Forum

Posts by ryan04 (ryan04)

ryan04
ryan04

Yes for #1.... some other method to open the My Credential interface via a session (powershell?)

For #2, we would like to give them the option to save any credentials that they might have but not create sessions. All of our sessions are based on templates which they could bypass by creating sessions in their personal vault. I really like the new password list feature as a "My Credential" but there are 34 servers that they could potentially login on through the load balancer. One day it might be there... the next day they would have to create it again.

2 yrs My Personal Credentials vs Personal Vault
ryan04
ryan04

I have a terminal server environment for my users that has the Ribbon\File menu (pretty much everything) disabled via group policy. Two hopefully quick questions

1. I'd like to open up the "My Credential" feature to my end users (password list type). Is there a method to open up the GUI for the "My Credential" screen without going through the File menu?

2. We do not use roaming profiles (I know, I know. It is not up to me) and I've read that this credential was stored on disk which is an issue in a load balanced terminal server environment. The only solution I can think of would be to store the credential in the database which requires personal vaults. Can a personal vault be locked down to only credential items?

2 yrs My Personal Credentials vs Personal Vault
ryan04
ryan04

The tags wouldn't be very useful to me at the moment but if it could be expanded later? Start with whatever would be most useful to the community?

For us, the $Custom_Field_5$ would be most valuable (single field) as I dump the CMDB json extract into this field for my synchronization scripts.

2 yrs Dynamic template list ...
ryan04
ryan04

I have accomplished this in the past with other managers by rotating through opened tabs. Perhaps a setting per tab group to allow rotation through the open sessions with a selectable time interval would be possible? The user could then drag/drop sessions from/to the tab group as needed to keep a session alive.

2 yrs RDP Keep alive
ryan04
ryan04

We have a large number of credentials and macro\scripts\tools that need to be available to our regular users and seems to create a lot of confusion. For example, all of the macro's are useless without being applied to a session via the dashboard... why have them visible to users without edit permissions in the navigation pane? The same goes for credential objects. Having an option to hide folders from read-only users would certainly help minimize the noise.

Another option that would be very helpful in cleaning up the noise is to allow macros to be visible to specific folders. For example, my sessions are grouped by application (folder). If I create a custom macro\script\tools specific for that particular application, I would want to make it visible in the dashboard for only session objects underneath that folder. Right now, the dashboard Macro\Scripts\Tools are filled with macros that do not apply to the selected session. We just hope they click on the right one after they scroll through the list.

2 yrs Hide from Users\Read-Only Users (Navigation pane) - Apply macros to folders
ryan04
ryan04

Hi David,
Forgive the hatchet job on the screenshots below, I thought pictures would help explain my thoughts.
A logic builder window would need to be created much the same way as the Advanced Search feature currently has.
This would in turn populate the appropriate templates in the template list at session execution time based on the processed logic rather than statically assigned to the session
In the hypothetical example above, I have logic which says this session is in a folder which contains "production" and the OS field contains "Windows" - so add the PRODUCTION - RDP template. I also have "Is virtual Machine" checked with type VMware - so it also gets the VMware Console template.
If I were to update the session OS information to "RedHat", the next time the session is opened, the PRODUCTION - RDP template would be replaced with a PRODUCTION - Putty template.
If I were to add Vendor "HP" AND populate the Remote Management URL, it would add the HP - ILO template. Changing vendor to Dell would replace the HP - ILO template with Dell - DRAC... etc.

ryan04
ryan04

back again...
Implement a method to batch edit the default action templates? I currently do this using PowerShell but it is... well... clunky. Better yet, create a dynamic template list based of the session metainformation. Some examples...

• if $VIRTUAL_MACHINE_ID$ -ne $null {add VMRC template to template list}
  • if $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_URL$ -ne $null {add iLO template to template list}
  • if $session.MetaInformation.OS -match "Windows" {apply RDP to template list}
  • if $GROUP$ -match %regexpattern% {apply multiple templates to template list}
  • and if $CUSTOM_FIELD_X$ -notmatch %pattern% {add X template to template list}
  • etc
Updating any of the metainformation would dynamically assign the appropriate session templates at execution time. The way we manage our RDM implementation, this functionality would be a game changer.

ryan04
ryan04

I could supply a few additional testers as well...

2 yrs IBM i on Power Access Client
ryan04
ryan04

All of my sessions are created via powershell and use virtual folders as part of the New-RDMSession cmdlet. With version 13, I'm no longer able to manage them as if they were sessions. Get-RDMSession no longer provides an object to modify and the Advanced Search wont display them for batch edit.
Is there another method that I can use to convert all "virtual folders" into actual folders?

2 yrs Virtual folder changes in v13
ryan04
ryan04

Dominik,

My previous reply focused more on the technical aspects of passing credentials to a powershell script (which is what RDM does). To accomplish this would require a separate function and database call, a "Get-RDMCredential" so to speak... which truthfully... would be a very nice feature.

