Forum

Posts by sander (sander)

sander
sander

Shame on me..... instantly did the trick...

Thanks!

4 yrs Custom VPN parameters
sander
sander

Hi David,

Sorry for having to get back to this old topic.
Currently, I'm using version 11.9.0.0 and 11.7.3.0, both to the same SQL database.

In the session I've created earlier in this topic, the paramaters $VPN_PASSWORD$ is working fine.
If I duplicate this session and modify the vpn password entry, evertying still works fine.

If I create a new connection (both from template or from new session), the $VPN_PASSWORD$ parameter is not send to the executable.

I've used your application CommandLineRegurgitator.exe to diagnose, see the results in the images.

Can you help me with this?
Thanks!
Sander

sander
sander

Great! Nice to hear!
Any idea when the new version will be available?

Thanks!

sander
sander

Hi Hubert,

Herewith the results.
I've also attached the 3WT-L2TP.ps1 file; this is just a file to echo out the results.

Thanks!
Sander

*Using button "Open VPN" and button "Open Session":

Executable : CommandLineRegurgitator.exe
C:\Users\sander\Downloads\CommandLineRegurgitator\3WT-L2TP.ps1
example.domain.com
testuser
testdomain
testuser
Shared

*Using button "Close VPN":

$VPN_HOST$
disconnect

*Using button "Open Session" and confirm VPN disconnect after session close:

example.domain.com
disconnect

sander
sander

Hi Hubert,

This is my closing argument:
\\192.168.1.1\Shares\Script.ps1 $VPN_HOST$ disconnect

This is what I entered within the VPN type Custom:
Host: example.domain.com

Executable: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
Opening argument: \\192.168.1.1\Shares\Script.ps1 $VPN_HOST$ $VPN_USERNAME$ $VPN_DOMAIN$ $VPN_PASSWORD$

Closing argument: \\192.168.1.1\Shares\Script.ps1 $VPN_HOST$ disconnect
Wait interval: 2 sec
Run in 64 bit: enabled
Run in background: disabled

Username: testuser
Domain: testdomain
Password: testpassword

I'm using 11.7.2.0 also, but with the modified files by David in this topic.

Sander

sander
sander

I discovered that when you let RDM disconnect the VPN connection after ending the session, the parameters are sent correctly.
Only when using the "Close VPN" button, the paramters are not used.
"Open VPN" works fine.

Sander

sander
sander

Hi David,

One other question. It looks like the parameters aren't sent when the closing arguments kick in.
Could you check that for me?

Sander

sander
sander

Hi David,

Sorry for getting back to you after so long.
The modifications work fine now!

Do you include them in the next release?

Thanks!

Sander

sander
sander

Hi David, yes please!

sander
sander

Had an old 11.6.1.0 version; tested it with SQL, same error

sander
sander

Hi Marc,

Just tested it with 11.7.2.0 with a local data source (XML), but still the same error.
Also tried to run it in 64 bit mode.

Sander

sander
sander

Hi Marc,

I'm using 11.7.2.0 with a Microsoft SQL Database.

Sander

sander
sander

Good day,

I'm struggling with L2TP VPN connections using a pre-shared key. We are using a small 2000 entries in the enterprise edition with our whole support team.
We want a centralized solution for connecting to customer networks. Using PPTP and a central .pbk file, everything is working fine.
Since I’m unable to add a pre-shared key within the .pbk, I am going for the work around with a PowerShell script using “Add-VpnConnection”.

Now on to the bug report ;-)
If I add an entry and define a Custom VPN to it, the tab “settings” gives me 4 parameters.
The parameters $VPN_USERNAME$, $VPN_DOMAIN$ and $VPN_HOST$ work fine.
If I use the parameter $VPN_PASSWORD$, it gives me the value of the $VPN_USERNAME$ .

I’ve checked Security\Allow password in variable
I’ve also tried Data Source Settings\Password Policy\Allow password in macro (from another post)

Could you look into this for me please?
Also, any other hints regarding L2TP and preshared key usage is welcome ;-)

Thanks!
Sander

sander
sander

Hi David,

The Application Log is "empty". The last messages there, are of January.
We're having the same problem with multiple users. All are Local Administrator.

Sander

7 yrs 8.1.0.0 Windows 8 error?
sander
sander

Does anyone else have a problem with 8.1.0.0 and Windows 8?
We have around 20 machines, on 5 of them Windows 8 are running with RDM installed in C:\Program Files.
It is impossible to quit the Remote Desktop Manager application on Windows 8 (x64) when it is installed in the C:\Program Files directory. It seems there is an issue with permissions, cause when I install the software in another folder (for example: C:\Tools\RemoteDesktopManager) everything is fine.

Sander

7 yrs 8.1.0.0 Windows 8 error?
sander
sander

David Hervieux wrote:

All the special actions only works for a .....

In my case, what I want to do is open a connection with the credentials saved, and than open a connection to the same machine, only with differtent credentials (for terminal server purposes)

8 yrs Remote Desktop Manager 7.0 Beta
sander
sander

Hi David,

Just found out that it is not possible to open multiple RDP sessions with the option "Prompt for credentials".
Is this build in, or a bug?

