Forum

Posts by steeladept@live.com (steeladept@live.com)

Wow, how did I miss this message 4 months ago!?! I do apologize for that. It is very rude of me.

To answer your question it is the Websites entries I typically use and was talking about. Most of my entries are somewhat legacy and never transferred over. In fact, I didn't even notice that there was a difference until I read this question today. As I checked it out, I noticed that the Web Browser (http/https) may be a better fit for these sessions anyway.

As for the data source, they are all local SQLite datasources.

ALSO: I am now using version 2019.1.41.0 and it seems to be working again, so whatever was done between those two subversions seems to have been corrected.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni and Cheese for Adults

3 mths Unable to make bulk edits to Web Sessions

ServiceNow is definitely one I would consider - it seems to be the most popular one now, and is much cheaper than many of the old mainstays. That seems to be a good starting point to me. I just thought I would make the suggestion since I didn't see any synchronizers or similar plug-in/extension/feature that did that job. Thanks for the consideration.

4 mths More of an idea than a feature request, but it could help many....

I don't have a lot of details on the idea, but it occurred to me that the Devolutions Server is something of a CMDB in many organizations. Regardless of if they actually implement a separate central management database or not, the admins need to have password access to the machines, so it becomes a defacto CMDB regardless.

So taking advantage of that fact, my thought is that you create some form of a CMDB linkage mechanism between Devolutions Server and most popular CMDB systems out there now (I am thinking HP, BMC, Cherwell, etc.). Keeping the two databases in synch, while keeping the passwords separate and secure makes a lot of sense from a lifecycle management standpoint and provides another unique feature of Devolutions Server.
Further, for those like my current company, that are trying to implement a CMDB, having an exporter that can build it from the current data would be a BIG boon, and for those with a CMDB already that are looking to add Privleged Password Management capabilities, having an importer from these CMDB's would provide a huge jumpstart (especially if you could set some sort of default import settings to minimize the number of change required after import).

Running this regularly, similar to the AWS Synchronizer, could also lead to keeping everything up to date during lifecycle management activities - you only need to actively retire the machine in one place, instead of 2, for example. And if there is a mismatch, keeping them in synch can alert administrators to finding out what the cause of such a mismatch is.

I don't know how much this helps, but I thought I would throw that idea out for your consideration anyway.

Thanks,

Tom Higgins

4 mths More of an idea than a feature request, but it could help many....

I just upgraded to the newest RDM (details below), and noticed that I am unable to make bulk changes to Web Sessions. Other session types (SSH, RDP were tested) worked fine. I also verified it didn't matter if they were new or existing, just in case that would help. I cannot confirm behavior in previous editions, however I use bulk updates regularly and do not recall any issue with them.

RDM Information:

RDM Version: 2019.1.20.0
.NET Runtime: v4.0.30319
.NET Version: v4.7.2 or better
Current User Role: Administrator/SysAdmin/DbOwner

Loaded Add-Ons: None Listed

6 mths Unable to make bulk edits to Web Sessions

One thing I will add though - the "Viewer" section is not well named - as you can edit those files as well (I didn't realize at first). It just opens it in an external editor, which is how it is working now for me using the default document type and Mode "Linked to File".

2 yrs Am I missing something? No Simple Text editor?

Alas, no, it didn't. It saves it in the RDM database, not an external file. Basically after doing a lot of searching and working on other things, I finally stumbled across what I was looking for (sort of), with enough to tell what I really am looking for in the feature. What I found was in the More Tools button, there is a Host File entry. If I choose that, it does everything I want except allow editing (because the Hosts file requires elevated privileges).

What I was looking for was that, except that it prompt for elevated privileges on save so I can edit it on the fly. I am also looking for a way to pin that to my Navigation Panel, as I edit it frequently.

Moreover, I thought this was basically the expected behavior of the document type, but it is apparently not.

Just checked it out. So that has the short issue of not tying back to the actual hosts file. I can enter information there, and keep it, but I still need to find my host file, open it, and edit it outside of RDM as I am now. That is a little different than what I am trying to accomplish.

What I am trying to accomplish is little more than creating a shortcut to my hosts file so I can open and edit it - kind of like I do with websites - where RDM keeps the web address and login information, and I just connect and add the information desired on the page (or whatever). Plugins work similarly with the SCP plugin, for example, where I click on the RDM link, and it opens SCP and makes the connection so I can just start transfering the files. This seems no different, except that the file is local instead of remote (though remote should be equally doable) and the application just opens it and I can add/edit the document. Hope that helps explain.

Tom

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for that reply. In the first option above, that is only in the viewers section (and the Text Option works fine, as long as I don't want to edit it!). Your second recommendation shows promise, though - I am trying that now.

