Forum

Posts by STGdb (STGdb)

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Just upgraded to RDM 12.9.1.0 (BETA) and the DB upgrade was successful. However, I lost all of my Favorites in the upgrade (which looks like it was expected - no more local and shared Favorites). So with the new Favorites platform in RDM and the ability to create folders for Favorites, can we also have the ability to sort the Favorites and/or Folders within Favorites (the entries under those folders)? I've added the Favorites back and put them into Folders but they show up in the order that I added them (basically all gumbled and in random order). Alphabetical order would be good and make it easier to find them in the list. Right now, it is difficult to find them because you have to look at each Favorites entry until you find what you want.

Thanks

3 yrs RDM 12.9.1.0 - New Favorites format
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Just updated to RDM 12.4.7.0 and the issue is resolved for me. Thanks again for the quick response and resolution.

Happy Easter!!

3 yrs No Favorites showing in new 12.4.6.0 BETA
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks for the update and for finding the issue so quickly!!

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yeah, I had "Use legacy navigation bar (top)" checked. I unchecked it and restarted RDM and the Favorites returned. I noticed that when it is checked, it doesn't show Tools, Most Recently Used, etc. With it unchecked, it works now. Also, it seems slower than recent versions (loading). Yesterday was patch Tuesday and I updated my desktop so I don't known if the performance is an RDM issue or a new MS patch issue. Other apps seem to be OK.

So after unchecking it, I went back and checked the legacy option again and restarted. Same results (nothing in the navigation pane except for the All Entries tab). Other ones are all blank. I'll uncheck it for now and should be OK.

Reset layout didn't help. I wasn't able to click on the "Settings" like you had originally asked (it wasn't visible).

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Saw the new beta of RDM out this morning (12.4.6.0). I updated directly from RDM (didn't see the download on your website - I normally download it and install it). But after I installed the new RDM beta, I launched it and noticed that my Favorites were missing. I can select the Favorites pane, but there is nothing there. The Dashboard and Overview show the entry that I would expect to be first in the Favorites pane (which is normal), so I think the entries are there but they aren't displaying in the pane. I've check both x86 and x64 flavors, same results. The entries exist in the correct folders still (under All Entries) and when I click one of the sub-folders, it shows the list of entries with the star next to the ones that would be shown in the Favorites pane. Deselecting and selecting the entry as a Favorites doesn't change the behavior.

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

That was perfect, thank you. Worked like a champ!!

Have a great day!!

3 yrs Migrating RDM from one computer to another
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Good morning. I am moving to a new system and I wanted to migrate my RDM over to it. I was using Windows 7 before and now I'm running Windows 10. I do have a copy of my previous PC directories. I was and still am using RDM 12.0.8.0 on both systems and the directory structure is the same on both systems (for the user account, profile and Windows OS structure). is it possible to move all of my RDM settings from the old system to the new one?

With RDM, I have a local data source and a shared remote SQL data source. I exported the RDM "options" and imported them into the new install on the new OS. I also copied over the following files from the old system to the new one:

Connections.db
Connections.log
Connections.xml
Credentials.rdt
RemoteDesktopManager.cfg

I am missing the local data source info (I exported that and can just import the data into the new install) but I also am missing both my RDM Playlists and SQL data source Favorites (not sure if I'm missing anything else yet). Can you point me to where this information is stored (can I copy those files over to the new system also)? Is there a recommended set of files/registry settings to migrate to a new PC?

BTW - maybe that would be a good feature request (if it isn't there already). With "shared" data sources, maybe have RDM office "shared" program settings as well? Kind of like a group policy for RDM settings and configurations.

Thanks in advance,
STGdb

3 yrs Migrating RDM from one computer to another
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks Mark - made the change and the navigation bar is back on top. It makes things much easier for me.

Good work!!

4 yrs A couple of RDM 12 BETA (11.9.0.0) questions
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

AWESOME - can't wait. Thank you very much!!

4 yrs RDM, playlists and macros
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Setting it to Maximized did the trick (no blue bar, the menu appears and the ribbon is collapsed), exactly what works best for me. When I changed it back to Full Screen (which is what it was set to originally), the blue bar shows up again and the menu/ribbon is hidden.

So I will just leave it set to Maximized, that works for me. Thanks very much!!

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

It was set to false. I changed it to true and tried again. I got the same result (sort of) but now I have a better understanding of my issue. When I launch RDM, it opens full screen with the blue bar across the top (and three dots in the upper right corner, etc.) like I had mentioned previously in this thread. When I switch RDM to a "normal" window (not full screen and not minimized), the menu always appears (no matter what the setting is). The ribbon will appear (expanded) if the setting you mentioned is set to True or not there otherwise if the setting is set to false, the ribbon is hidden.

