Forum

Posts by hazen (hazen)

hazen
hazen

perfect. works. thanks.

2 mths disable macro execution popup
hazen
hazen

how do I turn this popup off about 'executing macro' ?

2 mths disable macro execution popup
hazen
hazen

How do I turn off the toolbar in SSH sessions permanently?
I've right clicked it and said 'hide toolbar', but when I open new sessions it comes back. Is there something in the options somewhere to turn this off forever?

2 mths turn off SSH toolbar?
hazen
hazen

These 2 things seem to be tied together unnecessarily.
Please refer to ticket DEVO-1397 for more information.

If you want to use a keyboard shortcut to close the tab you are currently focused on, this doesn't work if your tree view focus doesn't exactly match the tab focus. This issue is exasperated if you do not have the 'auto focus tab on item select' option turned on.

My feature request is to decouple the focus of these 2 items such that they do not break a close tab keyboard shortcut.

7 mths Decouple tree view focus from entry tab focus
hazen
hazen

I think a better solution is to figure out what code was changed to introduce the bug in the first place, not make sure it doesn't happen again.

7 mths bug - closing chrome tab closes entire session
hazen
hazen

more troubleshooting.

The problem DOES occur in

the problem DOES NOT occur in

hazen
hazen

It happens on Chrome embedded.
We're running 14.1.0.

hazen
hazen

that's very strange considering the bug has been present in several releases and is extremely easy to replicate.
I uploaded the video to your URL.

hazen
hazen

I mean.. go to anything.
Go to cnn.com and ctrl+click any link to open whatever you click on in a new tab.

hazen
hazen

Open a chrome embedded session.
click something that opens a new tab within your embedded session.
you now have 2 chrome tabs open

close 1 of the 2 tabs (doesn't matter which)

the entire chrome embedded session closes

present in many previous releases, up to and including latest.

hazen
hazen

Stefane, this is perhaps one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum! Thank you for walking through everything. Here are my replies.

Let's go through things in order. I should point out from the get go that I am currently running RDM 14.1.0 (the latest as of 12/19). So any issues I talk about are present up to this release.

Issue 1, launch RDM in offline mode.
This was something I discovered was possible only after my original post. We can ignore this.

Issue 2, ability to trickle update the cache.
This is also something that I discovered was already available after my original post.
File -> Data Sources -> Settings (tab) -> "Auto Refresh"
Based on conversations with support we determined that this is the better way to auto update our cache since it is indeed a trickle and non-impactfull (non-freeze) updated to RDM. Hitting the File -> Refresh option destroys the local cache and rebuilds it. We were told this is why we see RDM freeze for a few seconds when using that method. We have set all our clients to do the auto refresh and have been very happy with the results.

Issue 3, trickle update reconciliation
issue related to number 2 and can be ignored. We consider issue 2 and 3 resolved.

Issue 4, ability to read/view properties of entries while in offline mode.
We are unfamiliar with what you mean by "read/write offline mode". We don't know how to get to this state. When having RDM start in offline mode we are not able to see properties of entries. However, with the trickle update of cache from issue 2 resolved, we no longer start RDM in offline mode. So we would consider issue 4 a moot point.

Issue 5, ability to go back into online mode when being in offline mode.
Your explanation doesn't make sense. We don't know how to get into the read-write offline mode that allows for local changes which then trickle/push updates back to SQL. Please explain more.

Issue 6, online mode refresh freeze.
Still an issue. When click 'refresh' we see RDM become unresponsive for several seconds. We wouldn't really call that 'very fast'. Looking at the my data source information is seems we are in read-only offline mode. I have no idea how to configure for a 'read-write' offline mode.

Issue 7, SQL database connections.
thank you for the explanation. I don't understand it, but it sounds good.

Issue 8, complete cache of RDM locally.

Let us know how to get into read-write offline mode to get the full cache of the database locally and I think we will be set. We would hope that being in that state would also make the RDM startup process faster as well.

8 mths reducing reliance on the database
hazen
hazen

If I have 9 different words that I want all highlighted a certain color why do I need to create 9 different entries for all 9 different words? Is there not a way to create an array or something that allows a single entry for multiple words/phrases that all share the same color highlighting options?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to 'copy' an entry. I have to create a new entry and re-set the color highlighting for each and every single word/phrase.

Also still looking for the ability to support regular expressions
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic29413-ssh-syntax-highlighting-support-regular-expressions.aspx

8 mths ssh highlighting (multiple keywords allowed)
hazen
hazen

Just checking in. Has any progress been made. There was a 'fix' posted in the release notes for version 14.0.11.0 that states "

• Fixed cache-only issue with ways to go offline on startup
was this to address any of the issues I've mentioned above? Could more details be provided about what this fix addresses?

hazen
hazen

Just checking in.

It seems issue 1 has been addressed based on the release notes for version 14.0.1.0. Can anyone confirm this fix addressed this specific issue?

