Forum

Posts by rmarkiewicz (rmarkiewicz)

rmarkiewicz
rmarkiewiczDevolutions staff

Hello arild

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having.

There were some important reliability fixes to the Wayk Now client between version 3.3.0 and 3.3.2, including specifically in 3.3.1 a fix for an issue that could have prevented the unattended service from accepting connections. You can see the full history of release notes here: https://wayk.devolutions.net/release-notes.

It's good that you have updated to 2019.2.1, and I would encourage you to try and track the most recent release possible. I do, however, understand that may not be straightforward in all environments / use-cases. If it's of interest to you, we now supply a PowerShell module that can ease installation and updates to the software. If you have questions or comments on that, please let me know.

Finally, 2019.2.1 overhauls key parts of the P2P networking stack; while it is the first step in a number of coming improvements, we hope that it will increase reliability significantly.

I encourage you to keep working with the current release and please let us know if you continue to experience issues.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

7 hrs Wayk Now stability does not perform as expected.
rmarkiewicz

Hello David

Thanks for the feedback. Please don't hesitate to post back with further questions or comments.

Kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

3 days Wayk Now - still not a replacement for Teamviewer
rmarkiewicz

Hello fauland

A crash on the client when connecting sounds really irregular; I'm wondering if this is related to the black screen issue. Maybe there's something about the VPS that we are failing to capture or encode the screen properly; or to decode that on the client.

The NowSession.log earlier didn't get attached properly on the forum, but you said it was empty, which is not unexpected. If there was a capture error on the server I'd expect it to be written to that file.

On your client (the one you are connecting from), please enable the logs by going to Options > Advanced > Logging Level, and tuning it to DEBUG. You will need to restart the client after making the change. Then; if you experience the crash and/or black screen, please send us the file from %APPDATA%\Wayk\Logs\WaykNow.log.

The only way to connect to your VPS in unattended mode (i.e. no logged in user running the Wayk Now client) is with SRD authentication, yes; and that does require a license (on your client machine - the one you are connecting *from*). If you don't have a license on that side you should receive a message box to the effect of "unattended access requires a license".

Sorry if that was not clear earlier. If you want to continue testing, you can request a 30-day trial by filling out this form: https://wayk.devolutions.net/trial. The sales team will send you a trial license.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

3 days Wayk Now - Black screen on a VPS
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Like Marc-Andre said, in most cases without a monitor attached (or an attached monitor over HDMI or DisplayPort, but powered off) I would expect to see a black screen; or at least a limited resolution / color depth forced by the console display driver.

It's a common issue in remote software and there's a healthy market for these EDID devices to enable high resolutions on headless boxes remotely...

It was me that had access to your remote machine Kris - was it via UltraVNC? I know that at least some VNC servers use a custom display driver to work around that too...

But as you and Marc-Andre summarize; there does seem to be other cases where this can work. I've added a task internally to investigate this.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days I can't see the remote screen
rmarkiewicz

Hi fauland

For the authentication, it's the expected behaviour. Let me explain:

- For an installation with the .msi (that includes the Windows Service), it is not possible to disable SRD authentication. The option should appear checked, but disabled.
- When connecting to a remote machine, SRP and PFP (if enabled) will only be accessible if there is a logged in user on the remote machine running the Wayk Now client. Otherwise, there is no way to see the SRP password or PFP prompt.
- So, in this case, only SRD authentication will be available.

This is well explained in this post. It also gives an option to let the .msi configure a fixed password for use with the SRD authentication. You can let me know if you have questions or feedback about that!

it sometimes crashes, sometimes asks me username and password

What is the message reported when the connection fails? Or do you mean the application crashes and exits?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Wayk Now - Black screen on a VPS
rmarkiewicz

Hi Kris

I do know it's not the first time that this has occurred for you. I've looked back over previous posts and discussions we had in PM to try and get a complete picture here; because you have experienced several issues over the last months (this "target hostname" resolution error, peer-to-peer connection errors, problems with performance / codec / graphics mode as well as issues with RDM). We've discussed some or all or them in different threads, in some cases provided fixes, and of course there is a lot of log history to look at. We appreciate your help and time in all of this.

We checked the logging in our backend and saw the client ID 441193 listed with the V2 Den version, although it was listed as OFFLINE. However - there can be a disconnection between when you experience the issue and when we check the database (we have only live status in there, not historical).