From a purely functional perspective, using the RunAs option would give you the pass-thru authentication you mentioned and alleviate the concern?

2 yrs My Personal Credentials: Password encryption
ryan04
ryan04

The only method I know of getting around this is to have the password stored on disk as encrypted. I use a function in the gallery called StoredPSCrendential which will encrypt the password in the registry. It's still able to be unencrypted by that user on that machine...
Perhaps a function like this could be implemented in RDM? Even use the ConvertTo-SecureString -SecurityKey using the RDM application encryption.

2 yrs My Personal Credentials: Password encryption
ryan04
ryan04

You guys are great! Thank you!

2 yrs Security Setting not saved
ryan04
ryan04

When submitting an 'Allowed single IP's' entry it does not get saved. (DVLS 4.6.1)

No error messages.

Using the 'Allowed masked IP's' saves the subnet properly.

2 yrs Security Setting not saved
ryan04
ryan04

In addition. I just noticed that the 'Use template host' removes the host field value. Can this be changed to allow the host value and pass $HOST$ to the template?

2 yrs Additional feature requests
ryan04
ryan04

Done. Appreciate your help!

2 yrs VMWare Remote Console as template - not passing variables
ryan04
ryan04

• The VMRC connection takes a few seconds to connect - several depending on WAN latency. Using the default Console type, I get the powershell window which is not ideal (not a show stopper) and using the 'VMRC 8.0' type.. it shows nothing. What are the chances of executing powershell with -WindowStyle hidden and displaying a 'initializing session' progress bar (like when connecting to a datasource) for either of the Console types? I would think this would be relevant to any 3rd party type connectivity, macro, or script?
  • I currently use the 'Host' connection type and the new 'Use template host' feature. I'm unable to pass $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$ to a template but I passing $CUSTOM_FIELD_X$ value works.
  • Allow for an indefinite wait time for event (Before Connect, etc). This is currently limited to 300 seconds. A better option for me would be - if the event does not complete within the timeout period... don't open the session (Before Connect)?
  • Similar to what I mentioned regarding the default VMRC connection type - allow for a powershell -WindowStyle hidden option for powershell sessions and macros. I use GUI scripts almost exclusively... having the PS console draw on the screen and sit in the background is annoying.
  • Add more $CUSTOM_FIELD$ variables... this is very valuable real estate for me. Another option would be to allow carriage returns in $CUSTOM_FIELD_4/5$ which would allow me to parse it like an old school INI file. I can do this now, but having it in a human readable format would be very helpful.

2 yrs Additional feature requests
ryan04
ryan04

Just tested the 12.9.7 beta and the new check box solves the issue with the VMRC template! The ilo template doesn't appear to like the variables under the tools such as $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$ but does pass the $CUSTOM_FIELD_X$ variables. I might be pushing my luck... but since you guys appear to be on a "7 days to deploy a feature" kick smile What are the chances you could attempt to get the following in before v13 release?

• The VMRC connection takes a few seconds to connect - several depending on WAN connectivity. Using the default Console type, I get the powershell window which is not ideal (not a show stopper) and using the 'VMRC 8.0' type.. it shows nothing. What are the chances of executing powershell with -WindowStyle hidden and displaying a 'initializing session' progress bar (like when connecting to a datasource) for either of the Console types?
  • Allow passing the 'Tools' variables to a template such as $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$
  • Completely unrelated... allow for an indefinite wait time for event (Before Connect, etc). This is currently limited to 300 seconds. A better option for me would be - if the event does not complete within the timeout period... don't open the session (Before Connect)?
  • Similar to what I mentioned regarding the default VMRC connection type - allow for a powershell -WindowStyle hidden option for powershell sessions and macros. I use GUI scripts almost exclusively... waiting for the PS console to draw on the screen and sit in the background is annoying.
  • Add more $CUSTOM_FIELD$ variables... this is very valuable real estate for me. Another option would be to allow carriage returns in $CUSTOM_FIELD_4/5$ which would allow me to parse it like an old school INI file. I can do this now, but having it in a human readable format would be very helpful.

I know... I'm getting greedy. See what happens when you do a good job?

ryan04
ryan04

Thank you! I chose Devolutions over other solutions primarily based on the level of support and agility getting updates/fixes deployed that I've witnessed in these forums. Obviously, that was a good choice. smile

Looking forward to testing the next beta!

ryan04
ryan04

Regarding item #3, I spent some time troubleshooting this and found that the query uses the Win32_Product class which is inherently slow as it enumerates and performs a consistency check on all installed MSI packages... and if necessary... a repair.

