Forum

Posts by Maurice Cote (mcote)

Maurice Cote
Maurice CoteDevolutions staff

Hello,

Where have you seen that its insecure? There are steps to take when binding DWL with RDM itself to make it secure under TS/Citrix (application Key and unique port per user), but in the case of DPS/Hub the communication is protected because with hit the backend directly.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

1 hr Devolution Web Login Citrix Compatibility
Maurice Cote

Hello,

What edition/version?
Have you set it at the application or datasource?
What type of datasource are you using?

thx

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

1 day 2FA (MFA) requires numerous authorisations each day
Maurice Cote

Hi,

Settings are in File -> Options -> User Interface -> Keyboard

2019+10+14+09+34+55

You could try with "When not in session", but you can go all in and set "None"

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 days Disable CTRL SHIFT Arrow
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Well, you must have hit a bug. Whats strange of your description is that it doesnt work at all, we should have had other bug reports if that was the case and we've had 10 beta builds since the RDM version you use... Maybe you're running into an edge case.

We will ask a team member to try and reproduce your issue. Monday is a holiday for us, I hope we can provide feedback by the end of tuesday.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

4 days Any ideas on where to look to try and get things running?
Maurice Cote

we got that covered!

please watch https://blog.devolutions.net/2017/07/video/spotlight-on-host-and-templates-remote-desktop-manager

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

6 days what are sub-connections and how do they work
Maurice Cote

they are bad and should not be used...

seriously they are stored within the parent connection and prevent the most advanced refactorings and inheritance features. They are deprecated and should not be used anymore.

you can achieve better workflows with variables and inheritance. On top of it you’ll have batch edits.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

6 days what are sub-connections and how do they work
Maurice Cote

Hello,

You do not mention what type of data source you are using. Security groups were for our original security system, which is being replaced by our Role Based Access Control.

Everything that you used to do should still be possible with roles. In fact, we recommend you use Vaults in most cases, and they become absolutely necessary when you have more than 3500 entries in your system, but is it your case? If not, you can have the exact same setup.

Just let me know if indeed you hold so many entries. We can also hold a quick session with you to clarify things.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

11 days Security Groups vs Vaults
Maurice Cote

We wont ignore you, how can we expect you to talk to your friends about the great product that saves you time!?!

Much like gaming, converting 1% of our free users to paid users is worth supporting all of you!

We're going to look into this, we've rewritten a bunch of stuff in the SSH connection, I dont know yet if its fixable, but we'll get back to you shortly...

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

12 days ssh - copy text with mouse
Maurice Cote

we have that, they are called “user specific settings”

please consult https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/edit_userspecificsettings.htm, there are a few tricks and, most importantly the fact that you need an advanced data source. Since you are moving to the enterprise edition, it’s probably what you intend to do anyway.

Best regards

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

13 days default docked (tabbed), but user preference for undocked
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Is there any specific feature that you are looking for in that beta?

We are planning the phase of using it internally for a while, we should be able to deploy it at some willing customers at the same time. I will ask Erica to put you on her list.

Thanks.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

21 days Any ETA on the new release ?
Maurice Cote

Bonjour,

Notre prochain meeting stratégique est en Novembre. D'ici là, nous sommes dans une phase d'effort maximum afin de livrer une solution PAM complète, et ceci en même temps que nous obtenons une certification SOC2.

Il est impossible pour nous d'ajouter un nouvel axe de développement à ce stade.

Cordialement,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Personnaliser l'interface web
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Sorry about the delay,

I will ask the team to implement the new column and the sort.

As for the export, I would be nice indeed if, much like RDM, we would have that capability for every grid. I would think it would be a longer term item.

For the 2FA to roles, I will get back to you.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Additional "2FA enabled" column + make "Last login" more accessible + possible to add 2FA to roles
Maurice Cote

Hello,

No re-install, if push comes to shove, you simply empty the EncryptedDataSources section of your configuration file and simply re-register them again.

