Forum

Posts by NOTWJ1836 (NOTWJ1836)

NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

In the latest beta version of Remote Desktop Manager (version 2019.1.15.0 64-bit), where is the "File Explorer" session type? I don't see it available any longer.

5 mths Where is the "File Explorer" session type? I don't see it available any longer.
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

In RDM, is there any way to manually sort/rearrange folders located under other folders (nested folders)? By default they are listed in alphabetical order, but sometimes I would like them to be listed in a custom order instead.

For example instead of listing them in this order,

APP Folder
> DV Folder
> PD Folder
> QA Folder
> RF Folder

I would like to rearrange them to be in this order,

APP Folder
> RF Folder
> DV Folder
> QA Folder
> PD Folder

6 mths In RDM, is there any way to manually sort/rearrange folders located under other folders?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Since upgrading to RDM 2019.1.13.0 64-bit, my NoMachine add-on doesn't work.

• Existing NoMachine sessions previously created in an earlier RDM version continue to work.
  • I cannot find the add-on when I go to create a new session.
  • If I try to duplicate an existing session, it just creates and RDP session.
  • I tried re-installing the NoMachine add-on. No luck.
  • I tried uninstalling, then re-installing the add-on. No luck.

Any other suggestions?

6 mths NoMachine add-on not working after latest RDM Beta upgrade (version 2019.1.13.0 64-bit)
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Sure David, here you go. It is attached.

6 mths File explorer - see extentions
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

This does not work for me. I am using Windows 10 1809 and RDM version 2019.1.12.0 64-bit. I have File Extensions enabled for Windows Explorer in the OS, but they do not show up in RDM File Explorer.

Devolutions, do you have any suggestions on how I can have the files extensions show up?

6 mths File explorer - see extentions
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Is there a way to show/hide individual portions of Vault (Sessions, Tools/Macros, and Credentials) via Permissions. This would give enormous amount of flexibility when dealing with multiple Vaults shared among multiple teams in an organization. For example: if (3) teams each had their own vaults and they each wanted to maintain their own Sessions and Tools/Macros, but they all wanted to share (1) Credentials vault then the ability to show/hide hide those sections based on Permissions tied to Roles would allow this to easily be crafted and the users wouldn't need to see and be confused with unnecessary sections in Vaults that they don't need to see.

7 mths Have the ability to show/hide individual portions of a Vault (Sessions, Tools/Macros, and Credential
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Is there a way to make a Vault Shortcut open up right in the same UI as the original vault (in a tree view for example)? It would be nice to view the contents of the Vault Shortcut in the same UI screen as the original Vault without having to bounce back and forth between vaults and getting confused where I am and how to get back to the original vault (and vice versa).

7 mths Give option to have Vault Shortcut open up in tree view in same UI of the original Vault.
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

So, just to be clear. Even if I have just one RDM Enterprise license I am free to put/use the RDM Agent on an unlimited number of other non-RDM licensed systems for free?

7 mths Is RDM Agent free?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I use RDM with one SQL Server data source. I have 3 separate teams of users with different security requirements for their sessions/tools. Currently each team is setup with a separate vault within the data source. This works well because each team uses completely different sessions, tools, etc. But, all three teams would like to use one common credential vault shared across each of their current sessions/tools vaults. Is this possible?

7 mths Multiple, separate sessions/tools vaults with one shared credential vault?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Is the RDM Agent free to use, or do you have to have an RDM license for each system you install it on?

7 mths Is RDM Agent free?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

That worked. Thank you.

7 mths Is there any way to hash out (hide) the RDM key on the RDM - Help - Register Product page?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I am running the latest beta Windows RDM version on a SQL database. Is there any way to hash out (hide) the RDM key on the RDM - Help - Register Product page? I don't want regular RDM user's knowing the key.

7 mths Is there any way to hash out (hide) the RDM key on the RDM - Help - Register Product page?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Has this been fixed yet? If so, in what version it is fixed? I ask because I get this error as well.

7 mths System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Incorrect syntax near '0'.
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Yes, I figured that out earlier. Applying those permissions at the Repository folder level (Repository Root) does work, but it is a lot of individual permission applying on that screen and on those tabs. I just wanted to check if there was a more efficient way to do it.

Also, I noticed that even when I do that, in the RDM dashboard (on the left in the Tree View) that Permission I that I set at the Repository Root never shows up in the Permission column (which I manually added) like it does for lower lever folder permissions that I explicitly applied.

I'm sorry that I cannot show you visually what I mean but I don't think my job allows me to share any screenshot from company equipment to public forums.

7 mths Does Remote Desktop Manager have a "Repository Administrator" role within it somewhere?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Yes, if Devolutions made that change that would solve that one immediate issue and allow users to "only view" the password without changing it, but then how/where in RDM would you give them the ability to also be able to "change/edit" the password?

You guys are definitely going down the right path with Role Based Security, but in my opinion it is not quite ready for large enterprise customers who have complex IT organizations with multiple layers of management as well as multiple technical levels within their various teams. To satisfy the needs of environments like that screens like this one (I have attached) will need to have much more granular permission sets. Heck, with all that needs to be accomplished, "passwords" alone could take up their own entire tab on this one page by itself. Ex. Show Password (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Reveal Password (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Password History (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never), Password Complexity (Default, Custom, Everyone, Never).

