Forum

Posts by jkehlet (jkehlet)

jkehlet
jkehlet

christina01 wrote:

Can confirm: I hit Command+, to open Preferences, then close the window -- that act refreshes the connection browser. But editing a connection's properties, then closing out, doesn't refresh the viewer.

I didn't try the connection properties, only the Preferences. I'm glad you can confirm.

11 mths Black connection browser upon startup
jkehlet
jkehlet

Xavier, I found something curious today: I got a black connection browser window, but then I went into Preferences to change something, click OK, and the connection browser now viewed properly.

So something in your Preferences exit-routine is apparently redrawing the connection browser window properly.

Thoughts?

11 mths Black connection browser upon startup
jkehlet
jkehlet

Thank you!

12 mths RDP port number with no thousand separator
jkehlet
jkehlet

Can you please get rid of the thousand separator in the RDP port number? I know it's numerically OK to have it there, but there is an inconsistency between when you are viewing it and when you are editing it.

And TCP/UDP port numbers are never written with a thousand separator anywhere else - so it would be prudent to not have it in RDM.

/Jesper

12 mths RDP port number with no thousand separator
jkehlet
jkehlet

Sometimes (about a third of the times or so,) I get a black connection browser. You can have a look at the attached file, although it shows it as transparent in that screen shot.

It started with Mojave when I upgraded.

12 mths Black connection browser upon startup
jkehlet
jkehlet

Now that we are at the open tickets, I checked this one, and v6 has resolved this, too. So you may close this one out, too!

Thanks, Xavier!

2 yrs Flashing/disconnecting when trying RDP session
jkehlet
jkehlet

Yes, I have not had any problems so far, so I'd say this one has been put to bed! :-)

2 yrs Black screen upon connect
jkehlet
jkehlet

Also, please download the video so I can remove it from my Dropbox again. The file was too large to attach here (13.4MB)

jkehlet
jkehlet

Have a look at this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpl6h7jh3je4ayj/ConnectVideo.mov?dl=0

It is what happens with a number of servers that I try to connect to. It logs on, loses connection, retries etc. Then I get a black screen so I have to retry.

It's so bad that I essentially have to use Microsoft Remote Desktop - RDM won't connect.

/Jesper

jkehlet
jkehlet

Yes!!! :-) I'm glad you were able to reproduce. It's frustrating, so whenever you have a chance is good.

Performance is better now that I'm down to "OpenGL" but obviously looking forward to Metal being fixed.

jkehlet
jkehlet

Sent you the connection separately. I'll mess with the Legacy/Modern settings along with Metal/OpenGL etc. to check performance.

jkehlet
jkehlet

Attached are the pictures you are asking for. The Preferences are only changing from Legacy to Modern, but otherwise stays the same for my connections.

If you want, I can get you a connection to a TEST image that reproduces it?

jkehlet
jkehlet

I can confirm that the Modern Engine is horribly slow performance-wise. I could see it paint the screen, if it painted at all. I had to switch back to Legacy to actually get work done.

So far I haven't seen it with logging turned on - but doesn't the logs eventually grow very large?

Finally, to answer your question: The RDP view doesn't really respond. If I leave the black session for a minute or so, RDM automatically closes the window/destroys it. So it's almost like the handshake doesn't properly happen. There is no items etc., and when I checked the RDP session stuff from a different login/Microsoft RDP Client, I could see that it never opened up the session at all. I hope that helps.

jkehlet
jkehlet

OK, we need to revisit this - it's annoying and we need to troubleshoot. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't have a user yet, when it happens. If you look at the attached image from one of our servers, I'm logged on (jkehlet) and trying to logon as 'cgadmin'

It doesn't even show on the user list, so the black screen must be a bad handshake in the protocol initiation or something. After a while, RDM just disconnects, almost as if it says "waited long enough for an answer."

