Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

MSSQL Server connection

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I'm really having a hard time setting this up. On the database section of the Remote Desktop Manager Settings dialog box, if I enter in my SQL server, the username and password of a SQL admin user and click on Test Server, it says "Unable to connect to the server! Logon failed for user ..." The user has sysadmin permissions on the instance I'm connecting to, as well as the RDMS database. Now, if I check the "Integrated security (Not recommended)" box, I successfully connect to the server when I click "Test Server", but when I try to browse to the RDMS site (http://localhost/rdms/), it looks like the local machine account is attempting to connect to SQL, which is of course failing. Here is the exact error:

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'MYDOMAIN\THIS_SERVER$'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'MYDOMAIN\THIS_SERVER$'.]    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +578    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +88    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +6322983    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +258    Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Server.DatabaseManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String sql, IDbDataParameter[] parameters) in c:\Dev\devolutions\Websites\RemoteDesktopManagerOnline\Common\Managers\DatabaseManager.cs:231    Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Server.DatabaseManager.SaveErrorData(String sql, IDbDataParameter[] parameters) in c:\Dev\devolutions\Websites\RemoteDesktopManagerOnline\Common\Managers\DatabaseManager.cs:675 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.7905; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.7905

The firewall is properly configured on both the SQL and the web servers, and I can telnet to the SQL port from the web server. Is there any assistance you can provide as to this error?

Thanks!

Mike

Clock6 yrs

Do you want to use domain accounts exclusively?

We can work on the first issue, or set up the environment for AD integration.

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I would like to use domain accounts exclusively. We're really keen on the idea of controlling access to different groups of rdp connections via AD groups.

Thanks!

Mike

Clock6 yrs

So you need to give access to the DB for the user account running the web site.

I create an account just for that purposes so I can grant that account only the permissions it needs on the domain resources. After that is done, you grant the account access to the database, it will need read and write permissions.

You then set the account credentials in the application pool that is running your RDMS web site, thats in IIS.

As for the RDMS settings, I always recommend to have both "domain user" and "RDMS user" for a break-in period, when you are comfortable with the whole setup, you can disable the "RDMS user" option if you wish. Ensure that there is at least always one user with the "administrator" permission.

You create the users by using the "integrated security" option, you will be able to browser the domain for the user account you wish to grant access to.

As for the domain integration, the OU containers are linked to what is called a Role in our system. You can read http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/administration_rolemanagement.htm for details on this.
edited by mcote on 12/16/2013

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hello Maurice, and thank you for the information! I got the correct identity configured for the RDMS app pool, and the site is working now.

I still cannot set up the database connection using a user account instead of integrated security. I have a gotomeeting with you today, so we can go over these things there. I will also update this thread in case others have this same issue.

Thanks,

Mike

Clock6 yrs