Forum

Posts by JohnDoe (JohnDoe)

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Thank you for keeping up...

11 mths Clarification of Permissions on Sub Connections needed
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

In this case it seems strange, that the permissions tab is still shown in the entry properties of the sub connection. This is very misleading and if one wouldn't try the feature and check the behavior chances are good that this is used wrong...

Best regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Is it the idea that permissions on Sub Connections are not evaluated? So if the user has the permission to view the parent object he also is able to view all sub connections, regardless of the view permission on a specific sub connection?

(Observed with RDM 13.6.6.0, MSSQL DB and Custom Login)

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi RDM Team, I'm not quite sure if it is a bug or if it is working as intended, but RDM behaves a bit odd if Sub Connections and Folder inheritance of variables is used.

Case:
-Create a Folder, set to Server, give it a name like "servername" and fill in the Computer Field "$NAME$.domain"
-Inside the folder create a Host Entry with the name "$COMPUTER_HOST_WITHOUT_DOMAIN$" and the host entry "$COMPUTER_HOST$"
-add a Web Browser Sub Connection to the Host connection, name it "web" and fill in the URL "http://$PARENT_HOST$"

Now open the web connection and look at the URL. For me it expands to "http://$NAME$.domain", but as I understand, it should expand to "http://servername.domain".

Is this intended behavior? For sure I could fill in "$COMPUTER_HOST$" in the Sub Connection to make the use case work, but this would introduce direct relations between Sub Connections and the folder where the Parent Connection resides in...

3 yrs Variable Resolution
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hmm, why not. A local cache on the workstation would be also fine.

3 yrs Custom Image List load time
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Sounds very good, thank you!

Kind regards and keep up the good work wink

3 yrs Expose Sub Connection Account as usable Credentials for other sub connections
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think we can leverage the theme feature for our needs, as we use them in addition to the built in icons, not to replace them.

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi Devolutions Team,

we use RDM from a network share with MySQL Database. Opening the "Custom Image List" dialog for the first time after RDM startup takes about 50 seconds. Subsequent starts of the dialog take about one second, so that seems ok.
If we copy RDM to the workstation the dialog takes about 5 seconds for opening the first time.

Do you see any chance to speedup the startup time of the dialog when RDM is used from a network share? The old image list was starting way faster...

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi RDM Team,

is this still on you list or did you cancel the idea? (Or correct me, if I missed that one...)

Kind regards

3 yrs Expose Sub Connection Account as usable Credentials for other sub connections
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Cool, thanks for the complete information and for fixing the bug!

Kind regards

3 yrs 11.7.2.0 breaks Sub Connections
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Ok, so it seems like a bug in the new engine and surprisingly SQLite is noticeably faster in our case.
Thanks for the support, we will go ahead with the SQLite Engine

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Still seems good. Is it safe to let the Offline Engine at SQLite? Ok, and if it's safe, why isn't it default? wink

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

This helped indeed. And furthermore, the interface is now way more responsive for changing connection settings!

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Is it possible to send the diagnostic infos via mail? We have no internet connection on the machines with RDM running...

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Ok, so it seems Ctrl+F5 brings it back to life. Shortly after pressing Ctrl+F5, the missing sessions and icons show up. A normal F5 doesn't work.
So if I hit Ctrl+F5 once, then it seems fine, even for the following startups of RDM.

But if delete the local cache again and start up RDM, then all sessions are shown. After a second start the sessions are missing again. Opening and closing RDM several times doesn't help. But if I hit Ctrl+F5, all is back again and working beyond the next restarts.

Let me know if I can gather you some more infos...

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi RDM Team,

I just gave 11.7.2.0 a try and for the first start it works without any problems. After closing RDM and restarting many sessions with sub connections don't have any sub connections anymore and icons are lost (see attached screenshots). If the cache path in AppData\Local\Devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager\ is deleted, RDM works fine for the next time. After closing and reopening RDM is broken again. We use RDM with a MySQL Datasource.

Do you have any idea where to look at? At the moment we stick with 11.6.5.0.

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi Hubert,

thanks for clarifying. I know that it works if the macro is directly filled into the session. We have 50+ of these sub-sessions since the time where custom global variables weren't available. But now as I have to make changes on all of these, I just wanted to take the opportunity to change it to the custom variable option for easier changes the next time.

But I found a viable way to overcome the limitation: I realized that the pipe symbol works correctly. So for now I use the "| tee" command to redirect the output accordingly.

So maybe you could add a list of "disallowed" or "not working as expected" characters to the documentation of the custom variable feature...

Kind regards

3 yrs Greater Than Character doesn't work in Macro if stored in Custom Variable
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hy RDM Team,
I have a typing macro that types into a putty session to collect machine information and creating a mailsubject and mailbody and send the stuff to the admin, who is running the script.

