Forum

Posts by rich (rich)

rich
rich

Hi Hubert,

That's done the trick, changing the allow offline from True to false, saving and then back to true again has allowed the credentials to be viewed whilst offline.

Phew, disaster averted!

Thanks for your quick help regarding this.

Regards
Rich

2 yrs RDM (Beta) in Offline Mode no longer provides access to credentials
rich
rich

upset Is there anything we can do for the moment, as it is restricting many of our staff using RDM currently especially here in the UK currently where poor weather conditions are forcing some to work from home, and so working offline is essential?

rich
rich

Hi,

We are running the beta version of RDM (currently running version 13.0.15.0) with DLVS version 4.7.0, and have noticed that when working with RDM offline none of the credentials we have stored are accessible.

Also, when opening an entry that links to a credential the following error message appears,
"Can't do the selected action on a session linked to the credential entry "{entry name}" while in offline mode"

We have used previously version of RDM in offline mode fine, and this is a core requirement for us, to be able to use RDM offline to access credentials etc..

I suspect it is just a new option in this newer Beta RDM version, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi Erica,

Thank you for getting back to me, and glad to hear you have been able to reproduce this error on your side (means nothing is wrong with our server/client installs).

My only concern with your suggested fix, means rolling out a beta version of RDM which by definition is a test build of an application and is still under development, and thus not suited for fully production roll-out. I am also hesitant to update our DVLS server version unless there is a specific fix included as part of that release.

Is there any other way around this issue, without us rolling out beta software to our users machines?

I find it hard to imagine there no other RDM/DVLS users for other companies that have not come across this issue before, especially given how long version 13.0.6.0 has been out for (or are we a rare case in using email 2FA)?

Thanks
Rich

2 yrs Multiple 2FA Prompts after upgrade from 13.0.2.0 to 13.0.6.0
rich
rich

Hi,

We are using DVLS version 4.7.0.0.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Just to add, this seems to only affect machines running RDM version 13.0.6.0.

rich
rich

Hi,

So we made the change to the token value, setting this to 60mins from 1.

However following this change, when a user tries to authenticate with RDM from their machine (and they have email 2FA enabled), once they enter their domain authentication details, RDM goes through the same issue of prompting the same screen/window repeatedly until eventually hanging RDM.

The only way around this is to disable the email 2FA setup for that user.

Interestingly users who have 2FA setup using Google Authenticator are able to log into RDM fine still, suggesting this is now more of an issue with the email 2FA setup?

Please can we follow this up ASAP?

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi Erica,

I have checked and the value set for the Token Valid Time (minutes) is 1.

Shall we increase this, as per the screenshot in that linked article (set to 1440), and if so what effect does this have?

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi,

We have a strange issue on a handful of our users machines running RDM who also have 2FA (email) enabled. Our DVLS instance is running version 4.7 and the affected users machines were running RDM version 13.0.2.0 before updating. Before the update, when logging into RDM the user would be prompted to enter their user details (domain authenticated) and then be prompted to enter their 2FA code which would be received via email.

However, when we update these machines to RDM 13.0.6.0, the initial authentication prompt appears fine, but when the 2FA prompt appears this appears multiple times stacking on top of each 2FA window repeatedly until RDM hangs & crashes.

We have seen this issue on 3 separate Windows 10 machines now, affecting 3 different users. One of the machines was recently built and so had a fresh copy of Windows 10 installed (Creators Fall, 1709), with RDM 13.0.2.0 before updating this to 13.0.6.0, and was still affected by this issue.

We have so far tried fully removing RDM and deleting all the Devolution named local user profile folders (C:\Users\Username\Appdata, other Roaming and Local folders) but this hasn't made a difference.

The only way we have been able to allow the users to continue using RDM is to either roll back our installs to RDM 13.0.2.0 or disable 2FA for them.

Any assistance on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rich

rich
rich

Afternoon,

I just wanted to update with regards to this issue.

We have recently now upgraded RDM on one of our machines to version 13.0.2 (DVLS server updated to 4.7), but we are still seeing issues with RDM unlocking when this is offline.

When RDM is online, the unlock mechanism appears to work fine, with the system tray icon being clicked once caused the unlock prompt box to appear.

However when RDM is put into Offline mode, when the application locks the system tray icon is still visible. But when this is clicked we don't see the logon prompt box and so RDM cannot be unlocked and we still have to go into Task Manager and force end the RDM process. One thing I have noticed when going through this process is that when the system tray icon is clicked, although the logon box prompt fails to appear, I can see an outline of a window appear on the desktop. This can't be interacted with but clicking the system tray is obliviously trying to do something.