The connection is failing *before* even getting to negotiate the P2P connection. We suspect one of two things - the remote system somehow thinks it is connected to Wayk Den, when in fact it is not; or the remote system is connected to our ingress / load balancer but the connection into the backend is dropped. We are looking into this alongside our infrastructure team; there is definitely something about the present circumstances triggering this (it is not the norm for the majority of users...).

What is the remote machine in this case? Is it a server (always on), or something like a desktop / laptop that can be on/off, restarted, logged in and out over the day?

In the meantime I encourage you to deploy the 2019.2.1 update which is now available.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days New version... old problem - can't connect :(
rmarkiewicz

Hello fauland

Thanks a lot. Can you confirm that you do not have any dis(connected) RDP sessions?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

rmarkiewicz

Hello Kris

I will reply to you on your more recent thread; but just in case anyone is following this discussion, Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download here.

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Can't support customer ... again :(
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Thank you for your patience. Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download here.

If you continue to experience issues - even sporadically - please let us know. I understand it can be inconvenient to provide diagnostic data, but if you do see connection failures, even just recording the error message on the client side would be helpful.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Problems with the application
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Thank you for your patience. Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download here.

If you continue to experience issues - even sporadically - please let us know. I understand it can be inconvenient to provide diagnostic data, but if you do see connection failures, even just recording the error message on the client side would be helpful.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Wayak not working
rmarkiewicz

Hello David

The above issue is corrected in version 2019.2.1, available here. Thanks again for your patience.

Kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Wayk Now - still not a replacement for Teamviewer
rmarkiewicz

Hi Martin

The 2019.2.1 release fixes the issue, and is available here. Thanks again for you patience.

Kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Update 2019.2?
rmarkiewicz

Hello again

Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download here, and corrects the issue with the erroneous update message.

I recommend updating your client and then re-enabling the update check, if necessary, by following the steps in my prior post.

The RDM team is aware of the issue launching Wayk sessions; a fix will be available in the next point release of RDM. In the meantime, a workaround is to launch your Wayk sessions externally, so they open in the Wayk Now client.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Problem with new version of Wayk
rmarkiewicz

Hi Kris

Debug logging is now the default for the unattended service in 2019.2.0 and higher.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Logging options
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Thank you for your patience. Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available here and should resolve the above issue.

Please let us know if you have further questions or feedback.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days 3.3.2.0 stays minimized and unresponsive?
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Thanks for your patience on this.

Wayk Now 2019.2.1 is now available for download for desktop systems (Windows, macOS, Linux) here. Please update your computer(s) to the latest version.

Then, on iOS - if you are running version 3.3.2 or higher - with the keyboard open, you can long-press the keyboard button on the session toolbar and it will turn red. This indicates you are in unicode input mode, and should workaround keyboard layout issues.

We welcome your feedback on this. A future update will make that available on Android as well.

Thanks and kind regards

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days German Keyboard Problem
rmarkiewicz

Hello again fauland

Please note that if you have a disconnected (not logged off RDP) session on the remote machine, you will see a black screen when you connect with Wayk Now.

Please see "Known Issues" on our online help page.

A disconnected RDP session stops all remote graphics rendering, hence, when connected, you see a black screen.

The solution is to logoff your RDP session before connecting with Wayk Now.

We have a project to improve compatibility with RDP sessions, so you can look for this being resolved in the future.

For now, let me know if that resolves the issue!

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

rmarkiewicz

Hello fauland

Please can you locate the following files on the remote machine and send them to us (either via the forum or to support@devolutions.net):

%PROGRAMDATA%\Wayk\Logs\NowService.log
C:\Windows\Temp\NowSession.log

That will help us troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

rmarkiewicz

Hi Alexander

Your assumptions around the UI for the different IDs are basically correct. The bookmark format allows both fields to be set, and the UI respects that; however, in that case, automatically selecting a target to use or allowing the user to choose / prompting the user has lead to significant confusion in our tests. We are planning to revisit that in the near future.

Since installation on Monday, I did not have to restart Wayk Now.

Good news. Since you use the .msi on the remote machine, the latest version defaults now to a higher logging level. So if you experience issues down the line, you can find %PROGRAMDATA%\Wayk\Logs\NowService.log and either attach it to a forum post or send it to support@devolutions.com with a description of the issue, and it will help us troubleshoot.

For your information, the updated mobile client should now be available for both Android and iOS.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

4 days Wayk Now 2019.2.0 problem logging into remote PC
rmarkiewicz

Hello again

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I did some checking and while the Ctrl+Alt+Delete action works well when I tested it from iOS and macOS to a remote Windows machine, there is a bug in the implementation for Android.

