Forum

Posts by sbonilla (sbonilla)

sbonilla
sbonilla

Glad to help

8 yrs Password Security Hole: SFTP Links
sbonilla
sbonilla

That sounds like a reasonable solution. I don't think that SFTP is going to work with explorer any time soon anyhow.

sbonilla
sbonilla

It is possible for an end user to see a SFTP password in plain text in the following scenario.

SFTP Session, application is "Default Configured".

RDM client settings, File > Options > Session Type, Default Application Settings for "ftp" is "Windows Explorer" (which is the default)

Open session.

Window with the following message pops up: There is no program associated with the requested action..."

The TITLE of this window has the username, password, and hostname of the session in the following syntax, in plain text:

sftp://<user>:<password>@<hostname>/

sbonilla
sbonilla

I noticed that the latest version of RDM supports hyper-v control. I use VirtualBox and would love to see simliar controls.

Currently, I use phpvirtualbox but its security is very limited. I'd like to be able to grant certain RDM users ability to perform tasks such as rebooting, or taking snapshots, of VMs in Virtualbox.

It is probably too large of an undertaking, but I imagine that it is possible. phpvirtualbox uses the vboxwebsrv that comes packaged with virtulabox, I imagine a plug-in or feature with RDM could do the same. Here is a link to the phpvirtualbox page:

http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/

8 yrs Virtualbox VM Management
sbonilla
sbonilla

thanks

8 yrs ArgumentException - Illegal characters in path.
sbonilla
sbonilla

David, I believe you were emailing my colleague about this.

The problem was is the user selected an incorrect path for FileZilla, when he tried to correct it, the error below appeared.

We corrected it by removing the Devolutions folder in his windows Local profile folder and recreated all the settings manually.

I'd still consider this a bug, the string should be able to be changed.

Thanks

sbonilla
sbonilla

Hello-

We're receiving the following error when trying to set the installation path of FileZilla, this is only occurring on one machine. This machine has a fairly recently installation of Windows 7 running.

Unexpected error, contact us at remotedesktopmanager.com

ArgumentException - Illegal characters in path.

at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.InstallationPathManager.CombinePath(String basePath, String checkFileName)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.InstallationPathManager.CheckFileNameIsValid(String basePath, InstallationPathInfo installationPathInfo, String customExecutableOverride)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Frames.FreInstallationPath.SetControlStates()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Frames.FreInstallationPath.LoadInstallationPathInControls(InstallationPathInfo installationPathInfoParam)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmOptions.LoadInstallationPathInControls(InstallationPathInfo installationPathInfo)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Forms.FrmOptions.tvInstallationPath_AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Controls.TreeViewMultiSelect.SelectNode(TreeNode tn, Boolean select, TreeViewAction tva)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Controls.TreeViewMultiSelect.ProcessNodeRange(TreeNode startNode, TreeNode endNode, MouseEventArgs e, Keys keys, TreeViewAction tva, Boolean allowStartEdit)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Controls.TreeViewMultiSelect.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Controls.TreeViewXP.WndProc(Message& message)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Please advise. Uninstalling and reinstalling RDM didn't help.

Thanks

sbonilla
sbonilla

it is done manually in the GUI

I've found this to be a nuisance and do not see a command line option either. It looks like the only way to launch putty with keepalives through RDM would be through a saved session.

9 yrs Putty option "Connection keepalives"
sbonilla
sbonilla

I ended up switching back to Windows, so never made any real progress. I got close, but never got it to work.

9 yrs Remote Desktop Manager with Wine (OS X)
sbonilla
sbonilla

which windows OS are you using?

Windows Server OS lets you run concurrent sessions, but residential OS only allows a single active session per machine.

There is a hack out there that will allow you to run concurrent sessions in XP just as you can, for example, with Windows Server 2003.

If you are trying to SHARE a session, where more than one person can see the same session/screen and you can work together- then RDP is not the tool for the job

9 yrs Shared server view?
sbonilla
sbonilla

ok, if I need to periodically export the data source and import it to the failover with RDM, it's still better than not having a failover

I'll do some tests and report back if desired

thanks for the info
<em>edited by sbonilla on 12/8/2010</em>

9 yrs site or global license
sbonilla
sbonilla

I'm happy to test it, but I'm concerned with the failover server having all the data that the first server has (and vice versa), including access logs.

I suppose the question is- do I need to upgrade my site license to a global license to do that?

sbonilla
sbonilla

Might be a silly question, but I have a site license. If I upgrade to a global license, will I be able to have more than one RDM server that my clients will connect to as a failover?