The are some settings that we can attempt to reset, but we would attempt that only as a last resort option, just contact us at ticket@devolutions.net if you cannot recreate you data sources.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Can't get in to RDM by cancelling Google Authenticator prompt on startup
Maurice Cote

Hello,

The OLE DB provider normally does a good job when it has no library specifically set, so I'm surprised you are experiencing this issue. You can set a specific library by the following:

Edit your SQL Server data source, go in the Advanced Tab, then press or More Settings. In the property editor window that appears, set the Network Library to dbmssocn.

Let me know if this was indeed the issue.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths RDM access over VPN
Maurice Cote

Hello,

The first issue is caused by our "missing translation detection" mechanism. It should occur only on machines that follow a certain naming convention , or for which the diagnostic setting has been turned on. I would eliminate the former as you have been with us since v3, so it points to a logging setting. Have you turned on something while troubleshooting?

As for the second concern, we have moved almost all setting in the web interface, under the administration menu. The console will remain only for "deep" system level settings.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Buggy window and missing menus in DPS 2019.1.20.0
Maurice Cote

Bonjour,

Nous n'avons jamais fait d'efforts en ce sens car avec le modèle RDM+DPS, rares étaient ceux qui faisait acheter des licenses a leurs clients. Maintenant avec notre interface web et des produits comme Devolutions Web Login et Devolutions Launcher, ça pourrait devenir intéressant.

Je vais en discuter lors de notre meeting stratégique.

Merci

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Personnaliser l'interface web
Maurice Cote

An infrastructure issue prevented users to establish Wayk Now remote connections using the Devolutions Wayk Den service.

Start time: 2019/08/18 10:45 UTC
End time: 2019/08/18 11:45 UTC
Duration: 1 hour

Sequence of events

10:45 UTC – Monitoring systems alerted Devolutions staff of a failure of the Wayk Den service.
11:00 UTC – Engineering found that the issue was related to database unavailability.
11:37 UTC – Engineering was able to restore the database on a different node. The service seems to be working again.
11:44 UTC – Engineering declared the service stable. All components are running and serving clients as expected.
11:45 UTC – End of outage

Investigation is still ongoing to understand why the failed database instance was not be automatically rescheduled on an different node as part of the auto-healing process.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Devolutions Wayk Den - Incident - 2019-08-19 10:45 UTC
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Well, I dont know when we'll have the capacity to look into this, but I may have stumbled on a potential solution while I was down the rabbit hole on a totally different subject...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/concept-primary-refresh-token

It looks like a project for our next internal Hackfest... I hope I can post news within the next month, but we are booked solid for 2019... Sorry about that

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Devolutions Web Login Plugin with DPS Connection and Windows Authentication
Maurice Cote

Hello,

This is my first day back from vacation and I need to see what we can offer in the short term. My colleague Erica has a bunch of scripts for automated testing of our server, I will ask her to sanitize them and to post them as samples.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

2 mths Documentation of the SDK
Maurice Cote

Hello,

indeed it’s a common request, but which one? we are most often asked about ServiceNow, but I’m not sure it’s truly the most used in our community.

Right now we are focusing on meeting PAM requirements, but could look into this for next year

Best regards

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths More of an idea than a feature request, but it could help many....
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Just a note for the rest of the community since we've been communicating with the poster via email.

We need to work with Thycotic to identify if the API supports that workflow, and if so in which of their editions. After that, we need to work with their business team to get a NFR licence to allow us to implement the feature.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths RDM - Thycotic Secret Sever using ADFS Authentication
Maurice Cote

Hello,

1a - Why is this necessary still 2 years later? ...
This forum is a powershell repository, many people automate this type of worklow.
1b - ...You offer this feature in the GUI but it blow's away the underlying data away.
See point 3
2 - Why even have ID's and a relational database if you are going to use the text and not ID's to associate objects with?
We have a project to switch to object SIDs, but it hasnt moved from the backlog at this time.
3 - Why offer the ability to rename in the GUI if we actually need to do is this in powershell if we expect it to work?
This would be a bug that would have a high priority, I will check with the QA lead on this. We will open a ticket or kick up the priority. The bug fix will surely be that we do not allow renaming, thats because of our plan to move to SIDs
4 - How are users supposed to know when a feature offered in the GUI, really should be done via Command Line if you actually expect it not to destroy data?
see point 3