I've raised the issue internally and we'll post back here once a fix is available. I'm afraid I don't have a workaround for that in the meantime. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

5 days CTRL/ALT/DEL
rmarkiewicz

Hello

On the toolbar in the session view, bring up the extended keyboard (the second "keyboard" icon from the left). Switch to the second page of buttons with the "1/2" toggle in the bottom-left of the extended keyboard. There is a button on that screen that represents the Ctrl/Alt/Delete sequence on the remote machine.

I've attached a screenshot highlighting the specific buttons in case that's not clear.

Let me know if you have further questions or feedback!

Kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

5 days CTRL/ALT/DEL
rmarkiewicz

Hi Martin

Thanks a lot for the notice. You can check this post for more information. The 2019.2.1 release will be available very soon and contains the fix for that.

I'll post back here once it's up.

Thanks again and kind regards

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

5 days Update 2019.2?
rmarkiewicz

Hi Alexander

Now it works like a charm

Good news! I'm glad that worked. We are looking at improving the nomenclature and UI around bookmarks to make things more clear.

Hopefully the version 19.x will be more stable for you. The mobile versions will be available soon, and I'll post back here to update the thread.

it often had killed itself overnight, without the PC having been rebooted or updated meanwhile

What is the remote machine, Windows or something else? Did you install Wayk Now using the .msi (installer)?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

5 days Wayk Now 2019.2.0 problem logging into remote PC
rmarkiewicz

Hi Kris

You beat me to it smile

The fix for that is currently in the pipeline; in the meantime you can use the directions in that other post

Thanks a lot,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days A new version of Wayk Now (227.2.0) is available
rmarkiewicz

Hello

Ok, thanks for confirming that.

So device B is a Windows machine running RDM? Does it have a Wayk license?

You said you tried another device (device "C") and it worked. What is device C - a desktop or mobile device? Is it running RDM or the Wayk Now client?

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days Error: "The connection could not be established because unattended access requires a license."
rmarkiewicz

Hello

This should be resolved in RDM 2019.2.15; you can check this post for more information.

Please let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue, or if you have further questions or feedback

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days Error: "The connection could not be established because unattended access requires a license."
rmarkiewicz

Hello

What is the client on Device A - is it Wayk Now, or Remote Desktop Manager? If it's RDM, can you confirm the version you're using (you can find it in Help > About).

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

rmarkiewicz

Hello

Regarding the update issue; we are aware of the problem. Wayk Now switched to using calendar-based versions to better align with the rest of Devolutions portfolio, however there exists an incompatibility with the Wayk update check and Devolutions release system. We are aiming to have that resolved today and an update made available. I'll post back here at that time.

In the meantime, I understand the issue can be annoying, so it is possible to disable the update check.

wayknow.exe config versionCheck false

Or, if you installed with the .msi, can can configure this for all users by launching an elevated command prompt and running:

wayk-now config --global versionCheck false

And of course, you can re-run the command with `true` to restore the version check.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days Problem with new version of Wayk
rmarkiewicz

Hi Alexander

the connection between PC A and the remote PC B was established ultra-fast

Good news!

smartphone was ok, but not ultra-fast

As you suggest, the mobile version is still at 3.3.x. The Android update will be pushed out imminently (likely today) with iOS to follow in the next day or two. Once the versions are the same, it will be easier to draw comparisons. Thanks for your patience on that.

Otherwise, I'm sorry the update hasn't been 100% smooth for you. When you edit the bookmark, which field are you editing?

The first field is the name of the bookmark that will appear in the UI.

The second field is the hostname, IP address or 6-digit Wayk ID of the remote machine

The third field is the "unique" GUID of the remote machine (which can be found in the "About" window)

You only need to provide *either* the second or the third field, and in the majority of cases, entering the 6-digit Wayk ID in the second field and leaving the third field blank is what you want.

I've attached a screenshot to show that, in case my description is not clear.

Let me know if that helps, if I've misunderstood the issue, or you have further questions or feedback.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days Wayk Now 2019.2.0 problem logging into remote PC
rmarkiewicz

Hello Martin

I'm sorry that some late changes in Wayk Now caused this regression in the RDM integration. This is already corrected and should follow in 2019.2.15.

Thanks and kind regards,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

6 days Wayk Now issue in 2019.2.14.0