As always, happy to provide more information and can provide remote access to my machine to demonstrate the issue first hand.

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs Issue unlock RDM when offline
rich
rich

Morning,

I have checked this morning and still not seeing our package installation being created yet. Is there any update on this please? We are hoping to roll out RDM installs onsite using the new RDM version today so ideally need this new installation package as soon as possible?

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs Possible issue with installer package creation
rich
rich

Hi,

We are trying to make use of the installer package creation tool within RDM.

I have made the request for a new package installer to be created, but over an hour has now passed and this still doesn't appear to have been generated. Is it possible to check the 'back-end' to ensure this is processing the package creation requests ok please?

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs Possible issue with installer package creation
rich
rich

Hi Erica,

Thanks, I look forward to your message.

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs 2FA Reset on Users following DVLS Server Update to 4.6.1
rich
rich

Hi Erica,

Thank you for the details.

Yes, having a check or some additional details to state this would be helpful in the future.

Also, is there a way of re-instating the 2FA for all of our users or do we need to have these all setup again from scratch?

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi,

The update was done from RDM version 12.6.2.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi,

We carried out an update to DVLS Server this evening, from version 4.6.0 to 4.6.1, and we have now found that the 2FA setup on all our RDM users has been blanked/cleared. DVLS and RDM still show 2FA setup on the users, but when looking at the configuration set on the users, it states none.

I have been able to set this back up again manually ok but I would rather not have to re-setup all our users with 2FA again if this can be avoided?

Also, reading the change log notes there is no details regarding needing to have 2FA reset on all users, so I can only assume this is a bug?

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delay in contacting you back regarding this.

To answer the queries you raised,
1) We have 'No Application Password' set under Application Security (Local)
2) Offline Security section is set to Default Security, no additional password entered/used.
3) Correct, we do indeed use two monitors (when our laptops are docked), but this issue also happens when using our laptops remotely and so using the single laptop screen. When RDM is locked once being in Offline mode, we see the icon for RDM in the system tray ok, and we can hover the mouse cursor over this and it does show 'Remote Desktop Manager' tool tip. However any other interaction with this icon fails to work. If we single left click, single right click, double left click etc nothing happens. As far as alt-tabbing, there is no RDM logon prompt shown. The only tale-tale sign of RDM is an odd shadow outline of a window that is left 'printed' on the main desktop background image.

I have attached 3 screenshots detailing the above point in more detail - hopefully this will help explain this issue further. Further to this, I am happy to setup a remote session.desktop share with yourselves to demonstrate this issue further as I appreciate this is hard to explain. Let me know if thi is something you would like to arrange/setup?

Aside to this, I do wonder if the lock/unlock mechanism that RDM implements could be looked at and possibly redesigned as the way this works is not the most intuitive method. Mainly this is due to the logon prompt window (when this works) acts as a hovering window and does not appear as a separate window as far as the taskbar goes (much like when an application like Outlook, Word, Chrome, IE etc... shows a separate window etc...). Having the logon prompt window act as floating/ghost like popup makes this prone to be hidden/lost behind other windows/applications that are open and so this in itself can cause confusion/issues. Also if the RDM system tray icon is set to be hidden in the system tray (so you need to click the white up arrow to reveal hidden icons), it is not always clear or easy to see how you unlock RDM as using the actually application shortcut doesn't produce the unlock logon prompt - only interacting with the RDM system tray icon produces this.

Let me know your thoughts on the above.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Morning Mark,

Thanks for the details regarding this. I have downloading and ran the beta version (12.9.3) on my machine, taking this off our network and running RDM offline. Unfortunately once RDM is locked (using the Application Lock option via the File Menu), the RDM icon goes down to the system tray again but when clicking on this, nothing else appears or pop-ups - so it doesn't look like this issue is fixed yet in that beta release sorry.

Let me know if you need any other testing done.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. I have just cleared my browser cache and the site loads fine now.

I did try and search the knowledge base and help articles for the error but was unable to find it myself, and looking at the article link you provided I would imagine its because the error in that troubleshooting article is part of an image and not written/text based so searching for that error did not find that article.

Could I suggest that the error text be added to that article along with the images of the error, as that may help others search and find this error in the future?