So this simple request (or I assume it is simple anyway), is because I can't seem to find a simple text editor in RDM. I see I can create a document entry with editor rights using a Spreadsheet Editor, HTML Editor, or Rich Text Editor, which is really cool BTW; but I don't see a simple text editor, or any way to configure it to use an editor that doesn't add encodings. Some files, especially configuration files, can get messed up VERY easily using something even as simple as WordPad, nevermind Word or any other RTF editor I have used. Having a separate entry that doesn't do Rich Text could help limit issues in these situations. Ideally, it should be able to use elevated privileges to save (similar to what Notepad++ and VSCode do). In fact, making this a plugin instead of a built in feature may be a better way to go (and use those tools to do the heavy lifting).

Either way, this little used document entry feature could use something like that to make it more useful for frequently accessed and edited documents. And if you are looking for a use case where this makes sense, I want to use this to edit my Hosts file regularly. I also would potentially use it for editing conf files on remote linux machines.

Vault is an opensource tool for maintaining secrets, ssh keys, etc. much like many other tools that RDM already supports. If the customer is not going to buy and use Devolution Server, and is at all Linux-savvy, they will likely impliment the Vault tool. As such, I expect this will be requested if it hasn't already. To that end, I am requesting it now with links as requested:

Link to Vault:
https://www.vaultproject.io/#/

Link to API documentation:
https://www.vaultproject.io/api/index.html

Please note: This may be premature, as the API is not yet stable according to the page warning. However it is developing quickly and is probably worth following for implementation when it does stabilize.

2 yrs Hashicorp Vault

And in case it helps - it does not seem to matter the approach used. I tried from the Ribbon, as well as from the shortcut button on an existing entry. It doesn't seem to matter, they all take me to the same Password Generator box, and then when I hit the plus button I immediately get the request for a name. Moreover, when I go to File>Templates>Password Templates, there are none listed (Verified none in Templates as well). However, it did allow me to create a template there and use the same name. Even then, it does not show up - not in the box and not on the model drop-down. It is like the templates go into a black hole where only the name is recognized.

My setup is as follow -

RDM 13.0.6.0
Local SQL Lite data source

2 yrs Password Generator Templates

Sure. Here it is. Note, there are actually 3 different saved setting. But when I open the dropdown in the Template, it doesn't populate to show them. However, if I save them with the same name, they give the error shown (also attached).

NOTE: I do not get the same dialog that requests local or database.

I seem to be unable to access the Password templates for the Password Generator. I click on the Plus sign to save it, but after words, it does not show in the drop-down for me to choose. Is this something in a setting somewhere, or a bug, or just my bad luck? Any ideas?

Thanks! That workaround worked perfectly. I guess I just didn't scroll down far enough to see it the first time.

Still doesn't change the fact that it didn't work in the session settings itself, but this is the preferred way of working for this use case anyway!

2 yrs VPN issues with Cisco AnyConnect

RDM version : 13.0.5
Cisco AnyConnect: 3.0.36

Issue Description:
Setup a separate VPN connection using Cinsco AnyConnect and the connection works fine. However, if I try to setup the same connection within a RDP session, the VPN does not connect - specifically, it does not respond with the correct response to "Connect anyway" confirmation. In my case, it is set for Before authentication, but it never transmits the 'y' to the cli.

This variation does leave me wondering why I can not setup the VPN session and just point the RDP connection to use that connection (very much like using the credentials repository). Or maybe it is available and I don't know how to implement it yet. That would be a viable workaround.

2 yrs VPN issues with Cisco AnyConnect

I realize this is probably a website issue with T-Mobile and not with RDM, since RDM recognizes the correct fields and fills them in properly, but for whatever reason, on the tmobile website for account login at https://account.t-mobile.com/ I know everything is right since it works if I do a View and then copy each in. However if I do a copy username and password or if I let the plugin autofill it does not recognize the entry and fails. Like I said, I believe this to be an issue with T-Mobile's website, but is there any workaround in RDM to potentially make this work? I have tried several different browsers, as well as using it embedded, and even Display Undocked (which should have no bearing, but I was reaching at that point). I also tried using different account types, but the Login(Web) is the only one that even partially works and seems like it should be the right option.

Any other ideas I can try while I wait for them to actually see and fix whatever is going on?

4 yrs Automatic login not working

Agreed. I am sorry I wasn't that clear. I was just answering the question. I did not expect you to do either, I just meant that is what it appears it will take - at least in its current form.

This is definitely not a need - at least for me. I just mentioned it because it would be a nice addition to your already extensive list of supported plugins. Thank you for taking the time to review and for the consideration. If the developers DO release an API, I will be certain to let you know.

Thanks again,

Tom

4 yrs Add-on Request: Angry-IP Scanner // RidNacs

Hello Sebastien,

Unfortunately no. AngryIP does have Java source code available at GitHub; but there does not appear to be any API hooks to leverage. It appears you would need to either integrate it or roll your own API from the source code.

In case you didn't already come across it, you can find it here: https://github.com/angryziber/ipscan

I second AngryIP. This is a nice tool that should be relatively easy to integrate as an AddOn(I hope).

As for RidNacs, never heard of it before this. I use spacesniffer for the same purpose, however. I can definitely see where a product like this could be helpful to integrate. My only question, though, would be where would you integrate it? As another tab for each machine (potentially quite difficult) or as a standalone application (similar to RVTools) where you would point it to the machine, enter the credentials, then view the results (limited use/less usability).

