Forum

Posts by Stefane Lavergne (slavergne)

Stefane Lavergne
Stefane LavergneDevolutions staff

Thank you for the information. We will try to resolve this in the next beta release.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 days Copy Username & Password buttons are broken
Stefane Lavergne

Thank you for the update. We are able to reproduce this behavior on a machine here so I should be able to figure it out.

if you want "copy username" & "copy password" to be safe from the clipboard history you must change a system option. File > Options > General (tab) > Clipboard copy method > select "Paste once (secure)"

You can test it but I think the bug from the "copy username & password" will make it such that nothing gets pasted...

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

7 days Windows clipboard history < > copy username + password
Stefane Lavergne

@rolflobker - thank you for the notice, we've delete the message

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

8 days Office 365 Auto fill login
Stefane Lavergne

The issue has been resolved internally and should be available in the next (or next-next) beta release, I just missed the cutoff :-(

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

16 days Windows clipboard history < > copy username + password
Stefane Lavergne

RDM is translated by our community members. Register here to help

https://devolutions.net/home/contribute

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

20 days Spanish Lenguaje
Stefane Lavergne

They should both work. Wrong password maybe? I will double check the data.

PS i deleted your last post to keep your emails private.

Best regards

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

20 days Can't log in from Localizzer
Stefane Lavergne

The issue has been identified and resolved (accounts were never enabled). Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

21 days Can't log in from Localizzer
Stefane Lavergne

I've enabled both your accounts while I investigate what the issue is.

Let me know if you want me to delete the second account.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

21 days Can't log in from Localizzer
Stefane Lavergne

Also, your schema is perfect.

Did notice that you have a vault with just short of 10,000 sessions, you might want to split it for performance reasons. We usually suggest 4,000 max range for best performance but it is not always possible.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

29 days Performance release 2019.2.x
Stefane Lavergne

Marcel,

Let me know what the performance looks like tomorrow when everyone is on the system.

The new index surely helped but the "Index Maintenance" is not for nothing. I would suggest you run the maintenance on a bi-weekly or monthly schedule to keep performance at its peak.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Stefane Lavergne

Thank you for the query output it was indeed helpful.

A few things you can try:

• Create a new index (execute the following):

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE NAME = 'IX_Connections_ConnectionType_SecurityGroup' AND object_id = object_id('dbo.Connections'))
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX IX_Connections_ConnectionType_SecurityGroup ON dbo.Connections (ConnectionType, SecurityGroup) INCLUDE (Data);

• Perform index maintenance on your database (might want to this off hours, might take some time)

In RDM, Administration > Pack Data Source (Optimize) > Index Maintenance (button) or ask you DBA

• Please send me your database schema for analysis, all looks normal from the data you sent me but I want to be 100% sure

File > Data Source > Upgrade (tab) > Email Schema to Support

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Stefane Lavergne

The offline has a default expiration of 7 days. Once your offline is expired there is not much you can do.

How long ago did you last connect to your MariaDB?

Your best bet would have been to export to an .RDM file prior to the data center move. That being said, can you recover from a MariaDB backup, assuming it is not stored in the same datacenter? Maybe you have a colleague with a non-expired offline that could export the sessions.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

30 days Reload data from local cache
Stefane Lavergne

Marcel,

Thank you for the private message. I was honestly hoping for an even bigger number, 1.2MB is not very big but might still explain the difference between your home vs. VPN speed. Some of the calls in the profiler are taking 8+ seconds to execute & transfer 1.2MB that doesn't quite add up.

Are you the only user that is this slow? How about the second one in the list? They are only at 0.25MB, faster for them? Everyone else (<0.05MB)?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

30 days Performance release 2019.2.x
Stefane Lavergne

Marcel,

Sneak peek feature, we will be migrating the user's private vault into the same structure as the normal vaults. Doing this will bring us many advantages: better performance, bigger private vaults & added security, for example. Should be available in the final v2019.2 release.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

30 days Performance release 2019.2.x
Stefane Lavergne

Marcel,

Thank you for the information. I was discussing this issue with Hubert and looking at the code this afternoon and we believe that the issue has been identified.