5 - I have managers and first level administrators that I want to pass this job off to. They are never going to do powershell.
Our feeling was that renaming an AD group is an event that occurs rarely, at least this is the case for the majority of our customers. We do not expect to allow non-sysadmins to support that workflow

If we open a new ticket, its number will be sent to you to ease tracking.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths Renaming a role and update permissions
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Since it has been a full week since the incident, I wanted to publish a report of the investigation as it stands right now. Sadly, we are still working with our hosting provider to ascertain if the issue was a fluke, or if we can pinpoint the root cause and work on mitigating the risk of the same anomaly occurring.

The investigation is complicated by the fact that the piece of the infrastructure we are focusing on is offered by a third party. The last response from our provider indicated that sadly they were not experts on that specific technology. Be assured that we are still pursuing a resolution to our ticket.

We use multiple such clusters throughout our service offering, and the one used by our login layer is the only one that has suffered such an issue. We are in the process of creating a standby cluster to help in case of future events.

We will update this report as information comes in. Do not hesitate to open a ticket using https://devolutions.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 for more information.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths Devolutions Cloud services - Incident - 2019-07-18 07:15 UTC
Maurice Cote

Hello,

I would need to confirm if all these fields are supported, but the mechanism for what you describe would be to use our Synchronizer family, especially the CSV in this case. https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/entrytype_synchronizer.htm

Since you use a direct-to-db connection, you would need to have an active RDM (in a logged on windows session) to run the synchronization. Those that need to sync on a schedule have a VM with a logged-on "service" account, but your security team may forbid it...

The alternative would be to write a custom powershell script that reads from your CRM, but would have a lot of scenarios to implement for updates/deletions.

Could you generate a CSV file on a schedule?
Could you have a running RDM somewhere in your infrastructure?

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths API-Integration and Synchronization with CRM-System (CAS genesisWorld)
Maurice Cote

@ skoupidaki

As per Configuration File Location, if you followed the default install pattern, they are under %LocalAppData%\Devolutions\RemoteDesktopManager, the screen layout is stored in a bunch of lyt files, but you might as well just zip that whole folder recursively.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths RDMO down - no offline mode (URGENT)
Maurice Cote

Hello,

@rodol, we are tweaking all of these separate pieces of our online services. We are aware of the issues and are working hard at improving our user experience.

As for the status page, it has been introduced really a short while ago and the intent is to have sensors and alarms that automatically feed into it. For the time being though, its updated manually, and our staff in Germany havent been trained on the system (they have sounded the alarm a while ago and could have posted the outage on the page). We feel that having the system, even in this early stage, is better then asking you to subscribe to a twitter feed. As with any of our services, we create the minimal viable feature, then expand on it.

We will post back shortly with an incident report.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Maurice Cote

For that older version that was the default, yes. Exception being if you used the shortcut to launch the 64 bit edition.

Your description of the problem would normally trigger an entry in the Windows Event Viewer, you would see something like "Application Faulting" or the likes. Since we are wednesday, could you check that there werent patches installed yesterday? You would see those in the Windows Update history.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths RDM 5.8.3.0 does not start
Maurice Cote

Hello,

Do you see the process simply appear and disappear without any window being shown, or you see some window activity?

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths RDM 5.8.3.0 does not start
Maurice Cote

Hello,

All of our services are back up, but @skoupidaki, it seems that your window layout is corrupted, please try Window - Reset layout. Also confirm that you can login.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Maurice Cote

Hello,

It should work as it stands, my only worry is that the window is not accepting keyboard input because focus is somewhere else. If you do not click anywhere, but press on a key, does it appear in the window?

If not, I'll need to assign a tech to look into this with you.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

3 mths {Space} as a Macro ?