Forum

Posts by thorsten (thorsten)

thorsten
thorsten

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. The problematic things are that the database is in use by Remote Desktop Manager and encrypted. But you're likely already aware of this.
edited by thorsten on 6/23/2013

7 yrs Pack SQLite database?
thorsten
thorsten

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Remote Desktop Manager and hover with the mouse over the Dashboard tab. It shows a "Dashboard" popup
2. Open tabbed PuTTY session and hover with the mouse over the Dashboard and PuTTY tab: no popups
3. Click on the dashboard tab and hover over the dashboard and PuTTY tab: both tabs show popups
4. Click on PuTTY tab again and hover over dashboard and PuTTY tab: no popups shown
5. Alt-Tab to another application and Alt-Tab back again. PuTTY tab is still active. Hover over dashboard and PuTTY tab: now both tabs show popups again.

7 yrs Tab title popups not visible when switching tabs
thorsten
thorsten

Tab titles are pretty much useless in its current implementation when you have two sessions of the same type. Say you have a connection Intern/server1/SSH and Intern/server2/SSH. Both sessions will display "SSH" on the tab title without any way to distinguish between.

Hovering over the tabs with the mouse only shows information when the dashboard tab is active (not when one of the SSH tabs is active). I know about the category and the color options (under More) but this is the wrong approach. I cannot manually categorize or color all my 190 connections - especially because I need the distinction only when two connections of the same kind are open.

7 yrs Better support for tab titles
thorsten
thorsten

Hi,
I'd like to request support to run popular apps (like WinSCP and SecureCRT) in tabbed mode (not external)!
I don't know about the particular problems but even ConEmu (https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/) - which is a host for non-GUI applications - runs WinSCP and SecureCRT without any problems tabbed.

7 yrs Support for embedding popular apps
thorsten
thorsten

Hi,

all console (conhost/"Command Line") based sessions I run do not open maximized in embedded/tabbed mode. That means they open with the same size as when I run them standalone outside of Remote Desktop Manager. See screenshot...

7 yrs Console based sessions don't open maximed
thorsten
thorsten

It only happens when Connection > Attempt to reconnect on connection failure is activated

7 yrs Five seconds delay when switching tabs using KiTTY
thorsten
thorsten

Hi,

I'm using KiTTY in portable mode instead of PuTTY (has some nice extra features including automatic reconnect). When I have a KiTTY tab open to a server that does not respond (the server is off for instance) switching between tabs in Remote Desktop Manager takes five seconds or so. This does not happen with PuTTY.

7 yrs Five seconds delay when switching tabs using KiTTY
thorsten
thorsten

Using KiTTY instead of PuTTY (portable) solved the issue for me

7 yrs PuTTY window not fully maximized
thorsten
thorsten

I'm not sure that this is the root cause. Databases normally don't release space for deleted objects, that why one has to "pack" them.

thorsten
thorsten

I recently switched from an XML data source to SQLite. The size went from around 1 Mb to 11.5 already. Is there a way to pack an encrypted SQLite database?

thorsten
thorsten

I changed the interface language some time ago to German and now I'd like to switch back to English. I cannot find the option anymore in the menus or options. Where is it gone (latest version)?

7 yrs Where change interface language
thorsten
thorsten

8.2.19 - although it's been this way since I started using RDM last year

7 yrs Description doesn't show formatting
thorsten
thorsten

[different OSes, computers and RDM versions]
Quite often, information entered as RTF (font and font size) under More > Description (see screenshot 1) doesn't show up formatted when using the tabbed I-don't-know-its-name (see screenshot 2). Some it opens slowly as in screenshot 2 and then displays correctly as in screenshot 3. Often the transition never happens.
[Screenshots are displayed in the wrong order below]

edited by thorsten on 6/8/2013
edited by thorsten on 6/8/2013

7 yrs Description doesn't show formatting
thorsten
thorsten

The SSH Key Generator tool does not save comments. In the case of a PuTTY private key format, the comment will be something like "ssh-rsa-key-20130525", in the case of a OpenSSH private key format, there will be no comment and in the case of a public key, the comment will be "Saved by Rebex SSH" - regardless of what you enter in the comment field.

7 yrs SSH Key Generator does not save comments
thorsten
thorsten

Did that and it deleting works afterwards. I noticed that with the new beta 17 all changes under File > Administration > Data Source Settings > General are not saved. Any change on that tab (unchecking "Allow offline mode", "Allow user specific settings", etc. are lost when clicking OK and re-opening the settings.

7 yrs Switching from XML data source to SQLite
thorsten
thorsten

Creating a new SQLite data source works. Creating and deleting entries also - even when it's password protected.

So I'm off to exporting all my entries in Beta 16 and importing them in Beta 17?!?

thorsten
thorsten

Done

thorsten
thorsten

Yes, delete and change. Didn't try moving. It was actually not one entry but /all/ entries...

7 yrs Cannot delete entry
thorsten
thorsten

Beta 17 changes all entries to read-only. Nice one... :-/

thorsten
thorsten

It was definitely the beta. I reverted to beta 16 and everything was fine again

thorsten
thorsten

Latest beta from today. Switched from XML to sqlite on Sunday.

thorsten
thorsten

I have a ssh session entry that I cannot delete. When I edit the entry I get a duplicate with the same name which I can delete.

I restarted Remote Desktop Manager and tried to move the entry - without success. No error message.

thorsten
thorsten

Hi,

how can I switch with the keyboard between open tabs (open sessions)?

7 yrs Keyboard shortcut to switch between tabs
thorsten
thorsten

Yup, I already found that myself shortly after posting the question. The export/import is pretty straight forward but it's a bit trial and error because of the complete lack of documentation.

I had problems protecting the SQLite database with a password. With the XML database you just set a master key (although the "always ask master key" in the settings of the data source doesn't have any apparent effect).

With SQLite you have to change the security provider, then set "requires password" but not "save password" and then not enter the password into the password field but set it via change password. Very, very confusing, indeed.

What I would really be interested in is if SQLite instead of XML will have performance and stability (no data corruption) advantages. I have my data sources on a USB3 thumb drive on exFAT (as well as RDM itself). The XML file is 770 KB and the SQLite database 2MB...

thorsten
thorsten

okay, makes sense

7 yrs Application versus data source password
thorsten
thorsten

I would like to change the format of my existing XML based data source to SQLite format. One advantage - I think - is that it would allow me to embed files in the database. Is changing the format from XML to SQLITE possible and what would be the procedure?

thorsten
thorsten

Remote Desktop Manager offers two types of passwords to secure the connections within the application: one for opening Remote Desktop Manager and one for opening the data source. What would be the use case for setting a password on Remote Desktop Manager and not on the data source?
An attacker could just download Remote Desktop Manager and then access the same data source without the application password...

7 yrs Application versus data source password
thorsten
thorsten

I wanted to create a SSH (not PuTTY nor SSH Shell) connection so I can ssh into the remote host that I cannot reach directly. From the settings page I can see that I can specify host, host port, local IP, port and remote port. The one thing that is missing is the remote host IP that the session is forwarded to (see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/attarchive/vnc/sshvnc.html).

So in essence I can only tunnel my ssh connection (which is obviously useless) but not remotely forward it.

Thanks

7 yrs Add full support for SSH forwarding
thorsten
thorsten

By the way I was looking in the PDF documentation under View > Panes (Footer) before I asked here. The PDF does not contain the two screenshots (or any text) as in the online documentation. And yes, I'm using the latest documentation available.

7 yrs How can I get this thing back?
thorsten
thorsten

1. Okay, the documentation says "Use the View -> Footer commands to control the visibility of individual panes.". I don't have Footer under View. Is that only available in ribbon mode?

2. You wrote "At the lower right there is the User Interface section with a drop down allowing you to select other modes." I only have "Toggle navigation mode" (which is not drop-down) - see screenshot.
edited by thorsten on 3/14/2013

7 yrs How can I get this thing back?