I may have described my issue incorrectly earlier in this thread (I was previously thinking that the ribbon and menu were one object in RDM but I now realize that they are separate objects within the RDM application). To better described my situation, when I used to start previous versions of RDM (i.e., 11.7) full screen, the menu was always there and the ribbon was collapsed (which was how it works best for me). Now with 11.9, there is a blue bar across the top and both the menu and ribbon are hidden (missing). If I click on the blue bar one time, the menu/ribbon appear and they disappear when I click elsewhere (auto-hide). If I double-click on the blue bar, it changes RDM from full screen to a normal window and the menu appears. My hope is to have RDM start like it used to in 11.7 (no blue bar), showing the menu and the ribbon collapsed. Is that possible?

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

I noticed the following in the 11.9.0.0 (RDM 12 BETA) change history:

Improved the playlist to be executed through the Agent

The improvement mentioned in the change history of the new BETA, is the improvement related to what we discussed in this thread (above)?

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yes, I just tried it. Same thing, no matter how the ribbon is when I exit RDM (ribbon expanded, hidden, etc.), it always starts up with the ribbon hidden (auto-hiding the ribbon is a nice feature actually). For me, the ribbon isn't necessarily really but the buttons in the upper-right corner to minimize, close, etc. RDM itself, I miss those. For me, when I press Ctrl+F1, it expands the full ribbon. My hope is to have it like it was for me in 11.7 (just the ribbon menu), similar to the "preferred" image I added in my earlier post. Like if I click on Home, it expands the Home ribbon, I use the shortcuts that I need and when I click elsewhere in the application (or on Home again), the ribbon collapses. That's how it worked for me in RDM 11.7.

BTW - When I press Ctrl+F1, should the ribbon remain even after I exit RDM and start it back up? Or is it that Ctrl+F1 will need to be done each time I start RDM?

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

I can't do much for the navigation pane. We have updated the third party and they mimic Outlook 2016. Could you please give it a try and let me know after few days if it's really a pain.

Nah, it isn't a pain at all with the tabs at the bottom, no worries there. I was just accustomed to them being at the top.

About the favorite, I could add an option to remember the last navigation section at startup. For example it could be the private vault or the favorite. Do you think it's a good idea?

Yes, that would be helpful. Every time I start RDM, it defaults to the "All Entries" tab (which has hundreds of entries in it) and I manually switch to the Favorites tab like 98% of the time (which only has like the top 40 connection entries that I use). BTW - nice that there is an option to automatically collapse the tree in the All Entries screen, thanks.

For the ribbon just make sure to pin it.

I don't see a "pin" for the ribbon. When I launch RDM, the application starts full screen. There is no ribbon at start, only the blue bar across the top (and the blue bar only appears when I hover over the area with my mouse). There are no minimize, maximize, close buttons (only the three buttons in the upper right corner). See attachments (sorry, it isn't inserting them inline with the message).

If I click the ribbon, it expands. When I click another area of RDM, the ribbon collapse back to the blue bar. I have to change RDM from full screen to window then back to full screen to get the desired result (ribbon menu showing but not expanded - and the standard minimize, maximize, close buttons in the upper right corner). Still don't see the "pin" in the ribbon (even when it is expanded).

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Good afternoon. Just to follow up on this thread, I just updated to RDM 11.9 (aka RDM 12 BETA) this morning. I changed my setting for Reconnect Mode from FULL back to Default (and have the Smart Reconnect option selected) - and it seems to be working now. I've not tested it since we discussed this issue a couple of months ago (so I don't know when it was fixed), but I can report that it is working now (for me) after upgrading to RDM 12. RDM now authenticates (re-authenticates) properly when it reconnects to existing RDP sessions.

Thanks

4 yrs RDP sessions won't reconnect properly
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks for the effort that you all put into updating RDM to keep it a great product.

I updated to 11.9.0.0 this morning and it looks OK (I noticed a few changes immediately, especially the SQL database upgrade requirement). I do have a question about the DB update. Do all of our RDM copies need to be upgraded to the newer RDM 11.9 when we update the DB to version 280? Can some of our admins continue to run RDM 11.7 after the database has been updated to 280?

With 11.9, the tabs (in the Navigation Pane) are now down at the bottom of the navigation pane. Is there a way to put them back on top of the navigation pane? I didn't see an option for that (did I miss it)?

Can RDM be configured to open the Favorites tab on startup in the navigation pane?

