Forum

Posts by BKeadle (BKeadle)

BKeadle
BKeadle

Thanks for providing your config (.rdm). I see it too is configured for external, and we've established that external works. Embedded does not. Switching your provided RDM to Embedded/tabbed display then also fails to pass commands.

Certainly, not a big issue, just would be nice if it could be tabbed.

8 yrs PuTTY after Login Commands not working
BKeadle
BKeadle

v 0.56

BKeadle
BKeadle

Thanks.

8 yrs Session Import - prompt for path
BKeadle
BKeadle

Got it.

8 yrs Folder dragging
BKeadle
BKeadle

smile

8 yrs Copy Session to Template
BKeadle
BKeadle

Though not exactly a bug, but inconvenient behavior - when selecting a session/folder from the tree, and dragging it across folders to place elsewhere, the folders quickly auto-expand making it difficult to move folders within datasources that have deep directory structures. Though the auto-expand of a node may be desired, could it at least delay a second or 2 before expanding?

8 yrs Folder dragging
BKeadle
BKeadle

When importing a session list, I'd like the option to be able to specify in what path to import the sessions to. Now with the sites ability, I'd like to import sessions (.XML) from one site underneath a named/defined Site container in my "AllSites" Data Source.
Or, from a select Group/Site selected, and choose to import sessions, that sessions will be imported under the selected Group/Site.
<em>edited by BKeadle on 5/7/2012</em>

8 yrs Session Import - prompt for path
BKeadle
BKeadle

Since I work in 3 separate environments and I'm using an .XML datasource on Dropbox (so it "follows me"), I'd like to be able to do all my dev-type work in one file, where with Sites I can keep them separated (I'm currently keeping 3 separate .XMLs which I'm not crazy about). But then, I would like to be able to export sessions for only a given site so that I might be able to share my sight-specific work with people at that site. So, might this be a feature request consideration for your Site functionality?

8 yrs Sites and data sources
BKeadle
BKeadle

OK. I thought I had seen a Templates folder before in an earlier version, thus I thought it was missing. And true, it's only during this build-out phase that I'm working with templates A LOT!

8 yrs Missing Templates root folder?
BKeadle
BKeadle

OK. I only tried/noticed it on VMware vCenter client.

8 yrs Focus Session for External Display
BKeadle
BKeadle

In my tree view, I have a Sessions, Credentials, and Session Script Tools root folders. Though I have templates configured, I do not see a Templates root folder. Am I missing a view or configuration option to show Templates in my All Sessions list?

8 yrs Missing Templates root folder?
BKeadle
BKeadle

When a session is configured for External, can/should the "Focus Session" option for the running session able to bring the external window forward as the active Window?

8 yrs Focus Session for External Display
BKeadle
BKeadle

What you just said is different from my request, though being able to copy templates from another data source is a nice idea.

My request is for, within the same data source, to take a configured session, and either copy it or change it to a session template.

BKeadle
BKeadle

Hmmm...there is "Duplicate Entry" - maybe that's enough?

BKeadle
BKeadle

I (finally) have a session highly configured with many sub-connections. I'd like to now be able to duplicate this as a template so I can reproduce the same sort of configuration for several other hosts. Can you make a way to copy a Session to a template?

BKeadle
BKeadle

You're welcome - and *THANK YOU* for listening and adding to your list!
smile

8 yrs Allow Adding credentials in Edit Session
BKeadle
BKeadle

Thanks. Note the updated mock-up - a text field to provide prompt text.

8 yrs Prompt for parameters to pass to Command Line
BKeadle
BKeadle

When editing a session, and given the option to browse for credentials it opens a selection list for credentials, as shown here:
, image

I'm not sure what the purpose is for "..." since the drop-down menu shows me the same items, so I thought/assumed I should be able to create a new credential entry here, instead of having to back out to create a new credential entry, then return back here to select it.
<em>edited by BKeadle on 5/6/2012</em>

8 yrs Allow Adding credentials in Edit Session
BKeadle
BKeadle

Cool - I like the idea - I'll start building it out with expectation of greater things in the future!

BKeadle
BKeadle

David Hervieux wrote:

That's what I have in mind too. We will also introduce more concept soon for the grouping and the inheritance.
edited by dhervieux on 1/27/2012

Is there any more detail/documentation about "Sites" and it's use and functional distinction between "Groups"?

BKeadle
BKeadle

Windows 7 on both test machines. I am in the Administrators group, but haven't tried logged in as the Administrator account, but running the application *AS* Administrator has the same behavior. I've tried on 2 separate machines (Win 7), one connecting to a Linux host, another one connecting to an ESX host.
<em>edited by BKeadle on 5/5/2012</em>

BKeadle
BKeadle

OK, thanks.

I was thinking it might be nice to have a "persistent template" - that is, I could make changes to the "persistent" template, and all sessions (especially sub-connections that utilize $PARENT_VARIABLES$ associated sessions to the template) would be linked to the template and thus the changes effect all associated sessions. Thoughts about that? I'm not sure if your (cool) batch edit would fill that purpose, or that having sessions linked to templates persistently is a worthy consideration. Thoughts?

8 yrs Ability to move/change sessions to sub-connections
BKeadle
BKeadle

Much like being able to organize Sessions into folders, it's be nice to be able to move/change existing sessions to be sub-connections of another session

8 yrs Ability to move/change sessions to sub-connections
BKeadle
BKeadle

Embedded config - should I use a session? I just tried using a PuTTY configured session and get the same results - works if configured for External, doesn't if configured for Embedded (and the session is goes external anyway)

BKeadle
BKeadle

I tried embedded, but it goes external (that's another thing). However, I now chose external, and it's working! So what's up with PuTTY that it can't be as an embedded session? I wonder if there is a way to fix that, whether the login commands would also work.

BKeadle
BKeadle

Here's a mock-up:

Then running the session, I'd get a prompt - free form text to enter anything that the command accepts:

BKeadle
BKeadle

I have a PuTTY sessin (SSH) connecting to a host, and my "Command 1" is to cd to a directory. This never happens. I've delayed it up to 5 seconds, well beyond after successfully connecting and logging in.

BKeadle
BKeadle

Is it possible to prompt for parameters for a command line session (for example)? I'm wanting to run a .cmd which requires parameters. I was looking for a something that would allow me to prompt for parameters, then execute the Run line and passing the entered parameters.

BKeadle
BKeadle

Having the Sub-Connections as part of a template would let me define a Template "profile" such that, for example, for every RDP Session, I'd like to automatically also have pre-configured subconnections of VM Remote Console (because virtually the whole environment is virtualized), VNC (because all my machines of VNC installed), Web Browser (because I *could* have a web-enabled management/inventory on all my machines), and Command Line, because all my computers are managed via Zenworks, and I could use the external utilities to connect to it). That would be 5 sessions types already pre-populated with a single template assignment! And then by simply populating attributes of the parent session, I'm "activating" functionality in all the subconnections. Then, applying this to the Import Computer Wizard, say I select 100 workstations to import, I would get 500 sessions defined in a matter of seconds. Now *THAT* is time savings!

8 yrs Templates to have Sub-Connections tab
BKeadle
BKeadle

Hah...what timing - I too am wanting to import my virtual machines.

8 yrs VMWare Remote Console AddOn