Forum

Posts by Thomas Hofkens (Thomas Hofkens)

Hello Devolutions team,

I was contemplating whether I would continue on the old topic or start a new one but it seems more correct to start a new thread.

I just got DVLS 4.x working on a Server 2012 R2 and was able to log in through a domain user (yay) but now I'm trying to log in through RADIUS/Vasco and it's not working for me:

You could say that we should use the Vasco 2FA feature you guys implemented but SOAP Authentication is an 'Enterprise Edition' feature of Vasco Identikey Authentication Server and we're running on the 'Gold Edition'.
Now I know this is not the help section of the DVLS forum so I'm not asking for an answer to the above right now because I don't think we'll be able to use DVLS in it's current form.

The reason is because there is no possibility to distinguish between external and internal logins. For us it would be great if we would have the possibility to set up a Data Source which connects to the SQL Server but when it's not reachable, it fails over to DVLS with 2FA.

But the best possible option for us would be ADFS integration with claims based authentication. This allows us to have domain PC's and computers connect straight to the DVLS server without entering credentials when connecting from the inside while outside connections automatically ask for username and password and then (if configured) a second factor. We've so far implemented Exchange OWA and Citrix Sharefile with it. These are pure web apps so I'm not sure how it would work in DVLS/RDM.

Best regards,
Thomas

3 yrs Two factor authentication: continued

Well I found all the users but could not log in with them (trial DVLS installation right now). I was able to solve that with the following post from you guys: https://helpserver.devolutions.net/index.html?upgrade_dvls32.htm

I don't think we can start using DVLS just yet, there are some issues with it in for our way of working but I'll keep that for another forum post.

Seems that this problem is no issue for me anymore (I threw away the old server). Thank you very much for your help.

3 yrs Failed installation and Blank administration page

Okay I just set up a completely new server 2012 R2 and I now finally have a DVLS web interface. The biggest issue right now is that I have to recreate users to be able to log in to DVLS.

Thanks Erica,

Yes, integrated security is enabled and yes, the user has enough access permissions (DB Administrator).
I will check out the logging and get back when I have more to work with.

Best regards,
Thomas

Hello,

I was thinking about trying out DVLS in our company. I have a Windows Server 2008 r2 with IIS and all the necessary features installed (as can be found in the online help). When adding a new server in the DVLS console (after starting RDM 'as administrator'), I get a green light from the initial feature check:

I configure everything as it's found in the online help but I do use an exisiting database (RDMPVM_Test). I also make sure the ASP.NET State Service is started.

I get the following after install:

With no more information... After that I try to log in to the web page and I can see the title changing but I just get a blank page (IE11 / IE10 / FF x.x).

Are there any log files I can go through or pass on? The 'Application Log' doesn't give anything on this problem.

Best regards,
Thomas

Okay, I still had some issues two weeks ago but I was able to have a go at it again today and everything works like a charm. Thank you very much!

3 yrs [solved] A lot of connections missing regularly

Hi David,

We have a system for bulk adding connections (for full server infrastructure update projects and such). I made an Excel Macro (quite extensive, works with subconnections and all) which in it's turn makes an XML file with all the necessary data in it which we can import into RDM.

I understand that this is not an optimal way to work and I have no problem using a new method for bulk adding connections but is there another way? I tried checking out the Powershell API but I needed administrator permissions to load the module so that's not something I want my users to be doing.

I'll try your suggestion next week when I get back and I'll let you know what the result is.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Thomas

4 yrs [solved] A lot of connections missing regularly

Update: I emptied out my test database until I had just one entry (and it's credential) left. I had to do a lot by hand in the database itself because it wouldn't delete the empty ones from the GUI.

Can I send you the database backup file to see the issue for yourself? It's about 3MB. I'd rather not put it here, you never know what can be retrieved from it.