If you could run the attached script to help us validate our assumptions. This script will output the amount of data stored for each user in the database. We only care about the last column "Row size (MB)". The underlying issue is RDM is not properly hitting its local users cache and re-fetching the user on each call, this plus the fact that we believe your user(s) might have big "Private Vaults" making the data fetch costly.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

1 mth Performance release 2019.2.x
Stefane Lavergne

Hi Marcel,

Have a look at your VPN configuration/ports/routing. It is not normal that your SQL Azure database responds differently when connecting from home vs via your VPN. You can maybe test using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) to see if you can pinpoint the issue.

As for the Check In/Out issue can you please send us your SQL Schema for analysis? File > Data Sources > Upgrade (tab) > Email Schema to Support. Please add "attn: Hubert/Stefane Topic 32486" in the subject line.

SQL Port: 1433

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

1 mth Performance release 2019.2.x
Stefane Lavergne

We will investigate what is possible. I have a pretty good idea what is going on. May need to bypass the clipboard history.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53190273/bypass-clipboard-history-in-the-windows-10-october-2018-update

The issues has been logged, thank you for the feedback.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2 mths Windows clipboard history < > copy username + password
Stefane Lavergne

@Martin, the "Use registration from data source" is "new/changed" and not yet completed, my bad. I would suggest you use the "Enterprise Edition" option instead until we get around to solving this issue.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2 mths RDM 2019.2 Beta ETA.
Stefane Lavergne

Very odd indeed, I'm glad you got it working.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2 mths SQL connection fails
Stefane Lavergne

Short answer : Microsoft removed the parameter so it no longer works

Longer/more detailed: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic31867-sql-server-management-addon.aspx#post130586

Regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

3 mths rdm 2019.1.41.0 not filling password in sql management studio 18.2
Stefane Lavergne

At the moment no, you can only have ClearTextPassword at the root and only once. It will correspond to the session type, so for RDP session it will set the RDP's password not the Proxy Tunnel.

You have work around. First define the Proxy Tunnel, give it an ID (GUID), then configure the RDP to link the Proxy Tunnel using that ID. Would look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ArrayOfConnection>
<Connection>
<ClearTextPassword>MY-PROXY-TUNNEL-PASSWORD</ClearTextPassword>
<ProxyTunnel>
<Host>asdf</Host>
<LocalHost>asdf</LocalHost>
<LocalPort>123</LocalPort>
<Port>435</Port>
<ProxyHost>asdf</ProxyHost>
<Username>asdf</Username>
</ProxyTunnel>
<ProxyTunnelMac />
<ConnectionType>ProxyTunnel</ConnectionType>
<ID>e8280ff4-6619-435d-a1d4-f23f99742cb5</ID> <== Generate a new ID for this session, will be used to link to the RDP
<Name>Proxy</Name>
<OpenEmbedded>true</OpenEmbedded>
</Connection>
<Connection>
<ClearTextPassword>MY-RDP-PASSWORD</ClearTextPassword>
<RDP>
<KeyboardLayoutText>Default</KeyboardLayoutText>
<NetworkLevelAuthentication>true</NetworkLevelAuthentication>
<SafePassword>OKAcKB0gzVo=</SafePassword>
<UserName>rtwer</UserName>
</RDP>
<VPN>
<Application>ExistingProxyTunnel</Application> <== Must be set to "ExistingProxyTunnel"
<ExistingSessionID>518c0350-3de0-4fe8-88c5-b8a2abd91d52</ExistingSessionID> <== The ID of the preconfigured Proxy Tunnel session
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Mode>AlwaysConnect</Mode>
</VPN>
<ConnectionType>RDPConfigured</ConnectionType>
<ID>f2ebcf23-265a-4eae-b1a9-6204ccd77bb2</ID>
<Name>rdp</Name>
<OpenEmbedded>true</OpenEmbedded>
<Stamp>a68dd3b9-e859-4f3d-8cf2-5ce1f20356e0</Stamp>
<Url>rdp</Url>
<UsesSerialPorts>false</UsesSerialPorts>
</Connection>
</ArrayOfConnection>

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

3 mths Webdav readonly datasource to store password
Stefane Lavergne

Use ClearTextPassword, we parse it on read only. Keep in mind you now have an .xml with clear text passwords, keep the file safe.

