Posts by alan01 (alan01)

alan01
alan01

Awesome, thanks

3 yrs Tab Group Visibility
alan01
alan01

Hi

I am using tab groups with some of my servers which means I get a list of tab group names showing above the session tabs (and below the ribbon). The tab group area appears and disappears depending on whether any of the sessions I have open are members of tab groups or not. This means that the first time I open an RDP session belonging to a tab group the RDP session starts and then the tab group area appears so the RDP workspace shrinks a bit and I end up with scrollbars to my session (even if I select the smart reconnect option). Is there an option to have the Tab Groups area always showing to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

Alan

3 yrs Tab Group Visibility
alan01
alan01

Hi David

Yep that is what I've been using it is just a bit convoluted to get to whereas a double-click or a button (on the tab itself or top left in the quick access area) would be simpler and provide visual feedback of which tabs are pinned

Cheers

Alan

3 yrs Keep Tab on Disconnect
alan01
alan01

Hi David

It is the second picture here "https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?tipsandtricks_keeptabsopened.htm" i.e. the one with the close/connect/connect when available options. There seems to be a lot of space on the right for sticking in a Ping just as a guide to when the system starts responding.

One issue I have with the Connect When Available option is that I've never managed to get it to work. I have tried both the Ping and Port Scan options for detecting when the server is up but RDM always tries to connect to early, fails and then doesn't try again. It would be much nicer if it just kept retrying (forever if necessary smile) until it made a successful connection.

A button on the tab would be great. I tend to keep the ribbon hidden so as to get more screen space for the sessions themselves and the right-click menu is a bit long. A double-click or button would make it much easier to pin a tab (or even being able to add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar at the very top left of the screen (where we see the New/Properties/Refresh/Filter/Quick-Connect options)

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hi

Would it be possible to allow the "Keep Tab on Disconnect" option to be set by double-clicking on a tab?

Also, would it be possible to (optionally) add the output of a continuous ping to the dialog that currently shows "Waiting for host..."?

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hi

I use quite a few different tab colours and it's not always easy to see which is currently active. I'd like to be able to set a custom colour for the active tab so that I can pick one that stands out (e.g. a bright yellow tab with black writing) and I'm not using for anything else.

Thanks

Alan

3 yrs Custom Active Tab Colour
alan01
alan01

Thanks Erica. Yeah I'd seen that...weirdly it seems to opposite of what I see. Thanks for looking smile

Alan

3 yrs Tab Completion for PowerShell Remote
alan01
alan01

Hi All

Not directly RDM related but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get tab completion working in the Remote PowerShell Console of RDM (which I assume is using Enter-PSSession)?

I can use the normal PS module in RDM to run an embedded script like the following

$ps = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://server.fqdn/PowerShell
Import-PSSession $ps

That uses Import-PSSession and loads all of the Exchange commands into my local session and enabled tab completion for them.

If I instead use the Remote PowerShell Console in RDM and specify http://server.fqdn/PowerShell as the Uri and Microsoft.Exchange as the Configuration I end up at a remote session that I assume has been created by calling Enter-PSSession. Here tab completion doesn't work. That is also true if I just launch a standard PowerShell session and run

Enter-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri http://server.fqdn/PowerShell

so it isn't an RDM specific question, just a PowerShell one.

As I said above, the Import-Session version above gets me what I need so I have a working solution, just wanted to know if this is also possible for Enter-PSSession?

Thanks

Alan

3 yrs Tab Completion for PowerShell Remote
alan01
alan01

lol no problem (and nice graphic smile)

3 yrs Connecting to Office 365 Powershell
alan01
alan01

Hi Reinout

Thanks for the response! I can confirm that including the variable directly in the embedded script does work for me though I have to surround it with single quotes to avoid issues with special characters in passwords (and possibly the issue you suggest as well).

So I use

$User = '$USERNAME$'
$PWord = ConvertTo-SecureString -String '$PASSWORD$' -AsPlainText -Force

Cheers

Alan

alan01
alan01

Useful script, thanks Reinout.

A quick question to you and other script users but I see a bunch of threads where people are doing a similar thing i.e. passing variables in as arguments and then referencing them as $args[]. Is the script external or just a normal embedded script in RDM? If the later then what is the advantage of this over just referencing the variable directly in the script? For example in my script I use

$User = '$USERNAME$'

rather than

$User = $args[0]

and don't pass anything in in the arguments field.

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Ah that would be brilliant, thanks.

3 yrs Server Homepage
alan01
alan01

Would it be possible to add an option to get the server home page to open in an External windows rather than an Embedded one (ideally just for some servers not all)? I find that the HP system management homepage throws spurious cookie errors if run embedded and I see there are a few other posts from users with the same problem. The page works fine if opened externally.
Thanks
Alan

3 yrs Open Home Page Externally
alan01
alan01

OK will do, thanks

3 yrs Server Homepage
alan01
alan01

Great, thanks. I can't believe the number of options you guys have put in RDM, awesome stuff smile

3 yrs Server Homepage
alan01
alan01

How is the browser chosen when opening the "Server - Home Page" by clicking on the link in Remote Tools on the Dashboard for an RDP session? Is it just whatever the OS is set to use as a default? Also is there a way to make it open externally rather than embedded?

Thanks

Alan

3 yrs Server Homepage
alan01
alan01

Mark Beausejour wrote:

I see that you use a template for the Synchronizer. Are the settings in the Template similar to what you have shown us?

