Forum

Posts by thorsten (thorsten)

thorsten
thorsten

Apparently the same root cause: when using a relative path for the database, trying to attach a file results in an error:

error+trying+to+attach+file

relative+data+source

2 mths Overriding default configuration path creates configuration folder on desktop
thorsten
thorsten

James,

I'm sorry for the long delay. Trying to isolate the issue I likely discovered the root cause and opened another ticket: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic32007-overriding-default-configuration-path-creates-configuration-folder-on-.aspx?MessageID=129482 .

Could you please close this ticket?

2 mths Deleting attachment removes all sessions
thorsten
thorsten

[RDM 2019.1.30.0 64-bit]

Hi,

overriding the default configuration path creates configuration folder on desktop when using a relative path.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a text file called "override.cfg" in RDM's installation folder (reference: https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/installation_configurationfilelocation.htm)
  • Set the content of the file to ".\config"
  • Start RDM
  • Add an attachment to a session (this is where it goes wrong!)
  • A folder called "config" is created on the user's desktop containing "connections.log" and various configuration files (CFG, EXT, LYT) after closing RDM. These obviously belong to the config folder in RDM's installation folder.

2 mths Overriding default configuration path creates configuration folder on desktop
thorsten
thorsten

After deleting an attachment all sessions are removed from the navigation pane. After closing and starting RDM again, all sessions reappear.

2 mths Deleting attachment removes all sessions
thorsten
thorsten

David,

• the "Alt-." issue is fixed
  • the paste issue is not fixed (actually it has become worse since Unix line endings now also result in an extra empty line
  • the "invisible dark gray text" issue is fixed
  • there's an additional "Alt" issue: Alt-Tab from a SSH session to another application (say browser) and then Alt-Tab back into the SSH session. The SSH session will not receive any key strokes anymore.

2 mths Problem with paste text on ssh session
thorsten
thorsten

David,

I'm using the default theme in Textadept. Anyway, another way to generate dark gray text is to execute

echo $'\e[1;30mXXX\e[m'
in a bash shell. That will print "XXX" in dark gray with a black background. With the new terminal it's black on black.

imageimage

3 mths Problem with paste text on ssh session
thorsten
thorsten

• Alt key example: entering Alt-. (Alt plus Dot key) in a bash shell will insert the argument of the last executed command into the command line. With the new terminal, the menu of RDM is invoked - meaning Alt is not applied to the terminal SSH session inside of RDM but to the main RDM application.
  • Dark gray example: I'm attaching two screenshots of an editor on Ubuntu. The editor in question is Textadept. The dark gray text in the legacy terminal is shown as black in the new terminal and thus made invisible.imageimage

thorsten
thorsten

Under File > Options > Types > Terminal > Advanced there's an option "Use legacy terminal" which solves this and other problems - scrolling with mouse or keyboard, Alt-key, grey text invisible - with the new terminal.

thorsten
thorsten

Hi,

starting with RDM 5.0.3.0 I cannot type text into command line (external application) sessions (like cmd.exe). The issue only happens when the application is embedded (tabbed) - undocked or external works. RDM 5.0.2.0 does not show the issue. RDM 5.0.4.0 still shows the issue.

On another computer of mine, the issue seems does not occur.

Thorsten

9 mths Can't type into command line (external application) session
thorsten
thorsten

Sorry for not responding for a month!

I finally figured it out: I was running RDM from a substituted drive F: (F:\ -> C:\data\flash drive). When I used "cmd" with "Run As", RDM was looking for a command "C:\data\flash drive\Remote Desktop Manager\cmd.exe". The underlying reason likely is that substituted drives are per user - so there is no F:\ for the user "TEST". I confirmed that by running RDM from the non substituted drive.

The solution is to specify the full command (%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd) instead of just "cmd" when using "Run As" or not to use a substituted drive.

10 mths "Run As" on "Command Line (External Application)" has no effect
thorsten
thorsten

David,

the designated usage of the variable is to "feed" it to a database manager application that we call via command line. The database manager (DBeaver) creates the neccessary connections on the fly (https://github.com/dbeaver/dbeaver/wiki/Command-Line). The database is not accessible from the outside as it is considered best practice. Thus we need a SSH tunnel (VPN) to access the database from the outside.

Regards, Thorsten

10 mths $DYNAMIC_PORT$ is always 0
thorsten
thorsten

David,

every session has a VPN/SSH/Gateway entry which - when you choose SSH as VPN type - exposes the "use dynamic port" option. The dynamic SSH VPN (= SSH tunnel) works well. Just the variable seems not to get filled. See my screenshot...

thorsten
thorsten

Versions 4.6.0 64-bit and 4.9.1 64-bit

Hi,

the session variable $DYNAMIC_PORT$ doesn't work correctly. It always resolves to 0 when using a SSH VPN (tunnel) instead of the actual random port.