What can I do to provide troubleshooting documentation? I would really like to fix this - I'm pulling all my hair out...

jkehlet
jkehlet

Yes. If you have access to a Visual Studio environment, it's actually contained in the standard win32 header files, specifically in ntstatus.h

Here's another link for reference: http://errorco.de/win32/ntstatus-h

2 yrs Error messages should be in HEX
jkehlet
jkehlet

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2013/01/28/quick-reference-troubleshooting-netlogon-error-codes

jkehlet
jkehlet

Oh, yeah, that one. I know it's the right error message (somebody put the wrong DNS address in there, so it couldn't reach the DC,) but let me produce a log to verify. Hang tight...

jkehlet
jkehlet

Where do I find that? I looked at the connection log, but nothing in there...

jkehlet
jkehlet

I had a situation where a Windows Server that I logged onto could not find the domain controller. The error message from RDM was "Failed to connect to the host (-1073741730)."

The error message in hex is 0xC000005E, and when you search that, you get a NETLOGON error message.

When you search the -1073741730, you get nothing.

Thoughts?

jkehlet
jkehlet

No, Sandboxing on/off does change anything.

jkehlet
jkehlet

Xavier, I found another clue to the Black Screen. With v5.1.0.0 and later, it ONLY happens in Legacy mode.

When I'm in Legacy mode, some times (a lot of times,) it opens a new session with the SAME SCREEN as the session I was previously connected to/just disconnected from. If I haven't connected before, then it's black. It seems like the previous screen buffer has not been purged or something.

jkehlet
jkehlet

Exactly! Thank you!

2 yrs Saving preferences when closing window
jkehlet
jkehlet

I change RDP settings, Session type etc. And when I click the red dot, it doesn't save them. It's only when it crashes (ha! :-),) which it does when I'm testing stuff out.

jkehlet
jkehlet

When I open preferences (Remote Desktop Manager > Preferences or pressing Command-,) it doesn't save them right away. It waits until quitting the application. That's a problem when it crashes, then the settings are gone the next time I open RDM.

Can you change it to save the preferences when closing the preferences window?

/Jesper

jkehlet
jkehlet

Just happened again - beach ball after having been online for approx. 5-6 minutes with the build you gave me above.

2 yrs Unable to connect after March 13 patches
jkehlet
jkehlet

It quickly starts to use CPU and the RDP session (singular - I can forget about multiple sessions) becomes slow to unresponsive, then it would eventually either beach ball or just quit, after which the Apple error reporting dialog would show to which I click ignore. Then I would start it again. It has happened with these developer builds in the past, but never with the QA'ed build.

I will download the above version and let you know.

jkehlet
jkehlet

Xavier, any idea on when you are releasing? These interim builds are unstable on my system, causing CPU spike, beach balls etc. so I'm really looking forward to the released version...

jkehlet
jkehlet

Xavier, it very much seems like the issue I have with "black screen" in Legacy mode vs. the "Host not connected!" in Modern mode. It didn't seem to matter one bit whether Sandboxing was on or off.

I'd like to help with another dataset, if you need it. Tell me what settings to switch on/off and I'll give you results. Only caveat is that I can't produce log files with the Modern engine when it doesn't connect, while the black screen in Legacy mode seems to at least produce something.

Let me know.

2 yrs 131085 Issues
jkehlet
jkehlet

OK, downloaded 5.1.0.0 and it's working sort of OK, not great, but better than 5.0.0.0. You said to fiddle with NLA and TLS: Currently the settings are "Connect and don't warn me" and both NLA and TLS enabled.

Thoughts on how to "fiddle" with them?

2 yrs Slow & Random Issues
jkehlet
jkehlet

Xavier, I tried the build, and it actually has just a few misconnects now on Windows Server 2016. I can't comment on Joey's original post on performance, but something got fixed, that's for sure.

It still has a few misconnects as stated, but much better, so whatever you fiddled with, you are certainly going in the right direction...

/Jesper

2 yrs Slow & Random Issues