Forum

Posts by ppp3 (ppp3)

ppp3
ppp3

The news letter indicated that WaykNow 3.0 was RTM, is this the case and should we switch over to the release version & validate it?

2 yrs CTL-ALT-DEL on server core freezes at logonui.exe, requires disconnect / reconnect to use
ppp3
ppp3

The new Beta (8) does fixxthe screen crash on MacOS when connecting however on Server Core after the CTL-ALT-DEL is issues & password provided the session freezes up rather than crashing. Discponnect & Reconnect are required to see that you have logged in and the session is accessible.

2 yrs CTL-ALT-DEL on server core freezes at logonui.exe, requires disconnect / reconnect to use
ppp3
ppp3

The sequence does go through and core prompts for the password, as soon as the PW is provided WaykNow client crashes.

Crash report is attached. image

2 yrs Client crashes on MacOS Mojave after sending C TL-ALT-DEL
ppp3
ppp3

It works and install/ upgrade was painless! Well Done

2 yrs CTL-ALT-DEL does not work on Server Core
ppp3
ppp3

Here's the exported session

2 yrs Remote access to Server Core does not work
ppp3
ppp3

ppp3
ppp3

Tried copying it over and yes it worked, also crashed Wayknow client on my Mac as soon as it logged in.

I figure it this way. If TeamViewer & Royal TSX can do it without the sas.dll then you can too and I'll just need to be content & wait rather than dump .dll's on my hyper-v hosts that may/may not have aotherside effects.

ppp3
ppp3

I'm on a Mac and I'm sorry but I don't see any option to change any of the types or add/remove any plugins or engines as there is on the Windows version.

ppp3
ppp3

Is it possible to edit a global .cfg file and push it into the installation folder immediately after the install to have it take effect on the reboot?

Also, as we've discovered, unless the reboot is immediate there may be problems with the TLS services, so could this file be pushed into place first and would the install keep it, or overwrite it?

2 yrs Add options to MSI command line to facilitate remote installation or installation on server core
ppp3
ppp3

It flashes up quickly & goes away "Graphics mode not supported".

Happens regardless of mode, does not happen with competitor's products that utilize free RDP

The WaykNow team has a server core test bed yo may want to try it against.

ppp3
ppp3

Yah Server Core is an animal unto it's own genus but one that's going to be extremely prevalent in the IT forest quickly.

Bottom line is it requires considerably less maintenance & patching than the GUI version, it runs faster & uses considerably less resources so it handles it's assigned roles better, & it's the only flavor that M$ will be supplying that does not have an end-of-life built into it.

FWIW VNC doesn't work with it either, probably for the same reasons. It's also causing issues with Remote Desktop Manager's RDP implementation with a "graphics mode not supported" error.

ppp3
ppp3

Please do me a favor and keep a server 2016 Core test server up and also you may consider a server 2019 test bed of both Core & GUI

2 yrs Beta 6 breaks windows native RDP!!!!
ppp3
ppp3

The registry for lsmproxy can't be written to while the server is runniing upset
Looks like I need to use the same steps I did on the other server to recover

ppp3
ppp3

Well some good news at least.

Install Beta 5 complete, reboot, remove RDS but choose the option that will require reboot by not stopping the services, reboot manually with restart-computer in PoSh and RDP is once again working.

ppp3
ppp3

I may have lucked out. Installing Beta 5, with RDS, has restored RDP capability to one of he Hyper-V hosts (Server 2016 Core).

I'm testing now to see if I can safely remove RDS while keeping RDP know that in a worst case scenario I can return to the full Beta 5 installation until you come up with a fix that works.

ppp3
ppp3

I did ask if I should remove the service using Beta 5 first and then upgrade to 6. In hidsight this would have been the way to go.

Fortunately teamviewer works on Server 2016 Core so I've regained some ability to manage my infrastructure for now but I still need to get RDP working on both of those hosts.

ppp3
ppp3

Removal via the Beta 5 change is safe, RDP is not affected.

Is there a possibility that repeating the process with the beta 5 installer and then removing RDS may restore RDP on those hosts?

ppp3
ppp3

I'm testing that on one of my GUI base servers now to make sure that RDP is not affected when Beta 5 removes the RDS from WaykNow.

ppp3
ppp3

I need to get RDP active on my hosts ASAP. I can't manage my entire infrastructure w/oi it.

If I remove the Remote Desktop component from the existing beta 5 installs is the same thing going to happen?

ppp3
ppp3

The removal of the remote desktop services completely breaks windows native RDP. I now have two Hyper-V servers (Core) that I'm unable to manage

I'm not touching any more servers or workstations until this is fixed and I need a fi to get RDP working on my Hyper-V hosts that does not involve a complete re-install of the OS.

ppp3
ppp3

Yes I did install it, do I need to remove it before switching to beta 6? Or, if there are no other differences, can I just remove that component and save having to reboot everything again?

2 yrs Second reboot may be required to enable TLS connections
ppp3
ppp3

Any attempt to connect to Server 2016 Core with RDP reports that the graphics mode is not supported. This is not the case with other, similar, products.

VNC is useless on Server Core since you can't send the CTL-ALT-DEL sequence to it so RDP is the only method that consistantly works, except in RDM.

ppp3
ppp3

The downside to that is that many management functions on servers must be carried out on the console session. You'll need to have a method, like RDP itself, to designate if you want the console or not. For workstation OS, it's a moot point since you can only have the console session (unless you have a workaround for that).

2 yrs Unattended access & services install & work on Windows 10 Enterprise
ppp3
ppp3

Some further information on this. If you reboot immediately after the install, that is from the prompt put out by the installation itself, then the second reboot is not required. If you delay the reboot, to allow applications to close, etc.. then the additional reboots are required.

ppp3
ppp3

well it's a bug in the sense that you indicate it should not work. It's positive in the sense that I'm glad it does work.

Still required three reboots however to get it working smile

2 yrs Unattended access & services install & work on Windows 10 Enterprise
ppp3
ppp3

Well it's a moot point on this server at least, my 25TB JBOD just died so it's out of commission until Saturday.

The problem with using the WaykDen access code is having to know it before you connect to the machine inorder to do that you need to make sure your fire up wayknow and write it down and keep it somewhere that you'll remember it. Not such a good option. Again, being able to see the ID's associated with my machines, and manage how they can be connected to is a very high priority and honetsly something that every other vendor of similar products offers even on the free tiers.

ppp3
ppp3

I would use waykden but thus far there's little to no documentation on it and I don't like the idea of anything about my servers being in the cloud where I don't have access to log in and control who may do what with that information and/or those connections. Steer me towards a user management console for it where I can configure my systems in it and I'll consider it, otherwise it's a no-go for me (and probably any other administrator with a security background)

ppp3
ppp3

On a third server, second reboot did not fix the problem, attempt to repair the service hangs at stopping services (has happened two times now) and any attempt to manually stop the WaykNow service fails to complete with the service hung at 'stopping'

I'm on to my third reboot on this server now which does not make me a happy camper.

ppp3
ppp3

I've also tried, and in some cases had to, remove the certificate & credentials from the cache and get them all over again.

ppp3
ppp3

The first time the error is that it is unabl;e to establish a TLS connection

den is enabled but I'm going direct via DNS name