For testing purposes I used a command line session with the command line "cmd /k echo $DYNAMIC_PORT$".

Regards, Thorsten

thorsten
thorsten

Stefane,

RDM 4.9 (Beta) is now available. The same connection ("cmd /k whoami") errors with "ERROR SILENT Der Verzeichnisname ist ung├╝ltig" (translated "the directory name is invalid"). The error seems to come from the operating system. The equivalent runas invocation runs fine.

Thorsten

11 mths "Run As" on "Command Line (External Application)" has no effect
thorsten
thorsten

Stefane,

I've imported your sessions- it's the same as described in my initial posting: ""Run As" [...] - cmd.exe as a trivial example - has no effect. The application is always launched under my own credentials. From what I can see RDM does not even try to verify the credentials since entering a wrong username or password results in no error."

2 yrs "Run As" on "Command Line (External Application)" has no effect
thorsten
thorsten

Stefane,

I did as requested.

thorsten
thorsten

[RDM 4.6.0.0 64-bit]

Hi,

"Run As" ("Run As Different User") on "Command Line (External Application)" - cmd.exe as a trivial example - has no effect. The application is always launched under my own credentials. From what I can see RDM does not even try to verify the credentials since entering a wrong username or password results in no error.

(runas.exe works fine in RDM)

Thorsten

thorsten
thorsten

I have the same phenomenon starting with RDM 4.5.0. It only occurs when using "SSH Gateway (Jump Host)". Is that the same issue or do I have to create another bug report?

Thorsten

2 yrs [SOLVED] Closing a SSH tab makes RDM hang
thorsten
thorsten

Right now the default behaviour of SSH Shell is to close on disconnect or error and to open a modal message box on error.

My request would be a PuTTY like behaviour:
- close tab on disconnect but not on error
- Display error message in the tab session window

2 yrs SSH Shell: close on disconnect but not on error
thorsten
thorsten

I will see what I can do in order to reproduce the issue...

2 yrs Images for session change after editing
thorsten
thorsten

I'm running the latest version 3.5.5.0 on Windows 10 64-bit.

3 yrs Images for session change after editing
thorsten
thorsten

I frequently experience the following: after editing an existing session (preferably one with a custom image) the custom image changes to another custom image (one I've used for a recently created session). I'm not able to reproduce it at will but it happened dozens of times. Is that a known issue?

3 yrs Images for session change after editing
thorsten
thorsten

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I'm a KeePass user and the functionality that would be crucial to me before switching to Vault Manager would be the following: an application presents a password box, I press a hotkey and the credentials are filled in.

As I understand your answer, that is not possible because Password Vault Manager will only fill in the credentials from the currently selected entry.

3 yrs KeePass like auto-type
thorsten
thorsten

I tried that via the global hotkey Ctrl+Shift-A: nothing happened. Changed it to Ctrl+Alt-A (which is the default KeePass hotkey) and closed KeePass - still nothing happened. How does PVM "know" which login entry belongs to a certain application window? I have only one entry...

thorsten
thorsten

Hello,

I haven't been able to figure this out - even after reading the documentation: does Vault Manager support auto-filling (auto-typing) credentials into any application (like KeePass' Ctrl-Alt-A) and is the typing sequence configurable (sometimes you don't have enter the username only the password)?

Thorsten

thorsten
thorsten

One more observation: the issue only occurs when Z Shell is used as a shell ("chsh -s $(which zsh)"). You can also reproduce it without changing the login shell by using "zsh" as "command 1" (which is executed) and "ls" as "command 2" (which is typed in but not executed).

Again: the issue is not present with RDM up to version 3.0.5.0.

3 yrs {ENTER} does not work
thorsten
thorsten

Hello,

it's at 125% ("recommended") - which Windows configured at that value automatically. No idea why.

Thorsten

3 yrs Cannot enter "Custom Command Line Parameter"
thorsten
thorsten

Last note: the second parameter seems to be there but "invisible". If I press Tab in the first field and type blindly something, the receiving command receives parameter {2}

thorsten
thorsten

Interestingly, if I enter a second parameter, then the first becomes visible and editable (but not the second). In this case #1 is Host and #2 is Port. In 3.0.1.0 I can see both parameters

thorsten
thorsten

I narrowed it down: the problem starts with version 3.0.6.0 - 3.0.5.0 still works.

3 yrs {ENTER} does not work