Therefore output of commandline tools is stored in a temporary file via output redirection with ">". This works fine as the macro is stored in the sessions "After Connect" "Typing Macro" box.
The fun starts if the macro is copied to the "Custom Variables" of RDM for global use. If the Macro is run, all the ">" characters are replaced by their html reference "& gt;"
Is this intended bahavior or is there any way to escape the character in the custom variable?

Kind regards

3 yrs Greater Than Character doesn't work in Macro if stored in Custom Variable
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

That was really quick - so thank you and keep up the good work! wink

4 yrs RDM 11.1.6.0/11.1.7.0, Edit Sub Connection
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hey RDM Team, seems like there is a bug in the newer versions with editing sub connections. If I click on a sub connection in the tree view and hit ctrl+e for editing the sub connection, always the first sub connection of the specific connection is opened in edit mode, not the sub connection that I have marked by clicking on it. I've seen this behavior in RDM at least in 11.1.6.0 and 11.1.7.0.

Kind regards

4 yrs RDM 11.1.6.0/11.1.7.0, Edit Sub Connection
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi Julien, do you ever have considered using MobaXterm as portable X-Server?
http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/

4 yrs X server
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

I would like to select it in other sub connections of the same host as fixed value.

4 yrs Expose Sub Connection Account as usable Credentials for other sub connections
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

It would be nice if sub connections, that represent user accounts, could be reused in other sub connections of the same host (or whatever parent) entry as credentials. Otherwise such credentials have to be stored as single, separated entries or they have to be hard coded in every sub connection, that uses these credentials. Please correct me, if this is possible right now and I was only blind enough, to don't find the right option... wink

Kind regards

4 yrs Expose Sub Connection Account as usable Credentials for other sub connections
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi David,

despite, I observed the behavior multiple times on the first day with 10.9.7.0, I haven't seen it again until now. upset
So maybe we forget it for now and I will keep an eye on it.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused...

4 yrs RDM 10.9.7.0 Ping Problem
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

I updated RDM from 10.9.0.0 to 10.9.7.0. Since then the ping function sometimes states "No network connection detected" and it doesn't ping. The sessions open fine, but the ping fuction is useless then. I have a network connection for sure, so the error message is missleading.

Directly after starting RDM the ping function works as expected, but after some time the problem shows up. At the moment I can't really reproduce the problem, it just happens from time to time. I don't have internet access from this system (Win7x64) and I don't have admin rights. RDM is started from a network drive.

Maybe you have an idea, where I can have a look if the error shows up the next time?

Kind regards

4 yrs RDM 10.9.7.0 Ping Problem
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Thank you for the hint - that works like a charm. Sorry, I don't know how I could miss this.
Maybe "&&" could be made the default action (or optional) for spaces in the search field...

Kind regards!

5 yrs Incremental Search in Description
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Dear RDM Team,

I'm not sure if it's an Bug or an Enhancement Request. But the more i write the more it seems like an Enhancement Request.
As I learned by writing this, the search function is called "filter" and it seems that it works just like a pattern filter.
I think this behavior isn't appropriate when it comes to the description field. If you really make use of this field, than it is most likely that you have more than one word/line of text.
The search (ok, filter) box now missleads, that the search is incrementell and full text over the description field as a whole. But as it acts like a filter it is likely that you don't get any results if you type in more than one search pattern.

Steps to reproduce:
-Create entry with following description and line feed:
key1 key2
key3
-Configrue Search filter to search for description fields
-Search for "key1 key2"
--> Entry found
-Search for "key1 key3"
--> Entry not found
-Search for "key2 key1"
--> Entry not found
-Search for "key1 y2"
--> Entry not found

It would be cool if the search would act as a full text search for the decription field and not as a simple pattern filter.

Kind regards.

5 yrs Incremental Search in Description
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi Hubert,

we just updated to the latest version and it works like a charm.
Thanks to the Team for the fast implementation!

Kind regards

5 yrs Refactoring overwrites to much
JohnDoe
JohnDoe

Hi David,

thank you for opening a feature request!

Kind regards

JohnDoe
JohnDoe

I'm not really sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but if you refactor an entry with a template, there are some options that are replaced, where I,m not sure if this correct.

If you check all boxes at "Entry parts to keep" RDM still replaces for example the icon or the sort order of the entry. Shouldn't at least the icon should remain the old?

Use Case: We make heavy use of the sub connection feature and have different templates for creating entries. To make life even easier we also have "addon" templates, that create special subconnections on existing connection entries. If we use these addon templates we always have to correct the icon and sort order.

Kind regargs
John Doe