Forum

Posts by Bin (Bin)

Bin
Bin

This window is useless for me (I have 100+ credentials).
- there is no search/filter
- always start in the same place
- always needs to resize Name column to see entire column

This window is much worse than ordinary tree Search.

If this window could be triggered through some shortcut and automatically set on credential entry used in currently selected session then it would be useful.

This is minor improvement but would be nice to see it. Still quite hard to achieve in daily use the fast jump to credential associated with current session entry.

Maybe some day you will have time to extend this functionality.
edited by Bin on 7/15/2015

5 yrs "Shortcuts" in Menus for quick jump to credential
Bin
Bin

Hi,

I have a LOT of entries, a LOT of sessions and all of them are well described (the burden for this clarity is long names). When you would like to change something in credentials for particular session then it often involve several clicks and additional search smile

It will be great if you consider these kind of improvements in this area:

1) It would be great to be able to jump to suitable credentials (if exists, else greyed out) entry just directly from Menu (right-click on session).

2) It would be nice to extend functionality for Credential list window (but still no. 1 is more useful for me) which can be invoked from session properties and add possibility to go directly to Properties for selected entry (for fast data change or quick overview in details).

Also auto width for columns would be great. I have to always resize this column...

5 yrs "Shortcuts" in Menus for quick jump to credential
Bin
Bin

You didn't get the point. I read this docs earlier. I read entire RDM documentation.
Still no answer about time manipulation on client. What happens if expiration is set on 7 days but just before the end user on the client change date & time back?

Imagine situation when user is fired but had access to Offline mode. I have to be sure he will not be able to extend his access to offline data with so simple datetime trick.

This is why I would like to know how it works. When security is involved I like to know technical details instead of general note "you are safe buddy, we promise"
edited by Bin on 7/8/2015

5 yrs Offline mode expiration - how it works
Bin
Bin

Guys, so settings in Role screen, Privileges tab are considered as Global for User who has this role assigned? Even if another Role (also assigned to him) has another settings? This is no connected with Roles and Groups security but apply as Global User rights? Can you confirm that/clarify? (looks like that because if I assign to user any Role with "allow reveal password" even if few other has this unchecked then user automatically has reveal password permissions.

Thank you.

Role A assigned to user:

Role B assigned to user:

User global permissions after these settings applied:

5 yrs Very confused with RDM permissions system
Bin
Bin

Hi,

Can you clarify more about expiration function in Offline mode?
How expiration checking process works? I hope its bullet proof against date manipulation on client? Thank you.

5 yrs Offline mode expiration - how it works
Bin
Bin

Thank you!

5 yrs Allow multiple instances
Bin
Bin

It would be great to support this. Its quite annoying in my scenario to not be able to achieve this. Than you for fast answer... Need to find "the simplest" workaround now...

Bin
Bin

Hi,

RDM permissions system is very strange imho. It's different than general IT standards. I have a problem with simple case.

I have this kind of tree structure:

In general:
Countries -> Cities (sites) -> IT system groups -> connections entries

Very logical tree imho.

I have created security groups.
I have created roles and assigned to them security groups and set permissions.
I have created users and assigned roles to them.

And now I have the problem.

I have a scenario where some group has access to all subentries of Poland folder and is able to run connections and reveal all passwords except entries in AS* folder. For this folder they should be able to run connections but they are not allowed to reveal passwords.

I'm unable to achieve this with RDM. Am I doing something wrong? How to setup this kind of standard scenario? "Allow reveal passwords" in Roles looks like be used global instead of only on Role level.
edited by Bin on 7/7/2015

Bin
Bin

Hi,

I have a lot of crdentials etc. with long "paths". During looking into Credentials window I have to always resize it manually by clicking "Best Fit" every time. The same in Roles etc. (there is no Best Fit option for columns so only manual resize is available)

It would be great to have in Options some setting with "Always Best Fit columns in windows" or something like that.

5 yrs Permanent Best Fit to all windows/columns
Bin
Bin

Hi,

RDM Enterprise 10.6.0.1

I have RDP connections with Credentials connected to accounts in Credential repository.

I would like to get Username from credential and put it automatically into part of connection Title.

Example:
connection name: "Some connection 1"
Credential entry: "SomeAccount", Username field: TestUser

"Some connection 1 - TestUser"

I was trying to add "Some connection 1 - $USERNAME$" into Name field but it doesn't work for me ($USERNAME$ variable result is empty string)

5 yrs How to add Username from Credentials to connection title
Bin
Bin

Hi,

It's fixed in 10.9.1.0, thanks

5 yrs Create shortcuts allowed in every part of Tree (including root) for user with only Edit permissions
Bin
Bin

Hi,

This exists also in 10.9.0.0 BETA.