Would it be possible to use a different query to pull software? Maybe a remote registry call?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

3 yrs A few hopefully simple feature requests..
ryan04
ryan04

Both scripts are functional. If it helps, I'm also having the same trouble with the HP (iLO Web) session as a template trying to pass $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$
DVLS Platinum version 4.6.1.0 (although tested with MySQL datasource as well)
Remote Desktop Manager version: 12.9.4.0

3 yrs VMWare Remote Console as template - not passing variables
ryan04
ryan04

Apologies...

1 - The original post is https://forum.devolutions.net/topic28133-before-connect-event--terminate-session.aspx?lastpage=1#post106966
2 - This is at the bottom of the template list screen (screenshot)
3 - Whatever you can do. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. Maybe execute in a different runspace and let it process in the background?
4 - Actually it is the context menu within the navigation pane as well as the Action pane. I have the ribbon removed for users via GPO but I need to remove the options for "open with parameters"

Ultimately, I am trying to run RDM in a "kiosk" mode (if you will). All system administrative interaction should be accomplish through database templates or through custom macros\tools.

ryan04
ryan04

1. (originally posted in support forum) Terminate session opening based on Before Connect Event validation
Hello,
I have been tasked with providing a solution for a "break glass" audit mechanism within RDM. I've created a powershell script that provides a graphical interface that prompts the user for information (ticket number, description, etc), validates and updates the ticket, injects the information into the session log file, then proceeds to log the technician into the session.
Since the powershell event does not have a "Wait for exit" option, I've compiled it into an executable and use the following command line event on the template.

myexecutable.exe -RDMSession $SESSION_ID$ -RDMName $NAME$
All works as expected except when the user decides to cancel. I cant seem to identify a way to prevent the session from continuing to login the user after the script has exited. I've tried a number of things. I've tried using Close-RDMSession on the cancel button event and while this does close the powershell session, it continues to open a new template session (without completing the validation requirement).
Is there some other way to prevent the session from continuing? I've been staring at this problem too long and need some thoughts outside of my box.
Thanks!

2. UI setting to disable "Blank Template" option - for the same reasons as item #1 above
3. A cancel button for the load inventory option - many times this will clock forever (or until I kill RDM via task manager)
4. UI setting to disable right-click context menu

ryan04
ryan04

Hi David - PowerCLI is fully functional within RDM. It does pass the VM label as a variable (better screenshot attached). It just doesn't pass the variable for the VM server.

Host Session:
Host = 10.93.69.100
CustomField1Value = PAZ1VCPW1V
CustomField2Value = PAZ1SPRXDW1V

VMRC Template - passes 10.93.69.100 as Server IP\DNS - passes PAZ1SPRXDW1V as VM ID
Server IP\DNS = $CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
VM ID = $CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

PowerShell Template - fully functional
Embedded script:
Connect-VIServer $CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
Open-VMConsoleWindow -VM $CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

VMRC Subconnection - fully functional
Server IP\DNS = $PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
VM ID = $PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

VMRC Session - fully functional
Server IP\DNS = PAZ1VCPW1V
VM ID = PAZ1SPRXDW1V

While I do have a workaround using the powershell template and embedded script, this requires some less secure methods to acquire and pass credentials (and takes longer). I did enable the VMWare Console connection type and tested opening the VMRC console successfully but it will not work for my needs.

Here is a thread that explains why I have to use the templates rather than the embedded VMWare console.
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic28133-before-connect-event--terminate-session.aspx?lastpage=1#post106970

ryan04
ryan04

Using the VMRC 8.0 setting, it will work as a regular session (hardcoded) and as a sub connection (passing the variables). When running as a template, nothing appears on the screen at all. Debugger shows "Silent: Connection to server failed!"

ryan04
ryan04

It doesn't seem to matter which variable I try to pass to the template from the host session, it will always use the value of the session host field.

If I catch it at the right time, I can capture the powershell error.

There was no endpoint listening at https://172.217.6.238/sdk that could accept the message

ryan04
ryan04

I'm currently using the beta 12.9.4.0 (needed to upgrade due to another issue).

ryan04
ryan04

I'm noticing that if I use the VMRC as a template from a Host session, it will always try to "Connect-VIServer $HOST$". (whatever value $HOST$ is)

I've tried setting $CUSTOM_FIELD1$ and $CUSTOM_FIELD2$ as the VCenter name and the VM ID\Name within the template but it still errors out trying to use the $HOST$ value for Connect-VIServer. I'm pretty sure I tested this back in 11.x and it was functional.

If I run the VMRC as a session with hard coded values it works.

ryan04
ryan04

I was able to identify that the issue was caused by the enablement of FIPS compliance. Once I had the server removed from that OU, the powershell CmdLets are functional again. This will likely be an issue at some point as the terminal servers will be classified as PCI1B and will require FIPS.

3 yrs Powershell : WARNING: Data source not found
ryan04
ryan04

This was set to 'Last used data source'

ryan04
ryan04

Version 5.1 - Attached is a screenshot of the issue