<Connection>
<ClearTextPassword>my_clean_session_password</ClearTextPassword> <== Must bet at the root of Connection not within RDP
<RDP>
<Domain>admin</Domain>
<KeyboardLayoutText>default</KeyboardLayoutText>
<NetworkLevelAuthentication>true</NetworkLevelAuthentication>
<SafePassword>mysessionpassword</SafePassword>
<UserName>administrator</UserName>
</RDP>
</Connection>

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

3 mths Webdav readonly datasource to store password
Stefane Lavergne

The next RDM build will have "support" for SSMS 18.

"support" what does that mean? Well, since we can't pass the password via command line in v18 the entire command line is more or less useless.

Example: start ssms with this command line:

ssms.exe -S myserver -d master -U myuser "c:\scripts\myscript.sql"
One would expect SSMS to start and prompt for the password. Well no, it will first throw an error then prompt you with the login window BUT populated with the last server/data/user from your last good connection, completely ignoring the (-S -d -U) values. But why Microsoft?

So my suggestion:

1 - Use Integrated Security (-E) or Azure Active Directory Integrated Security (-G) (now implemented)
2 - Keep SSMS v17.9.1 installed (side-by-side with v18) and configure RDM to use that version and all will keep on working.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths SQL Server Management AddOn
Stefane Lavergne

File > Options > Path > Configure Installation Path

2019+07+10+16+18+01

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths SQL Server Management AddOn
Stefane Lavergne

We understand your frustration. We will look at updating the .dll reference.

Please keep in mind we also have to be mindful of others that aren't on the latest releases of VS (Visual Studio) or SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) for example and by updating the .dll we force everyone to now install the latest version of the sql_adal. It's a complicated thing to handle when you consider that the .dll in question has seen 5 (9 if you count preview) releases in the last 6 months (18 in 18 months). Keeping up to date on the latest version isn't always feasible.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths Installed Visual Studio 2019 and now RDM won't connect to Azure SQL data source
Stefane Lavergne

Thank you for the video. The behavior is very strange, we must have a "segment" of code that doesn't take unicode characters into account. Odd things is, some words contain both good & bad unicode characters. This one won't be easy to solve. Challenge accepted.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths Letters are transformed into unreadable characters if use devutations online drive as a data source
Stefane Lavergne

Your .rdm file contains many Russian characters but it looks like there is only one that doesn't render properly.

What character is missing exactly? Is it ะป?
If you edit the group and fix it does it get corrupted again?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths Letters are transformed into unreadable characters if use devutations online drive as a data source
Stefane Lavergne

If the user is an administrator then they have "full'ish" rights to the database. For non-admins we DENY some tables & fields.

As with any Client-Server type applications if you use Integrated SQL Authentication or SQL Authentication there is not much you can do to prevent users from accessing the database directly and changing the raw data. RDM protects you as best it can with encryption of the underlying data but not all is encrypted.

So you have two choices. The first is the use the "Custom (Devolutions)" login type (see: https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?administration_usermanagement.htm). This login type only works with RDM, users can't use those credentials in SSMS for example, putting an extra layer of security between the user and the database. Warning! If the user is an administrator of the network then the user might still have rights by virtue of Windows Groups and such. Your second option is to use DPS (Devolutions Password Server) as data source which offers an even better security model.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

4 mths Problem with Windows authentication on SQL-database
Stefane Lavergne

Just to keep you informed.

We are still looking into this issue. We have made some progress and identified a few issues and are working on fixes.
- As for the double prompt: first is RDM Cloud Login, second is the datasource login, we are looking at sharing the authentication token when possible
- As for the 'the code is required' it is a "bad message" we validate the form as it opens before you can even enter the code.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

5 mths MFA and sleep / lock issue
Stefane Lavergne

It looks like an intermittent login/connection issue with Azure SQL. We will need to add more robust retry logic when the error occurs. In the mean time, "Go Offline" + "Go Online"/F5 is a work around.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

5 mths SQL Login Error "provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer availab"