Forum

Posts by andrew08 (andrew08)

andrew08
andrew08

A-ha! It was the token valid setting which got set to 1 somehow. Bumped that back out to 1440 and I think we're good.

Thanks!

Andrew

7 mths RDM requiring authentication each time a user interacts with an item
andrew08
andrew08

I've been getting reports from our team that when using RDM with the password server backend that they're being asked to authenticate each time they click to open or connect to any item, rather than just once when first logging in. I've been able to reproduce the behavior, though I can't pin down exactly when it started. Judging by the log entries detailed below it seems like it started early this month, so likely since one of the most recent updates. The only clue I've been able to turn up comes from the password server logs. Each time someone accesses an item in RDM I see two warning messages in the logs:

The first is titled "GetAllConnectionStates" and the message is "SessionRequired"
The second is titled "Unable to update logHistory" and the message is "Invalid Data"

I surmise that it's either unable to save session data to the database or unable to access the saved session data and is forcing them to create a new session each time they try to access anything from within RDM.

Any clues on how to fix?

Thanks,

Andrew

7 mths RDM requiring authentication each time a user interacts with an item
andrew08
andrew08

Awesome, thanks!

2 yrs Quick question about Web Protocol Handlers
andrew08
andrew08

I've started playing with the Web Protocol Handlers to see how we might use them in integrating RDM into other monitoring or documentation systems we have in place. As a start, I'd like to be able to link straight into a session, with the focus on the Documentation tab of that session, without actually opening the session.

I started with the automatically generated URL's, such as:

rdm://open?DataSource=457FE0D1-6774-457A-9FB4-EC1B86BA0656&Session=8a179c05-b01d-4ee2-a6f9-51ee5bd56ce2

That works, but opens the session. Next, I edited to do:

rdm://action?DataSource=457FE0D1-6774-457A-9FB4-EC1B86BA0656&Session=8a179c05-b01d-4ee2-a6f9-51ee5bd56ce2&Tabpage=Documentation

That launches RDM, but doesn't bring up the relevant session or focus on the Documentation tab. I'm thinking there must be other action words to use beyond open? or action? to do what I'm trying to do, but I'm not seeing it in the documentation for Web Protocol Handlers.

Is this something I can do?

Thanks,

Andrew

2 yrs Quick question about Web Protocol Handlers
andrew08
andrew08

Not entirely sure if maybe this is already possible, but if so I've not been able to figure it out. We have numerous situations where each team member has individual credentials for devices we use RDM to access. Currently we handle that by prompting for credentials, but that adds a step and requires that the team member know which of their personal credentials applies for whatever item they're trying to access. It works, but it's a little clumsy.

It would be awesome if there were a way to create "placeholder" credentials applied to those devices that individuals could then map their personal credentials to without having to prompt to select credentials each time.

The way I'd envision it working would be you'd create a special type of credential that doesn't hold any username/password info but can be configured as the credential for entries in RDM. Those "placeholder" credentials would be stored somewhere where individuals could map or associate their personal credentials so that when connecting to those entries it always automatically uses their individual credentials. Ideally this would allow each user to quickly add their individual Active Directory, TACACS, web login, etc. credentials and tie them to the generic placeholder credentials, allowing RDM to use their individual credentials automatically anywhere the placeholder credentials are configured.

2 yrs "Placeholder" credentials?
andrew08
andrew08

I have a default credential configured in a folder, with everything inside the folder set to inherit the credential. Works great! However I'd like to create shortcuts of some of the entries in that folder to elsewhere in our RDM hierarchy for ease-of-use for some users who don't frequent the folder these entries are in. (These happen to be SSH Shell entries and the credentials are SSH private key.) When trying to connect to the remote servers using the shortcut, it appears it's inheriting the credentials from the folder containing the shortcut, not the folder containing the original entry.

Is that by design or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Andrew

3 yrs Credential inheritance with shortcuts