I love Remote Desktop Manager. Please let me know what I can do to help you guys in this process. I want to do whatever I can to make this the best tool of its kind.

7 mths Where is the setting "Allow reveal password in properties"?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

If a user watches your YouTube video from Jessica Grosman (https://youtu.be/fZju2RVPhyA) discussing the difference between using your RDM legacy "Security Groups" and your new "Role Based Security System" a person would think that they should NOT use "Legacy Security Groups" if they are setting up a brand new Data Store (using SQL Server for example). Is this true? I ask because that is exactly what I did, but now I cannot find certain settings unless "Use legacy security" is enabled.

For example, I cannot find the "Allow reveal password in properties" settings withing Role Management > Privileges because the entire "Privileges" section is not there unless I enable "Use legacy security" in Data Source Settings > Security section. This is confusing. Am I missing something? Is the "Allow reveal password in properties" setting located somewhere else when the "Use legacy security" setting is disabled?

7 mths Where is the setting "Allow reveal password in properties"?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I've configured those settings and they are kludgy at best. They really aren't what I'm looking for, and they don't offer an administrator the ability to fully manage one repository but not another, or multiple repositories but not others. Currently it seems an all or nothing approach. Ideally, I would like to see these "Repository Administrator" permissions applied in a clearer manner somehow, not as an afterthought.

7 mths Does Remote Desktop Manager have a "Repository Administrator" role within it somewhere?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I have setup a SQL Data Source within Remote Desktop Manager and I am using it's Role Based Security System (not legacy "Security Groups"). I have configured Data Source Administrators, Users, Restricted Users, Repositories, Roles, and Privileges. Everything works well except that I need something that either Remote Desktop Manager doesn't currently have, or I just haven't found a way to implement it yet. I need a "Repository Administrator" role.

I have used your Remote Desktop Manager Online Help, Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, and looked at your YouTube videos, but I just can't seem to find this functionality anywhere. I need to be able to give someone full control of a repository (or multiple repositories if I so choose), but I DO NOT want this person to be a full Data Source Administrator. This person cannot have the keys to the kingdom, but they need to have full control over their own organizational structure with the Data Source (their repository). To me, having this middle layer "Repository Administrator" role would make repositories much better security/organizational boundaries than they currently are.

Is this something that Remote Desktop Manager currently has and I just don't know how to configure it? Or, is there some way I can currently configure multiple settings in Remote Desktop Manager to simulate this type of role/behavior for a user and make them a "Repository Administrator" of sorts?

NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Has any progress been made on RDM / SolarWinds integration yet? My company has a need for this as well.

8 mths Solar Winds Integration
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Jeff,

I'm just touching bases. Has any progress been made on this issue?

Thank you,

Richard

9 mths Error setting up Spiceworks Sychronizer in RDM - A template is required!
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

OK Jeff, I'll wait to hear back from you guys.

Thank you,

Richard

NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I am having trouble setting up a Spiceworks Synchronizer in RDM for Windows Enterprise Edition version 14.1.1.0 64-bit. Basically, when I try to create the synchronizer it keeps asking me for a Template to use ("A template is required!"). I don’t have a separate template, I only have whatever RDM came with by default.
What do I need to do to get past this requirement?

NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Having it's own Synchronizer would be ideal, but your suggestion of "scheduling a regular export of relevant data to a CSV file, then implement a CSV synchronizer to ingest the CSV." would be acceptable.

9 mths Import asset inventory data from Lansweeper IT Asset Management Software
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

It would be great if asset inventory data could be imported into Remote Desktop Manager (on an automated/continual basis) from Lansweeper IT Asset Management Software (https://www.lansweeper.com/).

9 mths Import asset inventory data from Lansweeper IT Asset Management Software
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Yes, that is good news because Wake Now is pretty much unusable to me without the Windows service (unattended mode) functionality.

2 yrs Wayk to replace use of vpn's ?
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I want to take the opportunity to thank Devolutions for the decision to make Wayk Now FREE for both personal AND commercial use. This shows just how much you really care about the IT community. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

2 yrs BREAKING NEWS: Wayk Now 2.0 is Now Available!
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

I am looking for a better way to sort folders and nested folders.

2 yrs Better RDM "folder" sorting option
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

When working with folders (or nested folders) within RDM, I would like an easier way to manually sort them (similar to the way we can manually sort session entries within a folder itself). Right now we have to go into the properties of each folder and adjust the priority option within the "User Interface" section (Properties > User Interface > Sort priority). This is cumbersome, time consuming, and hard to do when you have a lot of folders to sort.

2 yrs Better RDM "folder" sorting option
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

Yes, no history in the Filter Dialog would be fine with me.

2 yrs Clear "recent filters" from Filter Dialog in Windows RDM
NOTWJ1836
NOTWJ1836

David,

My company will not allow me to post a screen shot. Yes, the combo box.

2 yrs Clear "recent filters" from Filter Dialog in Windows RDM