When I launch RDM now, the ribbon is hidden (across the top) and I have to double-click the blue bar to display the ribbon. Is there an option that turns that feature off (so that the ribbon is displayed like it was in RDM 11.7 - at startup?). With the ribbon hidden at startup, there are no minimize or maximize buttons shown.

Thanks again

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Same here - just downloaded 11.7.1.0 and installed. Works for me also!!

Thanks again

4 yrs After upgrade to 11.7 RDP no longer uses inherited credentials or jump setting.
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yes, new patch works for me now - thanks!! AWESOME quick response.

4 yrs After upgrade to 11.7 RDP no longer uses inherited credentials or jump setting.
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

I am using RDP (to Windows servers). I tried the x86 and x64 flavors, patch didn't work for either. I did a side-by-side comparison of the patch (file) and same date, time, size, etc.

When it prompts for creds, I can enter them manually and it works (logs me on), etc.

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

It looks like the same for me (not working). Still prompting me for creds.

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

OK I can wait. Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Do I need to remove (or downgrade) 11.7.0.0? When I try to install the fix, it won't let me (a more recent version is installed). Is there a "force install" option?

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Yes, for me it worked with 11.6.7.0 but doesn't work (for me) with 11.7.0.0

I haven't reverted back yet, but I was on 11.6.7.0 earlier this morning and it was working (just prior to the upgrade).

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

No worries. Thanks for looking into this and for the follow up. Hopefully it won't be something too difficult to implement.

4 yrs RDM Agent and playlists
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Following up on a previous post (RDM, playlists and macros), I was wondering whether I can run a script against multiple hosts with RDM Agent installed via a playlist? In other words, I have a "script" that launches with a Playlist (all it does is delay and then press ENTER). Once that is done, I would like to run something against the RDM Agent that is on the remote hosts that I just established a RDP session with. Is it possible to run something against a RDM agent at that point, or is manual intervention required to run a script/command line against a RDM Agent when you are connecting to multiple remote RDP sessions via a Playlist?

Thanks in advance,
STGdb

4 yrs RDM Agent and playlists
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

To follow up (on RDM Agent), can I (automate) running a script (which presses ENTER) then run something against RDM Agent with a playlist? In other words, I have a Playlist "script" that runs against a Playlist (all it does is delay and then press ENTER). Once that is done, I would like to run something against the RDM Agent that is on the remote host that I just established a RDP session to. Is it possible to automatically run something against a RDM agent at that point, or is manual intervention required to run a script/command line against a RDM Agent when you are connecting to multiple remote RDP sessions via a Playlist?

Thanks

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks. I tried to install it (as a service) using a couple of different methods but apparently it doesn't have the ServiceMain callback function so the service doesn't start (no matter how I've tried to install the service). I see that (currently) using the command-line to install RDM Agent installs a registry entry to "run" within the context of the user credentials. My goal is to try and deploy RDM Agent to multiple hosts (servers) via SCCM (so I may copy the files to each host manually via SCCM and modify the registry manually as well). Do you know if RDM Agent makes any other setting changes to any other part of the OS (other than the "run" registry entry)? In case you are wondering what I am trying to accomplish, my question here links back to a separate forum post that I did recently (RDM, playlists and macros).

Thanks

4 yrs RDM Agent as a service
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

I don't think that it is currently possible so I'd like to request a feature that the RDM Agent be able to install/run as a service.

Thanks

4 yrs RDM Agent as a service
STGdb
STGdbExpert user

That's perfect - thanks again. I can use SCCM to push the files out to the remote systems (servers) manually and now I have a command-line to install it with.

Much appreciated!!

STGdb
STGdbExpert user

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Yes, I can use the RDM Agent on our remote systems and if that works, that solves my issues. I didn't realize what the RDM Agent did, your explanation was great.

I downloaded the RDM Agent components from your website and I was looking at the document on how to install the RDM Agent. It looks like the files that I downloaded from the website are v1.0.2.0. In the document I linked, one of the methods to install the RDM Agent is to manually copy the files to the remote system from my locally installed RDM client:

Copy the files Devolutions.Utils.dll, Devolutions.Windows.Utils.dll and RDMAgent.exe from your installation folder on the remote host

When I compared the files that I downloaded to the files that the document tells me to copy to the remote system manually, the version numbers are the same but the file sizes and dates are different. I (personally) would rather use the "newer" files and copy them over manually, but when I run the RDMagent.exe file on the remote system, it prompts me whether I was to start it (register it).

Q. Is there any command-line to silently install/register the RDMagent.exe if I copy the files over to the remote system manually? I guess that I can use the MSI and then copy the newer files to the remote system and overwrite the MSI-installed files, but I wanted to check if there was a command-line for RDMagent.exe first.

Thanks again