Forum

Posts by sheldonhull (sheldonhull)

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I've got an embedded powershell script that creates credential manager entries. I want to then create these same credentials/update/remove the entries in my Private entries that get cloud synced. All the examples point to doing this in the general repo.

Any suggestions on how I can have my script create credential entries in my private section of my RDM setup?
My current setup is pointing towards a SQL Instance, excepting the private vault, which is using devolutions backup.

8 mths Create Private Credential Entries from Script
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Btw, get-member is also good. This works even when custom formats are applied that don't output all properties to console when using format table/list or also format-list -force

9 mths User Management with Powershell
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Would like to use the lightweight version app as a demo and connect it to an existing enterprise rdm instance. Is this possible? I don't want to install password server when I have full enterprise rdm, but want to provide a demo for those not looking for full control of what a simple launcher integration into RDM might look like.

9 mths Password Launcher Connection to RDM
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Setup new machine and noticed it failed to open app due to .NET 4.7.2 not being installed yet.
Please update the dependencies of your chocolatey package to include the following so this is setup during install if required.
This should simplify new distribution setup.

<code>
<dependencies>
<dependency id="dotnet4.7.2"/>
</dependencies>
</code>

9 mths Chocolatey Package Dependencies To Add
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I had purged and rebuilt my repo, so please disregard this if you aren't getting others with the same error. I rebuilt my RDM instance and am working fine right now.

11 mths SQL Schema Error 14.0.9.0 x64
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I want to standarize an entry type that is for IAM credentials. Some basic meta data like:
AccountNumber
AccountAlias
IAM Creation Date
AccessKey
SecretKey

I can't figure out how to generate a standard with fields to fill in for team, to ensure consistency with required fields all being filled before can save. Is there some way to do this?

Additionally, would be really interesting to have a synchronizer built for parsing AWS cli credentials file (ini format) and turn those into devolutions entries.

12 mths Credential Type - IAM Credentials for AWS
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Example. Modifying this still didn't fix my root issue, so it might be other things are either broken in my db, or this update had some schema mapping issues with this that needs to be fixed. probably just going to reinstall db as I use scripts to setup most of it anyway.

12 mths SQL Schema Error 14.0.9.0 x64
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Invalid column name 'PrimaryToDoUsersId'

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid column name 'PrimaryTodoUsersID'.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseConnectionDataSource.ExecuteNonQuery(String sql, IDbTransaction dbTransaction, IDbDataParameter[] parameters, Int32 commandTimeout)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseTodoSubDataSource.DeleteTodos(Connection connection, IDbTransaction transaction)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.DatabaseConnectionDataSource.DeleteConnection(Connection connection)
ClientConnectionId:a627ac1e-47c5-4ff0-aebd-10c88f3e76cf
Error Number:207,State:1,Class:16

I backtracked through the code and suspect the trigger for "create trigger dbo.tr_ToDoUsers on dbo.ToDoUsers is suspect. I see it referrering to the inserted column join on PrimaryToDoUsersId in dbo.ToDo. Dbo.ToDo does not have a column called PrimaryToDoUsersId. I think this was intended to be Id.

Regarding design of this, I'll suggest you consider modifying this behavior if possible as I see triggers used to do a lot of these deletes, and my general recommendation would be to instead look at establishing foreign key with cascade deletes instead of using triggers to cleanup. You can then create stored procedures that call the delete action in correct order and avoid even needing the cascade delete for larger databases. Triggers are a real antipattern in many cases that can cause scalability issues at times. I normally avoid them unless setting up some various server administration type events. That's my 10 cents, feel free to ping me with more if you want. My focus is SQL Server performance, so when I dug in and saw a lot of triggers for the maintenance, I thought perhaps you could design it more based on stored procs and FK. Not sure if this is feasible due to your cross platform schema design of course.

12 mths SQL Schema Error 14.0.9.0 x64
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I can't figure out the variable names. Any basic example for this?

2 yrs AWS Ec2 Synchronizer
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Any possible update on templated values for this?
I ended up having to create a custom script to do this, and would prefer to have flexible variable templates for this instead.

