Forum

Posts by tymbrwlf (tymbrwlf)

tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

I'm still VERY interested in this but I'm also curious about an OSX version as well. You mentioned that previously (a few years back) but I only see a Windows download. Did OSX get shelved?

3 yrs Linux Port of Remote Desktop Manager
tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

Does it only ping hosts that have been entered or does it ping the entire LAN looking for replies? If so, I think that may be what happened. I did enable that. That was a very expensive option for me to enable.

6 yrs Remote Desktop Manager AutoDiscovery
tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

I'm certainly not placing blame but something started scanning. This was a clean install of Windows 7 with the normal compliment of company software installed. I only installed RDM and started manually entering some RDP entries then boom; blocked. I wasn't sure if it the latest release might have added some sort of autodiscovery or LAN polling functionality. Does the "Check for Host Availability" ping all hosts constantly when RDM is open? That may have been it but it's odd that there were other monitoring solutions in use that do that same thing and did not generate a firewall blockage.

tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

I was wondering if RDM has this function and if so, is it enabled by default? The reason I ask is that I had just started a new job after having been unemployed for 3 months. I got permission to install RDM and shortly afterwards, the company's internal firewall blocked my network access due to "suspicious behavior" coming from my desktop. I was reprimanded and terminated a few days later for a violation of security policies. No other non-standard software had been installed; this was the only program I had added to my workstation.

If this feature IS enabled, I suggest that you disable it by default so that no one else ends up in a similar situation.

If it does not have this functionality, then I will have to investigate further to ensure that this doesn't happen again when I am able to find another job. I'm just trying to figure out what got me fired.
edited by tymbrwlf on 11/5/2014

tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

That's what I'm doing now. I just figured that I could configure an "After Connect" event that would do that. Thanks anyway.

6 yrs Start Web Browser After Successful RDP Connection
tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

I have several devices on a remote network that are only accessible via the local network (192.168.1.x). To get to these devices, I must fist RDP to one of the servers on that network and then open a web browser to get to the admin interface. Is there a way to set up a session to automatically do this?

Step 1 = Connect to remote computer
Step 2 = Open Web browser at specific address after remote connection is established. (i.e. Open a tab at https://192.168.1.50 in Firefox).

If I can do this via scripting, it would be great if I could get some tips (I'm new to scripting).

Thanks in Advance

6 yrs Start Web Browser After Successful RDP Connection
tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

Funny that you mention using a VM as an alternative. I manage a datacenter with a lot of physical servers and a VMware ESX 4 Infrastructure with several hundred VMs. That is what prompted me to identify a solution from which I could centrally manage different systems through a variety of methods. I have Windows Servers, Linux Servers, Cisco Switches, etc. I know about the VM option; I would just prefer something that I could use natively. I don't often need to manage things from my laptop but if I'm offsite or traveling, it makes life a lot easier if I don't have to jump through hoops to do my job.

Vmware has not released a native linux Virtual Infrastructure client yet either so I may need to rethink things for the time being.

Thanks for the input!

11 yrs Linux Port of Remote Desktop Manager
tymbrwlf
tymbrwlf

My company recently purchased RDM and I love it. I finally am able to consolidate all of my various logins/etc into one centrally managed location using the Enterprise edition. Great work!

My question is are there any plans to port this great application to Linux? I use Ubuntu on my laptop and have not had any success in finding an equivalent with all of the great features that I've come to depend on (RDP, SSH. VNC. URLs, FTP, etc). If this is already in the works, great and I can't wait! If not, I would like to ask that you please consider this for a future release.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

11 yrs Linux Port of Remote Desktop Manager