Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

local dns

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I'm working at some sites that now require me to setup two sessions per server, or I need to manually change my host file.

When I am offsite I need to use an the public url or ip, and when onsite I can only use the internal ip. Setting up a VPN connection to the outside world from inside is not always possible.
It would be great if I could use a dns name (or alias) and be able to specify if the dns should be resolved by the normal dns provider or that a local host-like file should be used to get the needed ip.

Clock8 yrs

What you need is a router that is smart enough to know that it is looping back onto itself when resolving the ip of the hostname from inside the network.
There is a term for this but it escapes me at the moment. More common to the newer routers. SonicWALL does this and probably others. Here is an example.

You have public dns for a hostname of secure.domain.com that resolved to a public ip such as 72.12.57.64.
When you are outside this network you can get to the public ip just fine using the host name.
Now if you are inside this network and use the same host name the router knows this and points you to the internal NAT'd ip.

Hope this helps in some way.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I'm also planning to support multiple host in the same session with an auto detect (by using a ping) or a prompt for the selection.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

sounds good. As I am on multiple site and per site have multiple sessions, it would be good i I could use some global switch/selection to indicate where I am, so that all the sites for that site directly are aware of what host to use. ping is not always good, as these might be swallowed.

Clock8 yrs

hi, the alternate hosts in the 12 beta works good.
Points of improvement:
1. have a description that also displays on connection

2. being able to have add these alternatives (and the primary) to a host group
- being quickly able to quickly use the hosts for (1 or more) hosts groups (and perhaps setting this group when running a vpn or ssh session, but at least also manual)
in stead of having to rely on ping for availability (might nog always work) or asking the user

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I will try to improve the alternate host, especially for the VPN part. What do you mean by host group, do you have a specific implementation in mind ?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Re the groups:

Say I have some RDP sessions for customer A. When onsite I can use specific hostnames/ip's to connect to these.
When I'm offsite, I have to use a different set of ips/hostnames, sometimes even different ports. I cannot use ping to determine which one I should use.

With the current implementation of alternat host I have to prompt for the location for each session. However, I know in what mode I am, and thus what alternate host or the main host I need to use.
If I can mark the alternate host as 'external customer A', and somehow make RDP aware that I want to automaticly use the 'external customer A' alternate host, this would be great.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
This is a great improvement, I added it to our todo list for a future version.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

David,

re the alternate hosts:
can we have a more intergrated view of the host and alternate hosts?

per entry:
- host name/ip (with port)
- host group
- small comment line
- auto detect Y/N
- detect with ping Y/N
- detect with active session Y/N [1]
- name active session
- open vpn(sesson) Y (default) / Y (specified) / N [2]
- name vpn session [2]

ad 1 - if I have a specific session running, eg a ssh, I want to use this host. This session might activate a hostgroup, but is not required to do so.
ad 2 - I might need not the default vpn session, but another one. Only to be run when given vpn is not yet active

When I want to use a session and I have enabeld smart detcteion (autodetect + prompt):

- if a host group is active: use the hosts in the list with the given hostgroup

-- with only 1 host it will use that one
-- for the first host with autodetect and if it pings / the given session is active: use the host
-- otherwise prompt: show host name, host group, comment line, if it pings, if the session is active, and when vpn is to be opened (option to show all entries outside th hostgroup)
- if no hostgroup is active, repeat the above (hostgroup is then to have all included)

Eg:
1. some-srv-name | group-athome | server at home (internal)| auto detect | with ping | no session | - | no vpn | -
2. localhost:12345 | - | via running ssh | auto detect | no ping | with session | ssh-home | with vpn | ssh-home

When at home, it uses host 1
When external, and already running ssh-home, it uses host 2
When external, and not yet running ssh-home, it prompts so I can select host 2 --> this will run ssh-home prior to connecting to the host

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I added this to our todo list, but this will not be possible for the current version. It's interesting, but there is a lot of work and testing behind this small request.

Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

dhervieux wrote:

Hi,
I added this to our todo list, but this will not be possible for the current version. It's interesting, but there is a lot of work and testing behind this small request.

No problem. What you have build for this release is already a big improvement, and I even I do not consider this "a small request". If you need further help....

Clock8 yrs