For example. I have it pull down into subfolders like:

AWS
- Machines
- EnvironmentTag (default= 'default)
- Machine. Uses external IP when available, else defaults to private IP with connection marked as JUMP when only internal IP, simplifying connectivity.

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

USERNAME ran SETUP.REMOTEDESKTOPMANAGER.13.5.13.0.EXE, which tried to access C:\USERS\USERNAME\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\EXE3C71.TMP.BAT, violating the rule "Suspicious Double File Extension Execution", and was blocked. For information about how to respond to this event, see KB85494.

This alert thrown by McAfee makes some sense in that using a tmp.bat file name might have issues with various protection programs. Maybe you could remove the double extension, or consider using a single ps1 file to install?

Just general feedback so you know it caused issues for me that I wasn't aware of until I read through logs.

2 yrs Improvements to Install Process to Prevent False Positives with Security Software
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

It lost my original reply for some reason. Just came back to check and found no response posted. Here's the quick

I want to make sure I understand the request correctly
1. About the quick connect in console you want to be able to chose the name of the quick connect tab?
Yes. I want to choose the name given, as in Name Tag + Enviroment or whatever field I choose.
2. About the second part of this message. You want more control over the destination folder in RDM?
Once tags are parsed, I need to be able to parse out the tag names to use to organize, such as "Enviroment Tag: Dev/Prod/QA". Those each would have their own folders, as they might also have the name name tag too (it's not enforced as unique in AWS).
3. About the last message you want more control over how the synchronization. Would having variables representing the current possible value right now and a text field in which you can use multiple of them be a good solution? For example: "$Tags$ - $publicIP$" as entry name
Yes. You beat me to it. I think the more you provide in variables, the less long term maintenance this feature will take. For example, Name + Tag might work for me, but maybe someone else needs seperate virtual folders for a different tag. Having some variable parsing instead would give true flexibility on the selection used.

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

This was a pretty good first found. I found it had some issues though.
For instance, I have name tags in two separate regions that both have the same name. They have different ip addresses. I need to be able to create the host name and/or the destination as a combination of values from the parsed values, like tags, region etc.

So in this case, the destination folder would be "{Tag:Enviroment}\InstanceName" or maybe "{region}\InstanceName" so I can correctly identify the instances with the same name. Is this possible?

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Following up. I like to use beta as well, but the current update process doesn't do a silent update, instead I have to click on the dialogue several times. Is there anyway to consider at least passing in the silent install args to allow the update to run in background, close devolution automatically when ready, and upgrade, then reopen? That would be a big help. It's currently pretty intrusive, thus I haven't been on the beta for a bit. If it was like Vscode, in the background, and then proceeding automatically when "install update" selected, then I'd be on beta all the time.

2 yrs Automatic Upgrades
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Would love to see Chocolately packages for your products, as that would help in setting up development machines much more quickly.
https://chocolatey.org/packages?q=Devolutions

Comparatively this is one for the Microsoft product. https://chocolatey.org/packages/rdcman

2 yrs Chocolately Packages for Devolutions
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Fantastic. You guys are awesome as usual.
I'd also like to ask that this be considered for the console.
Basically, I want to do a quick connect, but find that the same issue occurs. I want to be able to quick connect with a particular field such as public ip or public dns entry to be the connection entry used, while the name of the connection is the name tag.

I have a custom powershell script that currently takes and organizes the entries based on tags. Maybe this could be replaced by some basic parsing/grouping functionality in the synchronize? Be easier to share and maintain if it was part of the product for sure!

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Public IP as the connection , name tag as display name.

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Machine Name (tag) is currently also the computer field, which I need to reflect the Public IP Address. I tried adjusting template etc, but can't get it to populate public IP in the correct field to allow connecting to public IP.
Any suggestions?

sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I stay on the beta version to provide feedback and testing. I'd love to see an option to allow silent update occur, that would automatically download, update, and install with silent switch and then reopen application after update.

Right now every update requires a lot of clicks and manual intervention to do so.

