log off of the server (or remote session), a blank tab remains on the RDM dashboard and RDM doesn't close the embedded session all the way. But reconnect works (I guess because smart sizing is a RDP v8 or above thing).

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Same issue (makes me choose the user and then reenter the password manually). Occurs on Windows 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 servers. Doesn't happen on 2003 servers (yes, still have a couple of those)...

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Issue resolved with the new BETA - thank you!!

4 yrs RDM 11.5.7.0 BETA error (Better ListView)
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

I have this same issue (it starts a few BETA versions ago), it requires entering the password manually on Windows servers.

Is the new option under File - Options - Types - RDP - Reconnect Mode (set it to FULL)? That is the only setting that I have been able to get it to reconnect the way it used to (where I didn't have to reenter my password). I tried setting Screen Sizing Mode to Smart Sizing but that didn't resolve it for me.

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks!!

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

David Hervieux wrote:

I can reproduce it with RDM 64 but not 32. Could you confirm that?

Regards

Yes, good call (and thanks for the quick reply). I don't get the popup with RDM 32-bit but I do with the RDM 64-bit. I need to use the 64-bit version because I have large playlist (issue from RDM a few major versions back). But I'm OK with the popup (it doesn't bother me and everything seems to be working otherwise). Actually, I find that I have more entries showing in my Favorites pane than I did previously (the font may be smaller?).

Thanks again

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Just updated to RDM BETA 11.5.7.0 (at home and at work). At home, no problem. At work, I got an error that Better ListView free trial was over (see attached image). Also (at work), my Favorites list shows (in red letters) Trial Version. Only difference I see is that I don't show the Favorites in a group at work.

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Upgraded to RDM 11.5.0.0 and the Favorites options are there (as promised). It removed the groups quite well, this works for me (in Details view) much better. By removing the groups, it provides more room in the Favorites navigation pane for favorite session entries.

Thank you!!

4 yrs Option to not show in "group" in the Favorites pane
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Works great - the Dashboard bar is fixed.

Thank you

4 yrs RDM 11.1.15.0 BETA Favorites
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

No worries, thanks for the quick reply. Good to know, it gives something more to look forward to...

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't see it. I am using RDM (BETA) 11.1.17.0 and all I have are the following possible options:

File - Options - User Interface - (under Advanced) - Show favorite icon in list
File - Options - User Interface - (under Advanced) - Show group in tab title
File - Options - User Interface - Trayicon/Taskbar - Only show favorites entries in trayicon menu
File - Options - User Interface - Tree View - Tree view group (bottom)

None of those seem to work (to hide the groups) and just show only my "favorite" session entries as a single list.

Thanks

Hubert Mireault wrote:

Hello,

We'll have an option in File > Options > User interface > favorites, to show/hide the groups in the list view (the list view is all of the views that aren't Tree View so it includes Details). It won't be available for the tree view for now since it would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a "tree" view.

As for the issue with multiple columns I think this is due to our new third party control for the lists. We'll take a look at it and hopefully it's a matter of changing a value or two.

Regards,

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

No worries, thanks for the follow up

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Either Details view or Tree view is preferred (otherwise it splits them into multiple columns)

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Is it possible to just display the chosen "favorites" in the Favorites pane (as opposed to showing them in groups)? If not, this would be a feature request as to whether to display them grouped or not.

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Just upgraded to 11.1.17.0 (BETA) and still have the same issue (Dashboard bar not displaying the wrong info).

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Ran into another issue with my Favorites (just noticed it this morning). I have a few entries whose names start with numbers (IP addresses) but they are way down the list in the Favorites pane. It used to be that whenever I started RDM and switched to the Favorites pane, the first entry in the Favorites pane was highlighted by it always showed the entry with the IP address in the Dashboard pane (even though it wasn't highlighted). Once I highlight another entry in the Favorites pane, the Dashboard would update and it was fine until the next time I started it. No big deal and I never mentioned it here.

Now (with RDM 11.1.15.0 BETA) it still does that. But now with 11.1.15.0, if I open a session, when I close that session, RDM is doing the same thing and showing the incorrect information in the Dashboard pane and not showing the correct Favorites entry that is selected. It updates properly once I change the selected item in the Favorites pane. Even though I change the Favorites tree list to Details (so that it looks like it did pre-11.1.15.0 update), it still thinks that it is in tree view (maybe)? I wonder if that Dashboard pane may be sorting all of the Favorites (and that is why it thinks that the entry with the numbers should be first in the list (so that is what it is displaying in the Dashboard), even though the items in my Favorites pane are sorted by their folder names?

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks - that worked. I changed the view to Detailed (simple fix). :-)