I run my report with parameters (empty by default). I have to click twice in parameter field to be able to write anything (annoying when you run the report often)

1) Report started
2) Clicked 1st time into "Computer name" box - after that I'm still unable to write anything into the box

3) Clicked again in box - now I'm able to write

P.S. is there the way to enable "Fit columns to content" by default?

5 yrs Data Report entry type - 2 clicks needed to start typing in Parameter field
Bin
Bin

Hi,

The bug still exists (in form like in 10.5.8.0) in 10.9.0.0 version.

5 yrs Create shortcuts allowed in every part of Tree (including root) for user with only Edit permissions
Bin
Bin

Hi,

or maybe just allow to use Variables in this box then almost all combinations will be possible

Bin
Bin

Hi,

Result of tests in version 10.5.8.0.

It's not possible to add Shortcut by "Create shorcuts" in secured Folder without "Add" permission - so looks OK

It's still possible to add Shortcut by "Create shorcuts" in the root of Sessions - not fixed

btw: I just notest (10.5.8.0) that the same behaviour is in case of "Move to another Group/Folder" function. User is not able to move entry into folder where he doesn't have permissions (correct) but is able to move entry into root of Sessions (should not be allowed).
edited by Bin on 5/20/2015

Bin
Bin

Hi,

RDM version:

When you check only Edit permission (checkbox) and accept by OK then you can think that permission has been saved/applied succesfully (no warning about failure etc.). It's not. If you enter into permissions again then you see the Edit checkbox is unchecked.
You have to check both, View & Edit and only in this case permissions will be saved successfully for particular Group.

It's misleading for new admins of RDM. I was really surprised when Users told me they don't have Edit rights ("what r u talkin man, I GAVE you Edit rights for 100%..." wink)) "hmm, there is nothing here set... What pills shoud I buy to improve my memory?" wink)

I see few possibilities to solve this misleading piece of RDM.
I) automatically check/uncheck View rights checkbox when Edit right is checked/unchecked
II) display warning message (something like "You have checked only Edit rights for Group. Please check View permission also to complete.") after OK is pressed.

5 yrs Role management - permissions checkboxes selection - misleading behaviour
Bin
Bin

Hi,

Imho its a bug and should be squeezed.

Reproduction steps:
A) RDM tree example (all nodes are protected with Security Groups)
Sessions / Group folder A / Group Folder / Connection entry
Sessions / Group folder B / Group Folder / Connection entry

B) User permissions.

User has only Edit permissions to Sessions / Group folder A / Group Folder / Connection entry

Bug:
Ordinary User is not able to create any new entries (OK) but is able to use "Create Shortcut" function and place the shortcut in any node of the tree, even in the place where he doesn't have permissions to Edit. Including Root of sessions.

Imho creating shortcuts should be allowed only in place of Tree where User has "Add" permissions or there is no permissions set at all (public).

Tested on:

Bin
Bin

Hi,

From time to time I run 2 instances of RDM and it would be handy to add User Account on which particular instance is working in RDM main window title. It will help for "1-look" information on which instance I'm working now.

Something like that:

This option could be on/off just under "Allow multiple instances" checkbox:

and by default in Off state
edited by Bin on 5/19/2015

Bin
Bin

Hi,

Is possible to setup plugin to open new connection in already exisiting instance of SSMS? Currently every connection opens new copy of SSMS application.

5 yrs Remote Management with SQL ADD-IN
Bin
Bin

Hi,

I missed this configuration section in manual. Thank you very much for the picture tip and your help. It works great now! Exactly what I need!

5 yrs Better support for tab titles
Bin
Bin

My Tab title is just like ordinary title without any variable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could you post here what should I do step by step to user variable in Tab Title?

Bin
Bin

Hi,

Not sure how to add this custom field to be visible only in Tabs Title (or maybe you mean to add server name automatically to every subentry? if it is not possible for Tabs Titles then it could be some workaround)

This is example of my tree:
http://i.imgur.com/n5IHcAu.png

How can I inherit name from "Server" object?

What do you mean by custom field variable...?

I have added test value in "Server" object custom field:
http://i.imgur.com/LbNVeKb.png

and then added in entry title:
http://i.imgur.com/LAWAVze.png

but there is no effect, entry name is not changed.

Bin
Bin

Hi,

I have exactly the same "problem" as OP. Has been this implemented? I can't find a way to achieve this (newest RDM).

I have this kind of structure: name [RDM object type]:
Country [Group/Folder] / Site [Site] / ServerName [Server] / Server administration [RDP connection]

When I open server administration connection (multiple) then I have multiple tabs with "Server administration" title. I can hoover on tabs to search particular server but its time consuming and annoying.

Is it possible to add some variables or something to see tabs titles in form:
"ServerName - Server administration"?

I can't use $COMPUTER_HOST$ variable from Server object because I use FQDN there.
edited by Bin on 5/14/2015