Issue 2 is still present as of 14.0.9.0. The split screen boxes are still very tiny.

Issue 3 seems to have been addressed in some version as of 14.0.9.

Issue 4 is still present as of 14.0.9.0. If you close the left most session the right most session does not fill the whole screen.

Issues 5, 6, and 7 I am no longer experiencing.

8 mths host of issues with RDM 14
hazen
hazen

any progress on this?

8 mths SSH syntax highlighting: support regular expressions
hazen
hazen

File -> Options -> User Interface -> Tree View

uncheck "auto select item on tab focus"

8 mths Do Not change the focus on the Navigation pane on logout
hazen
hazen

So try as we might we just can't get the performance of RDM to a level that we would like.
We have even moved the enterprise database to a local SQL express instance here in our office. Even after doing that we still notice the following.

Our office is located in Arizona
Database located in New Jersey
-> average launch time = 13.65 seconds
-> average refresh time = 6.49 seconds

Database located in California
-> average launch time = 9.9 seconds
-> average refresh time = 4.23 seconds

Database located in Arizona
-> average launch time = 7.17 seconds
-> average refresh time = 2.35 seconds

I have a few threads in this forum speaking to the performance of RDM and ways to speed it up. We've determined that the database reliance is the single biggest contributing factor to slowness experiences within RDM. We'd like to find ways to reduce our reliance on the database constantly.
We would like to explore the following set of feature requests. To start, we already know RDM can be set to launch in offline/cached mode. So let's start there.

1) launch RDM in offline/cache mode

2) ability to trickle update the cache from the database on a schedule (once per hour or something configurable)

3) when reconciling the trickle update do a quick refresh of the cache, but this time its done locally so it won't freeze RDM for a few seconds while it updates since the data is already local.

4) ability to read/see properties of entries when in offline mode. We notice that when going to the properties of an entry in offline mode we do not see any of the properties. We understand we can't edit things when in offline mode, but we should still at least see what the properties are. It seems as though RDM does not cache everything about the entries in offline mode. Only the folder structure and names/IP's of the entries.

5) ability to quickly go back into online mode when changing a property of an entry and then back to offline mode after the change has been confirmed. Rather than go to RDM options, switch to online mode, change the entries of the property, then go back to options and go back into offline mode. Perhaps the ability to 'go into online mode' when looking at properties of an entry if it detects you're in offline mode?

6) Even in online mode, when doing manual refreshes from the database we see RDM freeze for a number of seconds while this refresh occurs. (The average refresh numbers from above) Is there a way to not make RDM completely freeze/unusable while this refresh occurs?

7) Our database engineers have determined that RDM is rather inefficient in its usage of SQL database connections. Here is a quote from one of our database admin's about RDM's SQL usage. We would like to get addressed the inefficiencies of RDM's connections to SQL to increase performance.

I did notice that each RDM session appears to hold an open database connection for each target being accessed. For example, three sessions from Scott's RDM client will result in three separate database connections. Connections appear to remain open until the associated RDM session has ended. I would have expected to see one database connection per RDM client, rather than per session. Establishing and opening a new database connection can be a rather expensive process and can take some time to complete. Most applications get around this by maintaining an open connection pool from an application server. If every RDM client session requires a new database connection, this is likely contributing to the delay.

8) We would love the ability to have a complete and 100% cache of the RDM database on each client machine so we're always working with the fastest available storage (our local hard drive). Then only things that NEED to be synchronized to the database can be trickle updated back to SQL. Thinks like audit logs, if properties change it there can be a scheduled background refresh take place every few minutes, etc. We would be fine with this being something that isn't turned on by default. Our database is roughly 300mb on the SQL server. And we would be fine with a local 300mb cache of everything on each client station (though I understand other customers might not want that but since it's not turned on by default they wouldn't be affected)
If this last feature request could be implemented, it would negate the need for features 4 through 7.

hazen
hazen

I definitely want to move our SQL database closer, but I don't understand why it would take 18 seconds to load the connections when the database is only about 80-100ms away 'network wise'.
But we will circle back once we move the datastore to a datacenter that is closer to our office.

8 mths host of issues with RDM 14
hazen
hazen

Any updates on any of these issues?
The slowness of opening RDM and trying to do basic administration like editing properties of entries, etc seems entirely related to our SQL datastore and the latency involved.
We are working to move the database to a closer geographical datacenter.

Other than that, still hoping that the other items I've brought up in this thread are being worked on.

9 mths host of issues with RDM 14
hazen
hazen

hazen
hazen

It's not just during the startup. Yes, startup is incredibly slow. But interacting with RDM when needing to make database calls like 'refreshing' the datastore, rightclicking and going to the properties of an entry, etc, are all things that are also slow and takes 2-5 seconds.

hazen
hazen

This is the latest from our database team about RDM slowness and us having narrowed it down to the SQL datastore.