The template is a Shared Template and the only thing it is doing is setting the credentials on the general page to Credential Repository and specifying a set of credentials I have defined in the repository.

Mark Beausejour wrote:

Coming back to MMC...The solutions offered in the article should help.

I'm not seeing a solution in the article to allow both credentials and elevation? The Windows RunAs tool allows me to specify creds but not elevation. I have managed to come up with a PowerShell solution though and another one using PSEXEC.

Cheers

Alan

3 yrs Tabs, Synchronizers and MMC
alan01
alan01

Mark Beausejour wrote:

Hello,

We can continue to troubleshoot this via email.

Please send the details to support@devolutions.net .

Best regards,

Let me know if you need more details and I will email them to you smile

alan01
alan01

I've attached a png containing most of the settings. Nothing has been entered on the Login tab. The Filters tab is set to Server. Search is Subtree/root. Advanced no silent mode and Action set to None.

If I run the preview it shows the missing servers. If I manually open the Synchronizer it correctly adds the missing servers. It is just the auto synch that isn't working. It even works if I set a Scheduled Task in windows to run the commandline as specified in the Advanced section.

Cheers

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hi

Is there somewhere I can send the screenshots of my settings for the synchronizer?

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hi and thanks for the reply

It is just the continuous ping window I want to hide the tab for. If I hide it for my own sessions then they also don't show a tab when executed. Is there a way to apply the setting you show to just the continuous ping tool?

CTRL+F5 does force a sync inasmuch as the time in the Remote Sessions window updates but new sessions still aren't added to the console tree.

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hello again

I have just been playing with the MMC link you provided and seem to have hit a brick wall. I run RDM with a normal domain user account and I need to launch MMC with different account credentials (those for my admin account). Unfortunately the credential set for the tools in a session (step 7 in the guide you linked to) don't seem to be honored when the "Run as Administrator" option is selected in the Execution Mode tab (required for MMC). The "Run as Administrator" option and "Run as different user" option seem to be mutually exclusive so any time I select to run the MMC elevated (as required) I can't then specify credentials (it just uses the credentials RDM is run under). What I need is to be able to select both options.

I can partially work around this using the PowerShell Tool instead of the CMD one. When using PS I can leave the "Run as Administrator" option blank and select "Run as different user" option instead, this gets PowerShell running with the correct credentials. I can then add "-verb RunAs" argument to the PowerSehll command that I run to force it to run elevated (whithout having to select the checkbox to do so). This is effectively allowing me to both RunAs a different user and run elevated. The only downside to this approach is that I can't open the DHCP mmc and specify the DHCp server to connect to so I would need to save a preconfigured MMC console to my local disk (one specifying the DHCP server to use) and open that rather than the default dhcpmgmt.msc which ties the solution to the machine I have done that on.

Is there any way to get the CMD tool to allow me to run both elevated and using credentials specific in the credential repository? Alternatively is there a way to save a custom msc file within the RDM database (so it is available wherever I run RDM) and then call that as the file for mmc.exe to open? [edit: I don't have the Store in Database option with the DB type I am using so this won't work]

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hello

Yes I am having the same issue with the 32 bit version.

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

1) Thanks smile

2)

I have the "Enable the execution of synchronizers" check box ticked.
I have 3 ActiveDirectory Synchronizers and 3 HyperV synchronizers each one with the "Automatic Sync" checkbox ticked
I have the "Execute automatic synchronize every" option set to 60 minutes.

The "Last Synchronization" column does update with the new time every hour but new items aren't added to the list of sessions

3) Thanks I'll take a look at the article and see if it helps. Primary ones would be ADU&C, DNS, Certificates but the more the better really. RDM just seems a great place for consolidating toolsets. I can have a folder called DCs with RDp Sessions for each DC, powershell sessions for the same, and it would be nice to also be able to add in ADU&C etc and end up with one place I can go to quickly manage all of my domains. Same would apply for SQL and other services.

Thanks for the response

Alan

alan01
alan01

12.6.8.0 64bit

alan01
alan01

Hi

Really impressed with the product so far but I have a few (hopefully simple) questions from a new user...

1) I have used the option section to set continuous pings to run undocked but when I do a tab still shows up in the main RDM interface, is there a way to prevent this?

2) I have set up a bunch of Active Directory and Hyper-V Synchronizers to Synchronize Automatically but the list of sessions doesn't seem to get updated. If I look in the Background Services log I can see that they appear to be running as scheduled (every hour). If I manually open aone of the Synchronizers then the list of sessions does update. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

3) Is it possible to open an MMC console as a session? It would be nice to be able to have some of my tools (e.g. Active Directory Users and Computers, DNS Management etc) open up as an embedded session.

Thanks a lot

Alan

alan01
alan01

OK thanks all

3 yrs Session Credentials for AD Synchronizer
alan01
alan01

Ah that looks like it might work, thanks Min smile

Is there any reason why we can choose local templates for the Hyper-V Sync but not for the AD one?

Cheers

Alan

alan01
alan01

Hi Min

Yes I want to specify the credentials that I have configured in my Credential Repository and don't want to stick a template using these into the shared area (it would be no use to anyone else).

Thanks

Alan

alan01
alan01

Thanks Min. I have created a template as a local template as it contains my specific credential information (so don't want it to be shared). Unfortunately when I go to the templates setting on the Synchronizer I can only see Shared Templates? This is different to the Hyper-V synchronizer where I can choose local or shared using a tab at the top of the display. Am I doing something wrong. I created a template for Microsoft RDP Session.

Thanks again

Alan