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs Issue loading web app following DVLS upgrade to 4.6.0
rich
rich

Hi,

We carried out an update to the DVLS database on Friday, upgrade this from version 4.5 to 4.6. This completed fine with no apparent problems or warnings and things have been working fine in RDM following the update.

However we have now found that when the web app is loaded we receive the following attached errors.

I have checked all services on the DVLS server and these are all started ok. I have also tested accessing this site from other machines on the network and they all receive the same set of errors. I have also ran all the in-built diagnostics for DVLS and confirmed all components are preset on the server still, and showing as green (tick).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rich

3 yrs Issue loading web app following DVLS upgrade to 4.6.0
rich
rich

Hi Mark,

That's great to hear, thanks for the update. I'll await to hear from you, when we can expect this fix to be released.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi Mark,

Just to update, I have been able to replicate this issue on another one of our Windows 10 machines, running RDM version 12.5.6. Again this is a Windows 10 machine, and has dual screen/two monitors.

Any help on this would be great, having to force close RDM when it locks when working offline is a real pain upset

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Morning Mark,

Yes both machines that are having the issue both have 2 screens/monitors - We have checked both screens when clicking the system tray icon to unlock RDM but still unable to see any prompts.

Both machines are also Windows 10 as well, version 1607.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Hi Mark,

Please see the attached configuration file.

To confirm our DataSource is indeed Devolutions server, version 4.5.

Please let me know if there is any other details you require?

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Afternoon,

We have seen issues when RDM is locked (either after being idle for a period of time, or when Windows is locked/put to sleep) and we try to unlock this by clicking the icon in the system tray, when working offline.

Normally, when we are working online with RDM, when this locks and we go to unlock it we get a prompt to enter our logon details again. However when working with RDM offline the logon prompt box fails to open at all. We can see the RDM icon still present in the system tray when offline and RDM is locked, but clicking this icon does nothing. We have checked there are no hidden prompts behind any other Windows (which can happen sometimes), but in this instance nothing appears.

Our only way to get access to RDM again is to force end the process via task manager (incidentally, Task Manager doesn't show RDM as being non-responsive, suggeting that the application is running ok and has not crashed or hung) but clearly this isnt ideal as we have to re-open all our sessions again etc...

We are running RDM version 12.6.8.0. I seem to recall that this worked fine in earlier versions of RDM, but I cant be sure nor can I recall what version I saw this working ok on.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

rich
rich

Afternoon,

Just hoping to get some clarification on an option under Security for RDM, Lock Application when Idle - does idle mean when the machine itself is idle for a period of time or when the application is open and left idle but the machine still being worked on? For example if we have RDM open but then the users works on an Excel spreadsheet outside of RDM, would RDM lock if this option is set to lock when idle after 15mins?

Thanks as always
Rich

3 yrs Lock Application when Idle
rich
rich

Hi David,

Thanks for quick response on this, I look forward to seeing these reports become available in future (soon) updates.

Thanks again
Rich

3 yrs Report showing what a Role has access to
rich
rich

Ah thanks for clarifying that Erica. The name of the link for that page on the DVLS site reads that it would show the general 2FA status for all users and so I was expecting to see whether 2FA was enabled for each user, what type of 2FA was used and then whether the user had requested the 2FA be reset.

Maybe we could add that in as a future feature request to add this additional information as it would be useful from an administrative/reviewing point of view?

Thanks again
Rich

3 yrs User 2FA Status Page in DVLS
rich
rich

Hi,

We are making full use of RDM now trialing both RDM and DVLS for several months and so far have been incredibly happy with what RDM has allowed us to do.

One thing we are struggling to find or achieve is reporting on what areas or what entries/sessions etc... a certain Role in RDM has access to. I can see there are similar reports available that relate to Security groups, however as Role based access has been advised by RDM as the best way of setting up permissions to access items in RDM, we are hoping there is a way to generate reports relating to roles and what a role can access etc...?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks again
Rich

3 yrs Report showing what a Role has access to
rich
rich

Hi,

We are moving forward in our use of RDM and DVLS currently, and are looking through the options available on the web site version of DVLS and have seen the '2FA Status' section of this page. However, even though all of our users have 2FA now setup to access RDM (using either Google Authenticator or Email Authentication), this 2FA Status page remains blank./empty and never seems ti populate.

Is there any additional configuration needed to get this setup and working, or is this intended to be used in another way etc?

Thanks
Rich

3 yrs User 2FA Status Page in DVLS