Sander

8 yrs Remote Desktop Manager 7.0 Beta
sander
sander

Great! Thanks a lot David!!

Both security and VPN works great now!
Maybe you could remove the links in this post to the two defective executables? This way there won't be a security exploit.

Sander

9 yrs Connections back to Default Phone book (6.1.3.0)
sander
sander

If you change the username from UserA to UserB within the Data Source, it logs you in with the rights of the username stated there (UserB).
If you change the username after selecting the data source (where the username is UserA) and change it during the login to UserB (with the password of UserB), you can see the sessions of UserA's security group.

Hopefully you understand what I mean, otherwise I could try to make a doc with screenshots if you want me to.

Sander
<em>edited by sander on 6/24/2011</em>

sander
sander

Hi David,

At first, it looks ok, since there is no option to change the username anymore.
But if you enable the checkbox "editable" right after the username in the Data Sources, the same problem exists again.

Sander

sander
sander

Great, thanks! Big problem here as you might imagine....
Will be happy to test!!!

sander
sander

Hi David,

VPN Problem seems solved, but the security is gone! At this moment, all my employees can access any server.

My situation:
SQL Server, with SQL login (not Windows Authentication).
Users are member of security groups.
Sessions secured by Security Groups.
Every user has got it's own Data Source connection, with a set of predefined SQL and user settings, without a password.

Normally, the select their own datasource, enter a password (username is not changeable) and see their rights.
At this moment, if user A selects' user B's datasource, he can change the username to his own, enter his password and then see the sessions protected by the security groups!
Strange!!

Attached an screenshot of the configured Data Sources.
Please let me know what you need in order to solve this importent issue.

Sander

sander
sander

Good morning!

Yesterday, I've updated our RDM to 6.1.3.0 (enterprise). Since then, almost all of our sessions' VPN connections have been reverted to "Default Phone Book", instead of the Phone Book on our custom, central location.
We have to edit the session manually to select "Phone Book" again. The PBK location is saved correctly.

Since we have 919 sessions, is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!
Sander

sander
sander

dhervieux wrote:

Hi,
I added a setting in the application option (Session Type tab page). IF you set the VPN delay to -1 in the session (the new default), this value will be used. Can you give it a try. Don't forget to set the VPN setting to -1 where you already changed the value:

http://remotedesktopmanager.com/download/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.6.0.0.0e.exe

Hi David,

Gave the exe a test. Unfortunately, the -1 setting does not work for already added connections, where I did not change the VPN pause earlier. If I manually modify the -1 value to 1, it does work.
Is there a special reason why you choose -1 instead of 1?

Sander

9 yrs VPN pause
sander
sander

Hi David,

Thanks for the reaction. Unfortunately, the 887 sessions are divided over around 300 sites, each with their own VPN credentials. Batch editing them will replace the creds.
I discovered that the option is added to the database as soon as you edit it. So, without editing it, is it possible to replace the hard-coded value with a changeable one in a feature version?

Sander

9 yrs VPN pause
sander
sander

Hi there!

Since version 6(.0.0.0), I discovered there is an option on the VPN tab, that says "After execute pause".
The default value here is 15 sec. This means it always waits 15 secs after building the VPN.

Is there a way to reduce this to 1 or 2 secs for all entries? We have 887 sessions, so I don't want to have to modify them one by one....
Using RDM 6 enterprise with a MSSQL database.

Not sure if I had to post this one on the feature requests or on the bug list, but since it bugged me, I put this one here.

Thanks, Sander

9 yrs VPN pause
sander
sander

Maybe I've found the fix. Please stand-by for more information; no need to examine this problem right now. I will get back to you guys.

10 yrs RDP Connect problem
sander
sander

Breaking news!
Just found out that the problem could be with Network Level Authentication indeed.

For an example: I created a RDM connection named "TERMINAL". Configured and tested it, everything works fine.
I duplicated the connection to "TERMINAL2". Tested it, everything works fine.

As soon as I open and successfully login to one of the connections, the other doesn't work anymore!

Also, if I open "TERMINAL" on my pc, my collegue can't connect to both "TERMINAL" and "TERMINAL2". It doesn't even popup the username and password screen.

FYI: Using SQL as a database server. Password is not saved in the database.

Hopefully it helps finding out/replicating the issue.

Sander

also, using 5.9.0.0 now; problem still the same.
<em>edited by sander on 11/16/2010</em>

sander
sander

Hmz..... At first, it looked like the problem was solved, but unfortunately it reappeared again. Also on my colleagues pc's. Both from Windows 7 and Windows XP as clients.
The strange thing is that it only seems to be a problem connecting to W2K8R2 servers. Authentication could be the issue, but it is strange that with two exactly the same RDM connections (duplicated from each other), one connects fine and the other one connects and disconnects right away?!

sander
sander

Shame on me.... just renewed it!

10 yrs New beta version available