Personally, I would prefer to see the space usage report capability as built into each RDP session view as an additional tab. It would probably need to be run on demand so as not to add any additional burden on machines unless needed (no matter how slight). I expect that would require a fair bit of development, though, that goes well beyond the scope of the product. That said, I do think it would be very useful to anyone who uses RDM.

Thanks again. As suspected, it wasn't an RDM issue - it was a user issue wink

So my key generated bad, once that was fixed, everything worked. I still want to thank you for pointing me to the SSH Shell entry type instead of the SSH Shell (Rebex) though, as that is what helped me isolate the real issue. Not to mention it is easier to setup. smile Not sure what happened with PuTTY working. I think the person who set it up regenerated the key from scratch instead of using the same one I was, but who knows.

4 yrs AWS Connection to Linux EC2 instance

Thank you. That now connects to AWS but then refuses the key. Guess I have to troubleshoot why that is now, but at least now I know how to setup RDM for this.

Perhaps doing some sort of on the fly PuTTYGen-like conversion would be a nice feature request? Just a thought on how it may make this easier for users connecting to AWS. Thank you for that direction, though, either way.

I may have missed this in my searches in the Online Documentation and again here on the forum, but I am having significant difficulty making connections to my AWS linux instances using the built in SSH Shell. In Putty (which I don't have installed anymore, though I may need it for this purpose), I had to convert the .PEM file to a .PPK file for Putty to recognize it, then put that in the session information. For the SSH Shell, however, I don't seem to see that option in the Private Key tab. Ideally I can just plug in the .PEM file we have, but if I need to convert it, that might be okay too. Am I missing something here?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

So I just upgraded to 2.0.2.0 and that resolved it. I have NOT upgraded the browser extension yet (or even checked to see if there is an upgrade yet for that matter ). So whatever changed in 2.0.2.0 included the fix.

*EDIT* I just checked and I see the browser extension was automatically updated with it back to 3.0.6 dated Nov 4, 2015; so I don't know which part fixed it, but I can confirm the combination is fixed.

Thank you,

Tom

5 yrs Issues after updating to RDMFree 2.0.0.0

Just checked with the newest version and it is still occurring. No change.

Sure. And just to let you know, it is still and issue with 3.0.5 of the browser add-on as well.

I upgraded this morning to RDMFree 2.0.0.0 and since then I am having a weird issue with one specific website link I use.

Typically use is as follows:

• I launch the URL (into Firefox)
  • I right click and have it choose the credential store I need to use (3 different accounts, 1 primary, and 2 for testing)
  • I hit submit
After the upgrade, I get the following:
  • I launch the URL (into Firefox) - The credential choices popup automatically.
  • I choose the credential I want to use - It fails, then pops up the credential choices automatically.
  • I choose the credential again - It works, goes to the next page, then pops up the credential choices automatically.
  • I clear the popup, navigate to the next page, and the choices pop up.
No matter what page on that particular site, it pops up the credential choices box (but only that site). All others seem to work fine. For this reason, I believe it may be related to having multiple logins for the same site. Also to note - this works in IE and Chrome (currently using extension version 3.0.3.0 for both) as well as in Firefox prior to updating to version 2.0.0.0. The extension version in Firefox is reporting 3.0.6 which I am guessing rolled out with the 2.0.0.0 update since the website states the current version is 3.0.5.

I will try to download and install 3.0.5 and see if this resolves the issue.

It is. The second paragraph is the part I missed...The common database of servers needing access. It makes a lot more sense now.

Hopefully they will be able to come back with a better answer for you.

5 yrs Wrong management of multiple KeePass credentials

I am not sure I fully understand how you are applying this and why you are using the Override credentials option, so I don't know if that is an issue or not. Perhaps I am misunderstanding, so if I am, I apologize in advance.

Assuming I understand the issue correctly, I do something similar with multiple untrusted domains. There are two ways to look at this depending on how you are setup. If you have two different KeePass servers, then you can just point to the different databases and use the corresponding database for the correct server. I believe you can setup completely different lists for each database as you login, though I don't do it that way, so I may be mistaken.

The alternative (which is also how I do this) is to put in the full domain creds in a single database. What I mean is, instead of using uSERnAME as your account, try setting each to abc\uSERnAME or uSERnAME@abc.local in the username field for those servers. Likewise, for the other domain, use xyz\uSERnAME or uSERnAME@xyz.local for the XYZ domain. Then, as the password is associated to that username uniquely, it will not pull the wrong credentials. I have never had an issue doing it this way.

Hope that helps, as a workaround if nothing else.

Tom

5 yrs Wrong management of multiple KeePass credentials

I just found something I missed before that makes this request irrelevant. Using the Footer pane for the appropriate Hypervisor provides the same kind of information. Now that I reread the post, I am guessing that is what you meant, though I didn't understand it at the time. Instead, I thought you meant starting the console outside of RDM. Doh!

5 yrs Hypervisor Addon Feature Request