Even more weird: Connections have been changed to different types:

10.5.4.0:

11.7.6.0:

The XML entries are quite different too:

10.5.4.0:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfConnection>
<Connection>
<AllowClipboard>true</AllowClipboard>
<ConnectionType>Putty</ConnectionType>
<CreatedBy>DMSVCKOR\thkn</CreatedBy>
<CreationDateTime>2012-06-18T16:53:02.0024469+02:00</CreationDateTime>
<CredentialConnectionID>1dfd9602-cc13-4c33-8684-f8fb77a0708d</CredentialConnectionID>
<Description>HP-UX Workstation</Description>
<Events />
<GroupTab>ANONCUSTOMER</GroupTab>
<ID>5b5e99e5-653c-4e85-84fb-e84356324a01</ID>
<MetaInformation />
<Name>FLUPKE</Name>
<OpenEmbedded>true</OpenEmbedded>
<Putty>
<Host>192.168.112.65</Host>
<PortFowardingArray />
<ProtocolType>Telnet</ProtocolType>
<Scripting />
<TelnetEncoding>IBM437</TelnetEncoding>
<UseSession>false</UseSession>
</Putty>
<Stamp>f3684e75-2813-49d5-93e1-d769fa68a5ac</Stamp>
</Connection>
</ArrayOfConnection>

11.7.6.0:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfConnection>
<Connection>
<RDP />
<ConnectionType>RDPConfigured</ConnectionType>
<CredentialConnectionID>1dfd9602-cc13-4c33-8684-f8fb77a0708d</CredentialConnectionID>
<ID>5b5e99e5-653c-4e85-84fb-e84356324a01</ID>
<Name>FLUPKE</Name>
<Stamp>840a9b87-81dd-416b-984d-f87c752f4b7e</Stamp>
</Connection>
</ArrayOfConnection>

Database:

<?xml version="1.0"?><Connection><AllowClipboard>true</AllowClipboard><ConnectionType>Putty</ConnectionType><CreatedBy>DMSVCKOR\thkn</CreatedBy><CreationDateTime>2012-06-18T16:53:02.0024469+02:00</CreationDateTime><CredentialConnectionID>1dfd9602-cc13-4c33-8684-f8fb77a0708d</CredentialConnectionID><Description>HP-UX Workstation</Description><Events/><Group>ANONCUSTOMERGROUP</Group><GroupTab>ANONCUSTOMER</GroupTab><ID>5b5e99e5-653c-4e85-84fb-e84356324a01</ID><MetaInformation/><Name>FLUPKE</Name><OpenEmbedded>true</OpenEmbedded><Putty><Host>192.168.112.65</Host><PortFowardingArray/><ProtocolType>Telnet</ProtocolType><Scripting/><TelnetEncoding>IBM437</TelnetEncoding><UseSession>false</UseSession></Putty><Stamp>ab899ad2-af4a-4dbf-ab40-5e8ee3ae524d</Stamp></Connection>

Is it possible that there is an issue with the database? Can I perform a check for that?

Best regards,
Thomas

My last post for this year (15 minutes to go and then it's no more worky worky till januari 2nd):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfConnection>
<Connection>
<Events>
<WarnIfAlreadyOpened>true</WarnIfAlreadyOpened>
</Events>
<RDP />
<ConnectionType>RDPConfigured</ConnectionType>
<CredentialConnectionID>ea9d2fa9-d78c-4ec7-8dcf-7560276c6485</CredentialConnectionID>
<DisableFullWindowDrag>true</DisableFullWindowDrag>
<DisableThemes>true</DisableThemes>
<ID>df53c576-7331-408e-8b7f-75e9e7312d47</ID>
<Stamp>382301df-11a0-445a-95ba-de2214c30573</Stamp>
</Connection>
</ArrayOfConnection>

When looking in the database directly, I can't find this entry:

select * from Connections where ID like '%d47'

746DD494-3F4C-4256-8A77-62CE076D4D47
793762AB-C982-4092-AE7B-C06B4A6D0D47
11E7125F-1B1A-4FDD-A3FC-E614E228FD47
2F167167-1B52-4678-BD6E-F4A22B671D47

Also filtering in the DATA column with the following query doesn't resolve anything:
select * from Connections where DATA like '%df53c576-7331-408e-8b7f-75e9e7312d47%'

Best regards,
Thomas

Same thing for 11.7.6.0 ... For online mode with or without caching and offline mode disabled and also for offline mode.

I restored a backup from the SQL server and ran 11.7.6.0 which doesn't need a DB upgrade (from 10.5.4.0) and I get the same as above. Any ideas?

