Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

integration with LastPass.com vs RDM Online

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

After seeing KeePass integration in the new beta I was about to suggest integration with LastPass. Then before I could make this suggestion I found out about RDM Online and am guessing the two would be at cross purposes.

It might be worth considering though. I don't have the faintest idea how you really work RDM Online but it sounds like you are connecting to something like a SQL Server Azure (cloud based) database. From an IT security perspective I would worry about that connection. One of the things I really like about LastPass is that although they store your data, they only get it as encrypted data since all encryption occurs on the client side. When you log into LastPass your userid and password are hashed locally and used to access your encrypted connection data at LastPass.com and your "vault" gets download and decrypted locally. My understanding is that this is very secure. (At least according to Steve Gibson http://twit.tv/sn256)

The problem with LastPass is that their UI sucks which is where RDM comes in... (Or where I'd like them to come in.)

Don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing RDM or saying it's not secure because I'm neither knowledgeable enough nor qualified to make that assessment. I just wanted to suggest integration with LastPass since I do have a certain amount of trust in them as a cloud based password manager solution. Although I've only been using RDM for a few weeks it seems like one of the best Remote Connection Manager products out there and the two together sound like they cover all my personal and professional needs.

Thanks!

Hmm... In rereading this post it occurs to me that for RDM in a corporate environment it would make the most sense to just enterprise license it and host the sql server database ourselves. Problem solved!

So, now I'm wondering... Would I have any need for RDM Online or a similar cloud-based solution. Might be nice for personal use but then again I'm a Linux person which more or less puts this outside of my personal sphere.

Thoughts? Anyone? Somehow I feel like I just had an argument with myself and lost.
<em>edited by bbartlett on 12/22/2010</em>

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion, it's a very interesting post. I really want to do an integration with LastPass, this will be terrific. The problem is that I can't find anyway of doing that. If you have an idea how we can achieve that I will gladly add this.

For the security on Remote Desktop Manager Online, we thought of that and all the encryption is done on the client. you can set the security provider in the database property and configure your own key. This why it's not possible to edit a session directly online, because all the content is encrypted and the web server is unable to decrypt it. The only thing you can change, it's the name, the security group and the description. One of the main advantage is for the people not working from the office, they don't need to setup a VPN to get the information. Also, the database installation and maintenance is handled by Microsoft and Devolutions. There is no SQL Server to install and backup. RDMO is only at the version 1.0, we have many ideas related to that, for example we want to include a wiki and some monitoring widget. This will be cool to be able to monitor your server or get the customer information from an IPad... we have so many ideas for 2011 for RDM, RDMO and moresmile By the way, our first RDMO tutorial will be online soon and we will complete the second one after the Christmas vacation.

I hope to hear from you soon.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

dhervieux wrote:

Hi,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion, it's a very interesting post. I really want to do an integration with LastPass, this will be terrific. The problem is that I can't find anyway of doing that. If you have an idea how we can achieve that I will gladly add this.

For the security on Remote Desktop Manager Online, we thought of that and all the encryption is done on the client. you can set the security provider in the database property and configure your own key. This why it's not possible to edit a session directly online, because all the content is encrypted and the web server is unable to decrypt it. The only thing you can change, it's the name, the security group and the description. One of the main advantage is for the people not working from the office, they don't need to setup a VPN to get the information. Also, the database installation and maintenance is handled by Microsoft and Devolutions. There is no SQL Server to install and backup. RDMO is only at the version 1.0, we have many ideas related to that, for example we want to include a wiki and some monitoring widget. This will be cool to be able to monitor your server or get the customer information from an IPad... we have so many ideas for 2011 for RDM, RDMO and moresmile By the way, our first RDMO tutorial will be online soon and we will complete the second one after the Christmas vacation.

You could implement this easy by loading the entire browser into the embedded window and not just a sub module, this will use the plugins (either Firefox or IE)...

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I don't understand, how I'm suppose to load the browser in a window ? What is the integration, there is no link between RDM and LastPass. For me an integrate will be to get the username / password for the RDP session and share it between multiple user.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

If I use the command to open an mmc console it will be tabbed, why I couldn't do it with an IE window ?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
This is not that simple, the MMC console only open mmc add-on.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

dhervieux wrote:

Hi,

Sounds like the security for RDMO is covered.

As for integrating with LastPass that's kind of hard since they don't seem to have an API to work with but I did have two thoughts...

Add a webserver to RDM such that it would take a session ID, login and password and launch a session within RDM. Maybe even expose the list of defined sessions to make getting the data into LastPass easier although it would probably be fairly simple to create an export file in a format that LP would understand. Anyway, since LP doesn't care whether the URL is on the internet or on your local machine that ought to be able to allow LastPass to kick off an RDM session by passing the Data Source ID and Session ID. (Dunno how possible this is since I'm a DBA not a programmer!)

Another thought would be to use the LastPass for Applications that comes with an Enterprise account. The downside there is that the 'application' must be an executable and it cannot have any parameters. (Eeesh, who came up with that restriction???) Otherwise the command line from the advanced - Internal Informations area would be perfect. So I guess to make it work you'd have to have a unique executable for each session which even if workable sounds like something AV software would have a heart attack over.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I will think about that, maybe we could do something with the web site, it's a good idea. For LastPass for application, I tried it and it crash for me when I start it, so I will have to wait for a more stable version.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Have you tried the latest beta, Last Pass is integrated ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs