Forum

Posts by andrew.demerchant (andrew.demerchant)

This is something that has broken rather recently, for what it's worth...somewhere along the way in v10.5.

5 yrs Keyboard often not working in VNC

I've never really found a good solution. Sometimes (but not often) restarting the connection does the trick. I've also tried restarting the vnc server service. The mouse still works, so clicking inside isn't a problem...In fact, this last time, I was in there clicking around on a remote machine doing some work, and it wasn't until I went to type something that I noticed that I couldn't.

My goto solution so far is to open a standalone connection (outside of RDM)...

Quite often, I'm finding that I'm not able to type in remote VNC sessions using either of the VNC methods in RDM. I know it's not on the service end though, because if I use a standalone vncviewer.exe, I've got no problems at all. I'm using v10.5.4.0 x86.

6 yrs Display scaling - UltraVNC

This one shows that it's not scaling:
scaling1

And these show the settings:
scaling2
scaling3

FYI - this is still a bug in 9.4.7.0

I mean it would be nice to be able to set up a new VNC Session for a new machine in RDM, and right from the dashboard or something be able to remotely install VNC Server (with some predefined options that have been set somewhere else)....and then as a nice finishing touch, have it make sure that the server service is running once the install completes.

6 yrs Ability to deploy VNC

Not entirely sure - but I do know that VNC settings are stored in the registry, so it should be as easy as setting up a spot to enter some options in RDM and then generate a .reg file and have that imported after the server install.

It would be a handy feature to be able to deploy VNC (complete with some predefined settings)...I realize this could be done by using some scripting, but it would be nice if it was more built-in than that.

Thanks! And if I wanted to download a beta, how would I do that?

6 yrs beta releases?

I've got my program set to give me notifications for all new releases, including betas....so right now, it tells me the newest version is 9.0.16.0, but the change history still shows up as 9.0.12.0. I'm wondering where I get the betas from, and where I can see the change history for them...

6 yrs beta releases?

That would do the trick - the main thing is to only show it once....even just having your favs list set to never show duplicates would do the trick (unless there was some case where someone actually did want to see duplicates in there).

6 yrs Duplicate favorites

If you favorite a session, and then create a shortcut for that session and put it somewhere else, you'll then see both listed (ie duplicates) when you view your favs.

6 yrs Duplicate favorites

Ok - just hadn't seen a reply, so I wasn't sure that it was seen. thanks!

6 yrs better RDP screen scaling

I guess this really should be moved to the bugs section - should I repost there? Or can it be moved?

Update: I don't think this is only happening when I set the session's display resolution to a different aspect ratio than my own. I just tried one now that was set to 1280x1024 (which is 4:3, same as my own) and it's squished the same way as my screen capture. Not sure what the pattern is, but it's definitely not scaling correctly sometimes.

Display scaling when using UltraVNC, instead of the default, doesn't seem to work.

Ah - so there are multiple places to enter credentials...that's where I'm getting confused. Setting that to use the session credentials does the trick! Thanks!

6 yrs Inherited credentials not wokring as expected

Hm - Looks like it's working fine for the VNC credentials, but not the credentials for the inventory report, for example....What I want is to have ALL of my credentials inherited - so for VNC, RDP, Windows Explorer, WMI, etc. I must be going about this the wrong way. How should I do that?

I'm not able to get inherited credentials working...maybe it's just me. I've got all of my sessions set to "inherited" under credentials, and the folders that they're in are also set to inherited. At the root of my tree, I've tried 2 things so far with the same results....1) I've tried setting the root to "my personal credentials" and 2) I tried adding some credentials and then setting this to "credential repository" and then picked my repo. Neither of these methods are working for me...If I go into the sessions and set the credentials to either of those 2 settings from my root, things work fine - so I know it's not a problem with my credentials. Any ideas?

Looks to me like the problem only happens when you use certain screen sizes...I'd accidentally set this session to use a wide screen size (1280x800). this is what it looks like with smart Sizing (and fit embedded rdp window is always checked for me, and disabled...ie, I can't change it).

Capture%5b1%5d

Worth pointing out that my own display is 4:3 (not wide screen)....so maybe the problem is happening when you apply the smart scaling to a display size that's in a different aspect ratio than the machine running RDM? I mean, If I change this session's resolution to something that's 4:3, then it scales just fine...

Maybe I didn't explain it quite right....I've seen this done before.

I don't mean that I need it to resize when I scale the window, but when I first connect, it should just shrink to fit my screen size (keeping the aspect ratio). This is how it's done in VNC Manager (which is what I'm coming from) and also how the RDP metro app in windows 8 does it. It just shrinks the whole thing down by x% to fit the size of your window upon launching the session....after that, f you resize it, it gets screwy with the aspect ratio too.

The current RDP screen scaling (the "smart sizing" option) just squeezes everything into your current screen size and doesn't seem to care about aspect ratio. This drives me a little nuts. Can you make the scaling respect the aspect ratio?

It doesn't automatically, but you can select one (of any number of them) and then add it to any other folder....it works out that it's a nice fast way to create a database. Along with setting your subnets and scan criteria, these dynamic folders also have credentials that are applied to everything inside, so If you want, you don't even need to use regular folders.

7 yrs Import Sessions from network scan

I'm coming from using VNC Manager (from SmartCode)...I'm just looking at what else is out there right now, but for what it's worth, VNC Manager lets you have a "dynamic search folder" in your tree, which you can define to scan your network (automatically, at what ever interval you like)...it's a handy feature that lets you see what's currently on your network. Anyway, just throwing that info out there!

Ah - that's it. It was set to use the default credentials....which brings me to a new question, I guess. How do I set the default credentials? I ask that, because I thought that I had already set them, but since this didn't seem to work, it looks like I'd set something else. What I had done was to go to Templates -> Default Settings -> Credentials -> Username/Password.....is that not right?

7 yrs Inventory Report always fails

+1 for this...the ability to import from network scans (a user defined ip range, ideally) would be a definite plus for this program.

I'm seeing access denied via the application log...running RDM as admin makes no difference (which, it really shouldn't in my case - I'm already in the admin group). I have full admin rights on all machines, so it seems to be a problem with credentials, for some reason.

Just to be clear, where do I enter the credentials that will be used for the inventory report? Maybe I've set things up wrong...

Ya, that really shouldn't be an issue, since I'm able to get WMI info from my computers remotely via other programs without trouble....do you have a test I can try? Or a log to look at?

I'm just testing out a demo of this program right now, and for the most part it's looking pretty good...but one thing that I can't see to get working is the Inventory Report. If I select a session and then click the "Inventory Report" link I get a couple of errors and then nothing. I'm guessing it's to do with credentials, but so far as I know, everything's configured correctly....event viewer, computer management, services - all of these work fine. Just not the inventory.