I just upgraded RDM to 12.0.5.0 and my testing database (thank God) and I was greeted by
- a bunch of empty connections in the root (no name, folder, description, ...)
- a bunch of subconnections in the root, which are not defined as subconnections any more. Not all subconnections are moved to the root. The subconnections I see in the root are not where they also should be...

The named connections should be defined as subconnections:

Okay, I'll try it out, thanks!

Hi David,

We're on version 10.5.4.0 and a full refresh (CTRL+F5) does not fix this.

Best regards,
Thomas

Hello,

Both me and my colleagues have the same issue about once every few weeks, be it offline or online with the SQL database: Connections are missing from the treeview.

I have a script that removes everything from %localappdata%\Devolutions and then copies our configuration XML to the same location. After that all connections are good, but I have to be online with the database for that to work. When at a customer site, we have a problem that we can't work around.

Below is what my colleague is seeing right now in stead of the 200+ folders he should be seeing:

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Thomas

Hi Jean-Fran├žois,
I'm using an existing database as back-end for DVLS 3.2.1.0. Well I restored a backup of our existing database to a test server and installed RDM & DVLS on the same server.
When connecting straight to the SQL Database with an AD user, I can read, edit, delete and create all entries, just like when not using DVLS. But when I configure DVLS to connect to that database, I can't see any entries. When I test the connection in the Devolutions Server console > edit settings > authentication. Everything seems OK. This user is also an Administrator, I checked this through the Devolutions Server console.
I removed and recreated the user but still no sessions to be seen. I can however log in to the web interface with that user but when trying to view the sessions, I get the following error message:
<RDMOConnectionMetaData xmlns=''> was not expected. Best regards,
Thomas

4 yrs migrate from standalone SQL database datasource to RDMS 3x

Hi Maurice,
I'm just testing out Devolutions Server in a testlab before we buy anything. I'm also having some problems with the users. Is there a procedure I can follow to change the users myself? It's a test setup and I recon I will be removing, adding & restoring the database a few times.
Best regards,
Thomas

4 yrs migrate from standalone SQL database datasource to RDMS 3x

Thank you for the suggested solution but that's not the problem.
I need a way to authenticate to Remote Desktop Manager Server with AD+Radius in the same way I connect to our XenApp environment.
In stead of just filling in username and password when connecting to Remote Desktop Manager Server (which people will automatically save, making all our customers' serverinformation and login information accessible for anyone who can log in to the usersession), we would need a third field for RADIUS authentication.

6 yrs 2 Factor Authentication

Hello,

We are using Remote Desktop Manager and Password Vault Manager for about 80+ users that mainly access the connections from outside the office (We're in IT Infrastructure services). Today I had some time to install Remote Desktop Manager to have a constant connection to the Database for adding and editing entries easily.
After installing I immediatly realised we're not going be able to use it... We have a strict security policy which dictates that something with sensitive data is not to be accessed from outside the internal network without 2 factor authentication.

At the moment, we are using Vasco (https://www.vasco.com/) for our 2FA needs which in it's turn uses the open RADIUS protocol. My feature thus is: is possible to incorporate AD+RADIUS authentication?

Example of how we use it for Citrix XenApp: https://citrix.savaco.com/vpn/index.html
- First field = username (same in AD as in Vasco DB)
- Second field = AD password (authenticates to AD, together with username from first field)
- Third field = Vasco PIN code + 6 digit secret from a token (authenticates with RADIUS to Vasco DB with username from first field)

Best regards,
Thomas Hofkens
Savaco NV
Belgium

6 yrs 2 Factor Authentication

Hello,

I've noticed some minor bugs in the user interface settings of RDM (using 9.0.11.0 with Cassic UI) and PVM:

RDM
- User Interface > Data source location: When set to 'None', I still get the dropdown box on the top of the navigation pane.
- User Interface > Filter > Disable smart expand on filter: enabling this, still expands the treeview when I do a search, I'd rather not have that happen. We have all our customers as folders under the root and when I am searching for a customer or an affiliated site, it's annoying to have the entire folder expanded. The short code we use for our customers (name of the folder) is entered as the 'tab page category'.

PVM
- General > Setting the Tree view item height does not change anything, not even the value

Besides these bugs: I can't seem to find a way to show my credential entries in the tree in RDM. I used to be able to right click the '...' button next to the filter and choose to display 'Data Entries'

7 yrs Some minor bugs in the User Interface