The other alternative is the Ketarin approach I've used similar to this article I wrote

3 yrs Automatic Update Improvement - Silent Update
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

thank you. The dash is just the minus character. It negated the entire partial match as mention for me. I'll see if still does this after your update. thanks again!

3 yrs AWS EC2 Console - Few Small Bugs
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I created a local command called

Test-Connection "$DB_CURRENT_CLIPBOARD$" -count 5 -Verbose

I would like to be able to run this against any selected item in the datasource to do my own custom validation or other script. This is not a remote command. Is this possible, as I'm not having luck accessing the variables or figuring out how to run the macro against a selected set of entries.

thanks in advance for any tips!

3 yrs Powershell Script Against Selected Machine Name
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Trying to wrap my head around some new ways to use RDM.

If I have a library of various powershell scripts and they are stored locally on my machine, as well as a few portable applications, is there any approach with devolutions that would for instance, "install app" and run a simple powershell command to copy the local file to target machine via rdp, then run silent install? Or just to run the script against my local machine?

I was thinking that saving an organized utility library of my scripts to use locally OR be able to easily run via RDM agent on a remote machine might make things much less work, but again, this app is so complex/flexible I'm not sure if designed to do this or not, or too many workarounds required.

any pointers would be welcome

3 yrs Scripts & Utils
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Is there some article or resource you have that better explains the password management when I'm not using a team based approach? I would like to move my passwords into devolutions and have them remotely filled on boxes but not sure of the correct type of entry or if Devolutions is really targeted to help with that?

3 yrs Password Management For Single User
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

1. If filter applied, and console refreshed, the filter is lost
2. Case sensitivity for the filter box is applied, please consider removing for ease of use in this scenario
3. Dash symbol being processed as negation when part of a string. For example SERVER1-PROC would fail to show for "SERVER1-". Please consider allowing the dash to be considered when trailing or part of a string.

thanks as always for your great support!

3 yrs AWS EC2 Console - Few Small Bugs
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

As an example, let's say I want to create a "virtual group" for my "prod" instances vs my "staging" instances (and in this case they are in the same aws region/environment.

My attribute might be
TAG:ENVIRONMENT=PROD; TAG:MACHINETYPE=SQL
TAG:ENVIRONMENT=DEV; TAG:MACHINETYPE=APP

Maybe offering a box for some named group regex matching or json parsing logic would allow me to then set:

Option:
Virtual Groups
- Group Based on : TAG:ENVIRONMENT
- Subgroup Based on : TAG:MACHINETYPE

Does this make some sense?

3 yrs Allow Filtering & Grouping Based on EC2 Synchronizer
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

As always you guys astonish me with your quick feedback and implementation :-)
I always try to recommend you to anyone working with remote machines ;-)

3 yrs Allow choice of template for AWS EC2 Synchronizer
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Allow filtering out based on column or tag value.
Allow grouping/virtual groups based on a chosen tag value. EC2 uses tags to help organize, so this would help allow the EC2 synchronizer to be useful by grouping based on whatever metadata is important.

3 yrs Allow Filtering & Grouping Based on EC2 Synchronizer
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I can't find an option for this, so I think I need to request as a feature.
Requesting option to allow choice of a template for a EC2 synchronizer so I can configure the desired credentials and options on synchronization

3 yrs Allow choice of template for AWS EC2 Synchronizer
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

I see the first iteration of this in the beta release! Thank you!
I tested it out and found the following from my first go:

Successfully entries.
Did not honor the destination specified and created in root location
Did not honor the unchecked automatic checkbox so imported before I could preview what it was going to do
No way to configure the mapping or parsing of the results, so I wasn't able to target the IP/HOST address to a tag I wanted to use, instead it populated it with the string which included some values I couldn't use to connect with.

Appreciate the first go around, so I figured I'd give some feedback on it. cheers

3 yrs AWS EC2 Console
sheldonhull
sheldonhull

Is there any way to map column names from the exported csv the Amazon EC2 console exports to map to "Host" and other required fields the synchronizer needs. In this case, I'm not finding documentation on how to map the csv, only assuming the csv format is already correct, and this is not something I can edit as it's exported by devolution from the ec2 console window.

3 yrs AWS EC2 Console