Will RDM handle the synching of the data in that case, or do I need to have SQL handle that part?

sbonilla
sbonilla

if you run quser on the same machine that the RDM client is running, then that user will need the rights to remotely affect sessions on the host

if it is somehow run on the host, then maybe not... so perhaps when the command to close the window in RDM is received, then RDM runs the quser command with an appropriate switch on the host side to initiate the logoff, then close the window

I'm speaking hypothetically, I have not tested this at all.

9 yrs Warn if another user is already connected
sbonilla
sbonilla

you might be able to do something with the "quser" command...

9 yrs Warn if another user is already connected
sbonilla
sbonilla

my pleasure

10 yrs SSH tunels
sbonilla
sbonilla

Does the "port forwarding" section in the session options not accomodate that?

I use it all the time.

^^^ this allows me to use localhost to hit the Oracle server on the same LAN as the server I can SSH into

If you want to make it more seamless with remote desktop, you can create your RDP session within RDM, then use the VPN tab, and use "Existing Session" for the type. Play with the delays, and it will open your SSH connection with your port forwards, then your RDP session.

10 yrs SSH tunels
sbonilla
sbonilla

thanks, that will be a big improvement for our access logs!

10 yrs Access logs: time zone and user
sbonilla
sbonilla

Actually I would like to take this a step further.

I'd like the end user to receive the warning message and then be given the option of whether or not this user still wants to open the session.

This way if someone opens a session, sees the warning message, and changes his/her mind... he/she can click no and not have it open- but still have an event in the logs.

10 yrs End users to enter reason for connecting.
sbonilla
sbonilla

I would like the option to choose whether or not the user is forced.

Some connections are less sensitive than others.

This kind of ties into a feature request that I made a while back about a notification message popping up when a session is opened. Ideally, I'd like to have the option that when a specific session is opened, a window pops up with a warning message that I define, and a field for the end user to enter a reply. This would give good flexibility.

For example, I could have my message simply read "Enter reason below:" to "WARNING! DO NOT USE THIS CONNECTION UNLESS APPROVED BY IT. Enter reason and IT approval ticket number below:", etc...
<em>edited by sbonilla on 5/6/2010</em>

sbonilla
sbonilla

I would like to have the option for the end user who is opening a session to be prompted to type in a reason for using that session, and have the reason stored in the logs.

sbonilla
sbonilla

I've never felt the need for documentation. As someone mentioned, if you are an IT person, you can figure it out pretty easily.

One thing I can think of off hand that I had to figure out was how to setup port forwarding with putty sessions, but I was quickly able to realize that everything passes through command line so I just looked at the PuTTY command line options and was on my way.

I've never even looked to see if there is documentation, really... but that's me.

10 yrs Everyone post a review for this app on CNET!
sbonilla
sbonilla

there is a "store password" button, do you see it? are you using the latest version of RDM?
<em>edited by sbonilla on 4/23/2010</em>

10 yrs Password storage
sbonilla
sbonilla

oh, nice, thanks!

10 yrs NX Client Support
sbonilla
sbonilla

I've registered on CNET specifically so I can give a positive review.

RDM has helped our company tremendously

10 yrs Everyone post a review for this app on CNET!
sbonilla
sbonilla

Thanks for the replies. I realize that I forgot to enable email notifications so I fell behind on this topic.

ivorycruncher, thanks for the advice! It looks like that would work fine on a terminal server. I'll test it out. Still, in the case of a standard machine running XP.. I have the issue that if a new user logs into it, I need to give the RDM key we have or remotely enter it through VNC or teamviewer, or something similar.

10 yrs Install for all users
sbonilla
sbonilla

My apologies if this has already been brought up, but when viewing logs, the time that is logged appears to be the time of the machine upon which RDM is running. This can be pretty confusing.

Also, the username that is logged is the username of the windows account on that machine. This is very helpful, but an improvement would be to show the RDM (sql) username.

Thanks-

10 yrs Access logs: time zone and user
sbonilla
sbonilla

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for a feature request, but I typically install RDM with a privileged account. I then log in under the restricter user's account and have to make a shortcut directly to RemoteDesktopManager.exe, since there is no start menu item--- also I have to enter the enterprise license key for each user of the machine.

I would like to have the option to install RDM, for example, on a terminal server under one account and have it the start menu for all users and not have to have every user enter the key.

Perhaps there is some sort of workaround or registry entry for the interim? I haven't looked into that myself yet.

10 yrs Install for all users
sbonilla
sbonilla

I've not looked into the feasibility of this, but I would like to request FreeNX client support.

http://www.nomachine.com/documents/getting-started.php
http://freenx.berlios.de/
http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

10 yrs NX Client Support
sbonilla
sbonilla

I was just typing a feature request to ask for this for FTP sessions when I searched and found this, it would be a GREAT feature for my users.
<em>edited by sbonilla on 4/8/2010</em>

10 yrs add "default" option to VNC/FTP/PUTTY