Forum

Posts by phillipj (phillipj)

phillipj
phillipj

David Hervieux wrote:

We haven't been able to reproduce it for now. However we plan to expand the Putty code soon and use it a replacement of the current rebex engine. Could you give more details on what is missing?

I can't imagine you guys would be able to recreate the functionality and tight intergradation of the rebex ssh/telnet engine with putty without significant changes and baking their source code into RDM. Are you guys actually planning on dropping your license to use rebex's telnet/ssh libraries and completely replacing it with putty or would we still have both options?

To anyone having to use putty as a work around, the "close window on disconnect" option (turned on by default) is causing this issue. Uncheck that and the native SSH client stops crashing.

5 yrs Crash on SSH timeout
phillipj
phillipj

1. Would love to have the "reconnect" action triggered by a double click to/on an open tab, especially for embedded SSH/Telnet sessions. On that same note, when a disconnected tab is selected but still open in RDM, would love to have it reconnect by hitting the ENTER key similar to how Secure CRT works with disconnected sessions that are still open in a tab. This when selected in tree view, but that's not helpful once you've navigated away.

2. the ability to "right click, view password" on the tab entries would be great. We can currently do this from tree view but sometimes this is needed when you are no longer on the data source the session was opened from. Since right-click reconnect works on a tab that was open from the non-current data-source, I suspect the session properties used to launch the connection are still attached somehow so this should be easy to display.

3. right click "execute script in terminal across multiple open tabs would be nice and allow that feature to work across sessions that exists in multiple data sources. Actually, the ability to multi-select the open session tabs would be needed for this to work but should allow bulk edit and other common nav-tree multi-select features to work this way also.

4. Along the lines of multi-selecting across open TABs, would be great to have a "crate playlist from the selected items" feature be available. Currently, the selecting items for a new play list is very cumbersome due to the lack of search.

5. This is a wish list at best since I know the embedded SSH/Telnet clients are coded by a 3rd party. Would love to see a color pallet or html color code options available for selecting background and font colors for terminal colors. The current 16 options available do not allow people who with eye sight problems that are used to putty and secure CRT to mimic their specific preferences due to the limited color choices. great job making that a global preference by the way!!!! smile

6. huge wish list, but will RDM's database ever be re-architected in a way that makes it usable for 5000+ sessions? We have 15,000 devices spread across three data sources due to the performance hit by having them in one (minutes long delays editing objects, locks ups scrolling through tree view or using filter, ect..) in our large enterprise and managing shared passwords and common links across all three is a nightmare. I know this has been brought up before with forum posts and tickets, just wondering if it's still on your radar.

Wish you all the best and happy holidays!
edited by phillipj on 12/27/2014

6 yrs Christmas Wish List
phillipj
phillipj

That would be outstanding!

6 yrs Searching in a folder
phillipj
phillipj

Love the advanced search feature, very helpful! Is there a way to load the results of a saved advanced search into the Navigation tree? I want to refactor the results of an advanced search, but can't seem to do that from it's native dialog.

Also, is there a way to use basic search operators in the normal search/filter box at bottom left of Navbar? I just need to search for something like: ("INV" and "WAN Routers"). Is that possible?

6 yrs Searching in a folder
phillipj
phillipj

David Hervieux wrote:

We have a new version available:

http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.10.0.11.0.zip
http://download.devolutions.net/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.10.0.11.0.exe

== Change History ==

- Added remote service management
- Added Spiceworks as a tool
- Fixed a possible issue with the SSH and the keep alive
- Fixed an issue with the macro script and some unresolved variables
- Minor UI tweaks

Thanks for all your hard work and quick responses!
FYI, Unresolved variable issue was fixed. SSH bug that crashes RDM after SSH session timeout when "close window on disconnect" box is checked still present.

edited by phillipj on 11/14/2014

6 yrs Remote Desktop Manager 10.1 Beta
phillipj
phillipj

no, typing macro variables are not working at all. Instead of typing the contents of the variable, it's literally typing the name of the variables themselves..

so like instead of my username getting filled in, the typing macro enters $username$ .. make sense?

This is for anywhere you use a typing macro.. does no matter if parent or child.

phillipj
phillipj

How do I submit a bug report for 10.0.10.0 beta? SSH / Telnet , parent/ & sub connections are now passing the variable names ($USERNAME$ for instance) instead of the variable contents in typing Macros. It worked properly in 10.0.4.0.
edited by phillipj on 11/12/2014

phillipj
phillipj

Yep, it's a bug with "close window on disconnect" in SSH Shell that locks RDM some of the time. We don't like that option anyway so have updated all our templates to uncheck that box. Now we just have a few thousand devices to apply it to LOL

6 yrs Crash on SSH timeout
phillipj
phillipj

I think the "close window on disconnect" option (turned on by default) is causing the issue. Testing now with that turned off to see if it resolves the issue.

phillipj
phillipj

Leep alive is set to default, 0. I can reproduce this in a few minutes time by setting the exec-time out value on a Cisco switch to 1 minute on a SSH Shell session using "My personal Creds" to login and with no other customization. After letting it time out a couple times it will lock up RDM and require a restart.

phillipj
phillipj

saw this last week for first time, I think you need to check "Implicit carriage return on line feed" or one of those terminal settings to solve this.

6 yrs Telnet for HP ProCurve Switches
phillipj
phillipj

Scratch that, it still crashes RDM even with that box unchecked at least half the time. This is a huge bug for a global enterprise using this as replacement for Secure CRT & putty with thousands of SSH sessions. I really hope you fix it in upcoming releases.

I saw that SSH dispose update this morning for the latest beta and got all excited, but then learned that was an unrelated issue upset

Good work on per client terminal colors though, that was a big win for my team!

phillipj
phillipj

My team experiences the exact same issue, and we currently use RDM to manage thousands of devices via embedded SSH. Unchecking "exit command on disconnect" seems to keep the program from crashing, which is an improvement. However, the tab the session was open in now closes automatically which is not the desire behavior since we often come back to sessions after they time out to reconnect from the task bar to avoid having to change data sources or finding the device again.

Any chance you can work with the third party vendor or modify your intergradation to address the root cause of this bug? Again, this does not happen with the built in telnet client or putty.

I'm running the beta that came out this morning but have seen this behavior since version 9.

Thanks,

phillipj
phillipj

Thanks David, that would be huge and I think your right it should not be hard to implement. The key is to make it a client option. Having to "edit user specific settings" on 1000s of objects after the fact, or every time a new device is added would be less than optimal to say the least.

Rumpler, thanks for the tip. I thought about going that route but Putty is just too clunky (slow to load and close), no search in window, alt-tab requires extra click because it’s an external program running on top of RDM, and the biggest is session recording is nowhere close to RDM's imbedded client with its extensive list of variables.

Integrated ssh/telnet is way to go for sure, and would be perfect if individuals could modify terminal color settings to what works/looks best for them.

6 yrs Modifing "Terminal Using Color"
phillipj
phillipj

My Company has a Global Enterprise License and I'm trying to get my team to use RDM as a replacement for putty and SecureCRT. One thing holding it back is that there are users on my team with widely varying opinions on what the ssh/telnet terminal background and text color should be. Some like high contrast, some like low, and everyone has a color preference.

We can't seem to find a way to modify this preference on a per client bases without modifying the connection entries themselves which changes it for everyone. In fact, this is not even an option under "edit user/machine specific settings).

Is there a way to modify the default value of "terminal using color" via a client option or text file so that everyone can set this to suit his or her individual preferences?

Thanks,

6 yrs Modifing "Terminal Using Color"