Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

better RDP screen scaling

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

The current RDP screen scaling (the "smart sizing" option) just squeezes everything into your current screen size and doesn't seem to care about aspect ratio. This drives me a little nuts. Can you make the scaling respect the aspect ratio?

Clock5 yrs

We don't have any control on this. This is handled by the RDP ActiveX unfortunately. You will get the same behavior with RDCMan. The workaround is to do a reconnect to force the resolution refresh of RDP.

Sorry about that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Maybe I didn't explain it quite right....I've seen this done before.

I don't mean that I need it to resize when I scale the window, but when I first connect, it should just shrink to fit my screen size (keeping the aspect ratio). This is how it's done in VNC Manager (which is what I'm coming from) and also how the RDP metro app in windows 8 does it. It just shrinks the whole thing down by x% to fit the size of your window upon launching the session....after that, f you resize it, it gets screwy with the aspect ratio too.

Clock5 yrs

Hi Andrew,
Could you post a print screen of what you get when you connect? Have you set the "Fit Embedded RDP in window" property?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Looks to me like the problem only happens when you use certain screen sizes...I'd accidentally set this session to use a wide screen size (1280x800). this is what it looks like with smart Sizing (and fit embedded rdp window is always checked for me, and disabled...ie, I can't change it).

Capture[1]

Worth pointing out that my own display is 4:3 (not wide screen)....so maybe the problem is happening when you apply the smart scaling to a display size that's in a different aspect ratio than the machine running RDM? I mean, If I change this session's resolution to something that's 4:3, then it scales just fine...

Capture[1].PNG
Clock5 yrs

Update: I don't think this is only happening when I set the session's display resolution to a different aspect ratio than my own. I just tried one now that was set to 1280x1024 (which is 4:3, same as my own) and it's squished the same way as my screen capture. Not sure what the pattern is, but it's definitely not scaling correctly sometimes.

Clock5 yrs

I guess this really should be moved to the bugs section - should I repost there? Or can it be moved?

Clock5 yrs

It's already logged in our bug tracker, you don't need to post it on another thread.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Ok - just hadn't seen a reply, so I wasn't sure that it was seen. thanks!

Clock5 yrs

No problem.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs