Forum

Posts by jelle (jelle)

jelle
jelle

Hello again √Črica. It was a conceptual error from me: I connected RDM directly to the SQL server and not to the DPS!

A million thanks to Alexandre who spotted that!

11 mths Trouble with Active Directory Integration
jelle
jelle

Alrighty, I'm online.

jelle
jelle

Hello √Črica and thank you. I'm available until 18:00 CET (which is 13:00 EST). If not otherwise possible, I can login from home after 21:00 CET (16:00 EST).

jelle
jelle

Hello. Sorry for my late reply, but I was on-site with a customer.

I created a new SQL instance and made a new DB. This time I used NetBios name instead of UPN (though I still don't understand why the behaviour would be different). The Vault website and Chrome plugin work fine now, but Remote Desktop Manager says user ACME\Bla cannot logon.

In principle I need to take a decision today (CET) on buying the product and I would really like to buy it, but I can't demo it to the people whose approval I need.

jelle
jelle

Hi. I'm testing the Vault until tomorrow before deciding to buy the product. I run into some trouble.

I copied the data from my RDM DB to DPS and defined roles. So far so good, but I have an issue with the user management. If I connect myself through the Password Server or RDM, it creates me as DOMAIN\username. When I try to use the DPS website or import from AD, it creates the user as username@DOMAIN (even though I logon to the website as DOMAIN\username). Somehow it does not see that those users are the same. Result: AD users cannot logon in RDM (... even though the error does show it couldn't login with DOMAIN\username) and users exist twice, once in every format. Which is a problem for the private vault. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

On a side note, the server is a single instance MSSQL Express with one DB for RDM and another DB for DPS.

jelle
jelle

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
It's encrypted in the raw data. You should try to use the PowerShell SDK instead. I don't think it's a good idea or even easy to access the database directly.

https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?tools_consoles_powershell.htm

Regards

Merci David. I wrote a PoSh script that does exactly what I want. Here's the relevant part:

$arrCredential = @()  
$arrSession = @(get-rdmsession | where-object {$_.ConnectionType -eq 'credential'})
foreach ($objSession in $arrSession){
$objCredential = new-object -typename psobject
$objCredential | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name Group -value $objSession.Group
$objCredential | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name Name -value $objSession.Name
$objCredential | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name Domain -value $objSession.HostDomain
$objCredential | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name Username -value $($objSession | get-rdmsessionusername)
$objCredential | add-member -membertype noteproperty -name Password -value $($objSession | get-rdmsessionpassword -asplaintext)
$arrCredential += $objCredential
}
$arrCredential

Even though it's a different product: we are considering to buy Devolutions Password Server. The DB looks the same, but does it also have Powershell support so I can do the same? It's an important requirement for us to be able to export the data.

12 mths RDM Database: where are the credentials stored?
jelle
jelle

Hi. I need to compare credentials between different systems and an Oracle DB. I've been looking for a bit where these are hidden in the (in our case) MSSQL Express DB used by RDM. I can find pretty much all data in there but not credentials. They must be encoded in there or it wouldn't be possible to see them plain-text inside the app. The only thing I find is a dbo.Credential but that only has an ID column and seems empty. Now, I'm a sysadmin and not a real DBA, so I might be missing something here.

Devolutions Password Server uses the same DB structure I saw so I guess an answer to this question would be valid for the other product too.

12 mths RDM Database: where are the credentials stored?
jelle
jelle

Jeff Dagenais wrote:

Hello,

It's possible to use the boolean filter in RDM, like mentioned here
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/view_searchfilter.htm

Could you give it a try?

Best regards,

Hi. I wasn't aware of this. Works like a charm. I think && should be default behaviour personally, but I'm happy with this solution for myself, thanks a lot.

2 yrs Slightly different approach to the search function
jelle
jelle

Hello dev team,

I manage about 1500 devices through RDM, so the search is very important for me. The thing that bothers me is that when looking for e.g. 'DC Paris' I only get machines with specifically the string 'DC Paris' in one of the DB fields. More interesting it would be to get a list of all machines that both have a tag or description with DC and one with Paris. Right now I search for DCs only or Paris only, but in both cases I have to look for my stuff in a big list with irrelevant hits.

So basically, I'd like the space in the search to be interpreted not literally but as a delimiter between search terms. For literal interpretation quotes could be used, like in most search engines.

Thank you for considering.

2 yrs Slightly different approach to the search function