I did notice that each RDM session appears to hold an open database connection for each target being accessed. For example, three sessions from Scott's RDM client will result in three separate database connections. Connections appear to remain open until the associated RDM session has ended. I would have expected to see one database connection per RDM client, rather than per session. Establishing and opening a new database connection can be a rather expensive process and can take some time to complete. Most applications get around this by maintaining an open connection pool from an application server. If every RDM client session requires a new database connection, this is likely contributing to the delay.

hazen
hazen

Also, as another test. Here is a profiler set to level 127 with RDM already opened on a blank XML and me actually 'switching' to my SQL datasource once RDM is already open.

hazen
hazen

profilers attached. I can't set the profiler to 0 via command line so it defaulted to level 1

either way, they are attached.

@David, I will say this. It definitely is the SQL datasource. Loading a blank xml data source RDM opens and is ready to use in about 2-3 seconds.
So if it is indeed the SQL datasource, what do we need to do about it?

hazen
hazen

splash screen is already disabled.
ran the optimizer. several errors. see attached.
after running, RDM seems marginally faster loading, but maybe by only 1 or 2 seconds. Still very slow.

I'm also not sure how I'm going to run the profiler since you need to have RDM already open to run it. How am I going to troubleshoot slow startup with the profiler?

hazen
hazen

also, something else you can see from some of the videos is how long RDM takes to open! Over 14 seconds in some cases. It is installed on an NVMe SSD with win10 latest patches.
On a GigE connection to the SQL database with less than 40ms latency to the database. 14+ seconds!!!

hazen
hazen

So your internal screen capture thing doesn't capture split screen and other items. It also breaks the focus of the application so I had to use my cell phone. Sorry for the large video sizes. But I have uploaded all the issues. The file names correspond to the issue that the video is addressing.

As far as issues 1 and 3, I have narrowed those down the fact that I do not display the 'dashboard' tab in my layout. If I have the dashboard as an option then I don't encounter issues 1 and 3. But if I change my layout to not include the dashboard issues 1 and 3 happen every single time.

For issue 5
original thread : https://forum.devolutions.net/topic30553-chrome-and-firefox-slowness-embedded-mode-after-installing-windows--.aspx

hazen
hazen

Thanks Jeff. I'd also like to mention that my issues in no way imply that I don't love RDM. It's amazing and a game changer for me and my team in terms of productivity. These are all minor (through sometimes quite annoying) little issues/bugs. Nothing show stopping.

hazen
hazen

Many of these have been present for quite some time.

(1) double click issue when opening the tree.
I've brought this up before. There is a problem with double clicking entries when expanding the tree that double clicks are not always captured. This is especially easy to spot when first opening RDM and expanding the tree during first use. The first double click of an entry almost always results in nothing happening and you having to double click the entry again.

(2) split screen back to easier to see, but still very small
The issue of the split screen going from black folders back to the RDM version of this implementation is fixed. However it is still very tiny and not user friendly. For very large resolution monitors you have to drag a title bar window quite a ways in order to squeeze it into the tiny little window boxes.

(3) when closing a tab in split screen it doesn't return to the most recent connection, you have to click on the tab
This is something new I've noticed. Have 2 tabs open (so far only tested with SSH), and then open a 3rd tab. It will default open on the left side of the split screen. Then close that 3rd tab. You will notice the session on the left side split screen is just blank. In order to get back to that connection you have to go click on the tab for that entry.

(4) when closing the right most split screen area, the left side re-fills, but the same doesn't happen if you close all the left side screens
So again, issue with split screen. Open 2 entries and have them side by side. Close the right side entry and you will notice the left entry re-fills the whole screen. However if you do this same thing but close the left side entry, the right side stays split screen rather than fill the screen.

(5) chrome logo spinning to indicate web activity is gone. can't tell if it's actually doing anything.
Discussed in a previous thread. But still a problem in 14.0.2.

(6) opening new chrome tabs gives the 'loading webpage' progress bar every single time
when opening tabs (thankfully which has been fixed now) in chrome embedded you are given the 'loading webpage' status bar in the middle of the screen for several seconds when opening any new tab. This delays productivity quite a bit. It almost seems like embedded chrome is not worth the hassle within RDM. It has seen problem after problem, bug after bug for several revisions. Embedded IE isn't any better either.

(7) Issues with closing RDM. I've noticed that sometimes (not all the time) when I am trying to close RDM to finish my day I click the 'close' button in the top right of the window and RDM doesn't actually close. It will minimize just fine, but can't close. You click it and click it and nothing happens. It seems if you have tabs still open RDM won't close. So once I close all my sessions and make sure all the tabs are closed and try and click the 'close' button again, RDM closes no problem.

hazen
hazen

Does this also address the 'chrome logo' spinning during activity?

9 mths Chrome and Firefox slowness embedded mode after installing Windows 10 1809